Random Thoughts

Ever since the dawn of entertainment, there have been "good" stories and "bad" ones. Never was there a "Golden Age" only the "bad" stories were filtered out and the "good" stories persevered (much like history). So why is it so easy for older adults to romanticize the past? Nostalgia is quite a double-edged sword.
It sounds like the latch-key kids of Gen X and Gen Y are starting to sound like their Baby Boomer parents lol. I feel nostalgia is important and should be respected but, it's also important to remember the context of the evolution of things. I am humbled that I grew up during an era with payphones and I have some oddly fond memories of using them for an hour at a time, I remember going to the library to learn about any given topic, but I by no means miss these things of the past in any way, shape or form and am so grateful smartphones are as advanced as they are to replace those things of the past. Nostalgia is mostly a chance for people to relive their childhoods for either side of the psychological spectrum: Childhood was great and the feelings tied to it are great. Childhood was painful and our nostalgia was there to counter the pain. It's good to honor those memories and acknowledge them either way, but more important to keep looking forward.

I honestly despise the term "conspiracy theory" as it intellectually degrades the term "theory" since people tend to use the term colloquially to describe someone who is paranoid. According to the scientific method, the term "theory" is used to mean an advanced hypothesis that is reinforced by legitimate evidence but can change if stronger evidence is forthcoming. Think of Evolution Theory, Atomic Theory, Theory of Realtivity, and so on.

Nowadays, however, thanks to the Alex Jones of the world, it has taken on a brand new meaning. I am willing to believe in conspiracies if there is solid evidence to back them up. However, the only one so far who has achieved this in my opinion is Edward Snowden and the National Security Agency's internet spying.

I honestly despise the term "conspiracy theory" as it intellectually degrades the term "theory" since people tend to use the term colloquially to describe someone who is paranoid. According to the scientific method, the term "theory" is used to mean an advanced hypothesis that is reinforced by legitimate evidence but can change if stronger evidence is forthcoming. Think of Evolution Theory, Atomic Theory, Theory of Realtivity, and so on.

Nowadays, however, thanks to the Alex Jones of the world, it has taken on a brand new meaning. I am willing to believe in conspiracies if there is solid evidence to back them up. However, the only one so far who has achieved this in my opinion is Edward Snowden and the National Security Agency's internet spying.
I strongly second this. I also feel the same applies to things that are proven to have no basis in science from a conclusive hypothesis being passed off as truth, just as much as actual proven science being considered pseudo-science or not accepted by the mainstream.

Reactions: red
Here in Southern Ontario, we had high-20s for a good 3 weeks (perhaps even longer, actually) and absolutely not a drop of rain until 1.5 weeks ago.

Since then, it has rained EVERY day, at some point. My plants are loving it though :D

Where I live we have had a two week-long heat wave and tons of wild fires. I’m really hoping for some good rainy weather soon, since I really can’t stand the heat! Maybe I should move to the UK, then I can get some rain 😅

It rained so hard the other day it flooded outside my house a bit. There's also an housing estate with a field that is on a downward incline. Practically turned it into a pond. What's even more annoying is right this second it's quite sunny. It's just a constant switch between sun and rain.

It rained so hard the other day it flooded outside my house a bit. There's also an housing estate with a field that is on a downward incline. Practically turned it into a pond. What's even more annoying is right this second it's quite sunny. It's just a constant switch between sun and rain.

Why does the weather have to be so extreme? It’s either bone dry or flooding… You can’t win either way!

Here in Albuquerque we are only getting rain at night lately and it is humid as hell during the day sadly. So much for a “dry heat”. I can’t wait til winter which is really just very mild fall compared to New Hampshire.

We had crazy fires here where I live too these last few weeks all over the place within 100 mile area. They had to close the national forest that I live in as well, so we were on a 5 minute evacuation notice at one point for over a week. Tons of smoke and the closest fires were 0% containment for nearly 2 weeks, but it also rained near the end of it and cooled it down to about mid 70s, now its back to normal and today was 108 and I have no AC in my vehicle currently. I'll tell you what though, it beats the crap weather I grew up in where its 85 degrees with 100% humidity all summer and then miserable 20 below 0 cold, F that! I'll take dry heat any day over that ever again.

So I managed to land myself a full time graphic design job recently. It's a very rewarding feeling, especially given how passionate I am about that field of work combined with how rough the search has been during the pandemic.

Funnily enough, I actually suspect my work in this video was one of the factors that propelled me above the other candidates.

So thanks Shenmue for getting me a job I guess!

So I managed to land myself a full time graphic design job recently. It's a very rewarding feeling, especially given how passionate I am about that field of work combined with how rough the search has been during the pandemic.

Funnily enough, I actually suspect my work in this video was one of the factors that propelled me above the other candidates.

So thanks Shenmue for getting me a job I guess!
Congrats! You definitely deserve it, your work is always so impressive! It is amazing how working on fan projects that you’re passionate about can lead to other opportunities. :giggle:

I am sure most individuals here have heard the adage of "Vote with your wallet" which would imply that consumers are the ones with all the real power. However, given our current politically correct climate, I wonder if that is true. When you consider that consumers are often ignored unless the backlash is immense, vast, and persistent.

This is then compounded by the fact that most companies acquiesce to a minority on social media. And for the Coup De Grace, the individuals they listen to do not reward them with a hefty profit. So, why do they keep self-sabotaging themselves?

Last edited:
I am sure most individuals here have heard the adage of "Vote with your wallet" which would imply that consumers are the ones with all the real power. However, given our current politically correct climate, I wonder if that is true. When you consider that consumers are often ignored unless the backlash is immense, vast, and persistent.

This is then compounded by the fact that most companies acquiesce to a minority on social media. And for the Coup De Grace, the individuals they listen to do not reward them with a hefty profit. So, why do they keep self-sabotaging themselves?
I put it down to the following:-

- The fallacy of the mythical “wider audience” (i.e., attempting to drum up extra business by way of appeasing a negligible or even non-existent audience at the risk of alienating the established audience)
- To distract the public from a new or ongoing controversy in which they are embroiled in the interest of public perception, protection of image, self-interest, and saving themselves a prolonged headache
- Scrambling to loudly and not-quite-proudly wave the flag of the cause of the day as an act of self-preservation, lest they find themselves in the crosshairs
- Appearing attractive to advertisers and investors who, themselves, are fearful of running the risk of receiving backlash from the outrage mob for being associated with anyone or anything that might draw their ire
- Ideological rot has spread throughout at an alarming rate - from the very bottom right to the tippy top - such that the chance of the output being tainted is exceedingly high
- Receiving favourable coverage and avoiding negative coverage from the press (in spite of the irrelevancy and clear bias of and wide distrust in said press)

Or: performance, preaching, protection, profit, and damage control.

A game called Code Vein keeps popping up in the Xbox Sales, so I opened up the page to have a little nosey at the reviews.

What I found was one of the greatest things I've ever read...

IMG_20210729_070724.jpg

I will never understand how people can cosplay characters or become a fan of them in games, films etc without experiencing & interacting with the project for themselves beforehand.

Back