Random Shenmue Thoughts

How again do we trigger the Shenhua death scene bad ending? Remember, when she gets hit by a tree and the old Dojo had a gigantic debate about whether there was blood or not?

Yes! Thank you. My next question was to do with how this scene was affected by any of the above mentioned trickery, but I guess you answered that already!

Now those two examples of acting are hilariously bad....it baffles me how someone can put something like Eric Kelso's Ren or Paul Lucas' Lan DI on par with scenes like that.

I finally saw the death scene by accident last year or two when I was doing a slow as molasses play through.

Forgot to mention I liked Lan Di's bit in English even though he only had 1 line. I don't think it was the same actor from the first game but he did a fine job. Also forgot to mention how godawful Wong was. Tbf he's a bit irritating in Japanese too but nowhere near as bad as the English dub. When he would call him "Yo" instead of "Ryo":

tenor.gif

I always thought Wang’s brother was the epitome of bad voice acting until I came across your video. The guy from Min Min Dimsum is ridiculous. I’ve timestamped it just in case anyone else hasn’t seen this monstrosity in acting-

Edit: For some reason it’s not working but should be at 10min 20 second mark.
I told y'all. I dare say Goldman in House of the Dead 2 was a better performance. It would've been hilarious if once you selected the English audio a message popped up that said "Are you sure? Japanese audio is strongly recommended for the best experience." or something along those lines.

Blackmailed my nephew if he completes SI I will give him a Japanese copy for DC.

He's quite young so it's harder then your typical game, but hopefully this will give him inspiration to fight his boredom with it.

Just made another connection tonight with Yuzo Koshiro's arrangement of "Shenhua":

I knew that both the Shenmue I and Shenmue II credits used the middle section at 2:27...
Shenmue I:

Shenmue II:

But upon a listen today, it also contains the middle part of the ending to Shenmue II.

4:03 - 5:32 in the Koshiro arrangement is here:

Stops at around 2:00. Never noticed this part before. Great music all around!

I tried to start a new Japanese Shenmue I game on the DC but it wont let me, I have a completed EU save file on there. Will that conflict with it?

The new game option doesn't work

I would assume it would conflict. Might have to delete that file or use a different VMU.

So many 'disc 3 decisions' to make in the first game. Lots of interesting pieces of dialogue but not enough minutes in Ryo's busy day to talk to everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if I haven't got every piece of dialogue for the last FREE day of the game despite having a save file on that specific day and loading it up many, many, many times. Such a tight window to get back to Dobuita, let alone talk to people.

Inspired by the Shenmue Trivia thread, I wonder: do we know the earliest date one can complete S2?
(That is, building off of the earliest possible completion of S1 on DC)

I should also say, I am further inspired to ask having seen that Guilin ending. The proper bad endings feel somewhat removed (being "non-canon"), but that horrid storm somehow feels more realistic and terrifying as you're actually playing the game. Imagine what Ryo would think, trapped alone in the woods without direction... yikes.

Inspired by the Shenmue Trivia thread, I wonder: do we know the earliest date one can complete S2?
(That is, building off of the earliest possible completion of S1 on DC)

I should also say, I am further inspired to ask having seen that Guilin ending. The proper bad endings feel somewhat removed (being "non-canon"), but that horrid storm somehow feels more realistic and terrifying as you're actually playing the game. Imagine what Ryo would think, trapped alone in the woods without direction... yikes.
Depends, what circumstances are you using? Are you talking about no glitching?

Back