Random Shenmue Thoughts

View attachment 6656

Merry Christmas, everyone. Played some Shenmue while staying with my parents thanks to Redream and a dongle with an HDMI out ๐ŸŽ„

Pff, I have a Sony Xperia, so (until a few weeks ago, damn technology), I was one of the few who could just play it on the app, in the same way; no dongles, no wires, just silky smoothness :D

Merry Christmas, Amir!

Playing Shenmue Undub via Redream, the music drowns out dialogue, especially in cutscenes. Did this happen on Dreamcasts as well? I asked on the Redream Discord and someone else had the same problem via the emulator so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

I just got that Dreamcast book @Amir referenced. Loved the Shenmue interview, particularly where they mention Yu Suzuki's attention to apparently useless details. Basically, why render a bunch of vegetables in a shop if you can't actually buy them? "It wouldn't be a vegetable shop if it doesn't have vegetables!" - Yu Suzuki

Mine should be coming soon, so I'm looking forward to adding it to my shelf :D.

BTW, @Amir, I don't know if it was conveyed the way I intended it, but that last post about playing on my phone, was all tongue-in-cheek; no smugness intended, I promise!

I prefer the low res DC font and the S3 font.

Playing Final Fantasy X remaster on Switch and realize that Shenmue had a better English dub with way better sync to mouth flaps than that game.

Okay, so this might seem like a weird place to put this but... I was watching the new Pokemon Sword/Shield DLC stuff and the artwork for one of the new Pokemon really caught my eye.

urshifu.png

Look at this! That is without a doubt an elbow assault. I immediately thought of Ryo when I saw this. And then of course I noticed the headband, so... Akira, is that you? Looking at the Gigantamax then, even that has way to close of a match in pose for a coincidence.

gigantamaxurshifu1.jpg

latest

I call it now, this fighting/dark typ is at least in part inspired, if not even directly based on Akira Yuki.
So we're going to get a quasi-Akira Pokemon, wich means a quasi-quasi-Ryo Pokemon. :LOL:

The only one annoying thing for me in Shenmue 1 is: After Working Day 2 at the Harbor, you have to go to Warehouse 17 and help Mark and after that going to the old man which is teaching Ryo a new Move and talk again to the old Man to have the Info that the Mad Angels meetings is in the night. But when i want to drive home, Ryo is still saying "I can't go", but all the tasks are finished for working day 2.

When Shenhua picks herbs for her father for Ryo on the path to Bailu village, they both pick something that looks very like a bellflower.

Yes, and i firmly believe herb collecting would've been in Shenmue 3 on Dreamcast or XBOX, albeit either more limited gameplay or simply further little scenes such as when you find those herbs in disc 4. I believe there is two, maybe three at most, total instances along the path you can look at bellflower and Shenhua will stop to collect them.*

*IIRC

I wish I could enter this type of shop, seeing that enigmatic game on screen and asking the vendor "What is this?".

I would of liked to of been able to open the sliding paper windows in Ryo's home and see the outside, even if the scenery would be static so to speak.

I just got that Dreamcast book @Amir referenced. Loved the Shenmue interview, particularly where they mention Yu Suzuki's attention to apparently useless details. Basically, why render a bunch of vegetables in a shop if you can't actually buy them? "It wouldn't be a vegetable shop if it doesn't have vegetables!" - Yu Suzuki

I would of liked the remakes/rehashes to be able to be modded and have the community content add extra stuff like places, extra side games and quests and even the ability to buy things.

Does anyone know the origins of the Shenmue White Label games? Is there a limited number if them? Why the white label?

Back