Rare UK VHS 1999 Pre-Release Shenmue Promo.

Very interesting video. I remember a user named JoeMDesign uploaded this years ago at the old Dojo, but I haven't seen it since. Do you have the actual VHS?

Some really nice footage here! Thanks for sharing it :)

Yes, I still have the VHS tape. I think it was called HMV Dreamcast Promo. It is just in a blank white cardboard sleeve.
Does the VHS have a label? Could you take a picture of any identifying information?

lol that drum n bass. It doesn't suit the video at all yet they were basically obligated to put it in by law seeing that it was the UK in the 90s.

They truly made great trailers back then imagine a trailer like this in E3.
Sadly Shenmue 3 trailers are done very badly and uninteresting...

I remember seeing a much lower resolution video of this video floating around YouTube many years ago. I was always curious if the song which clearly not from the games soundtrack was Suzuki sanctioned or randomly used by editor. It goes give the game a very other worldly feeling,

I always wonder about these alternative scenarios the trailer presents, i.e. Wong confronting Ryo outside Man Mo temple, Ryo getting in a skirmish with Ren ect. I do love the flyovers of the environment, would love to have seen a similar trailer for Shenmue 3.

I always wonder about these alternative scenarios the trailer presents, i.e. Wong confronting Ryo outside Man Mo temple, Ryo getting in a skirmish with Ren ect. I do love the flyovers of the environment, would love to have seen a similar trailer for Shenmue 3.

Fairly certain most of them are re-done in different spots.

Ren and Ryo don't come to real blows, but while handcuffed they tussle and argue a bit. Wong waits for Ryo outside the orphanage after Don Niu knocks him out. Only one I've never recognized is Wong throwing a smoke bomb into a crowd with Yuan? Might've been orginally the scene where Ren traps you in dark with the gangsters when eh steals money, but saved by Wong without a fight?

The trailer reminds me very similar to an E3 2000 beta US trailer I love a lot. Also has goofy techno theme, not as long without the shots of snowy beta Yokosuka or cherry tree. Very brief shot of the ship docked at harbour, the cuts to all the Shen2 footage.

One thing about the UK version, the music isn't as loud, you can hear voices of the characters and they all sound different? Ryo, Ren, Lan Di, Iwao and Wong are all audible at some point...

Only one I've never recognized is Wong throwing a smoke bomb into a crowd with Yuan? Might've been orginally the scene where Ren traps you in dark with the gangsters when eh steals money, but saved by Wong without a fight?

Yes that was always my impression too. Most of the scenarios seemed tweak to what we got from the final release.

The best part was Lan Di coldly lifting Ryo with one arm and holding him, quietly, menacingly...right before the temp voice actor starts yelling his lines out in the dude's face.

I think a tiny bit of this footage can be seen in the Dreamcast PC CD-Rom Preview Disc that came with the first issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine in the US. I remember being bummed at the time it wasn't a playable Demo disc, but it did help spark an interest in Shenmue for me.

Back