spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Releasing July 4th 8PM BST via Twitch stream I'm proud and humbled to have had Jason Demarco join me on the show!

Here's a 1st look teaser for you all!

Last edited:
FINAL TEASER

Matt discusses with Jason Demarco how the story of the #ShenmueTheAnimation was put together and where Shenmue 3 may fit going forwards

Want the full interview?

✅Monday 4th July 8pm BST
✅twitch.tv/shenmuedojo
✅youtube.com/shenmuedojoVOD

Or on Radio SEGA!

Cracking interview. Jason seems like a right stand-up guy and further proof how lucky we are to have passionate fans in high positions. Fingers crossed a 2nd season will come along, but if not, then it's not for lack of trying.

It's lovely to hear that the show was a success for everyone involved ❤️

VOD is now LIVE!

Great job @spud1897

Glad to see you finally were able to interview Jason. Just finished with it a short time ago and like you was impressed by this candid conversation.

So just so I understand the timeline involved there was like 1 year of conversations and negotiations over various rights and basically this was greenlighted 3 years ago. So before Shenmue 3's November release in 2019 if I understood correctly? I would be curious to hear Sega's thoughts and objectives of allowing the show to into anime form. To merely help sell merchandise or something else? A handful of other stray observations-

- I love Jason's idea of licensing original music of that era that could be used in the show. It's a shame that they didn't have the budget for that

- The community is lucky Jason went to bat for Shenmue as it sounds if he wasn't involved it most likely would have never gone into production

- It was cool to get confirmation of how involved Suzuki was while also allowing the team to do their thing. I would love to know what music songs or beats he insisted they keep or reinvent for the show

- How cruel to hear if it wasn't for the Crunchyroll and WB mergers a Season 2 most likely would have been greenlight already.

An all-around great interview. It would be great if you could somehow try and interview the main writers as the content side of things hasn't been reported and I would love to know how they used the original script and potential novelization for the anime.

Last edited:
Great job @spud1897

Glad to see you finally were able to interview Jason. Just finished with it a short time ago and like you was impressed by this candid conversation.

So just so I understand the timeline involved there was like 1 year of conversations and negotiations over various rights and basically this was greenlighted 3 years ago. So before Shenmue 3's November release in 2019 if I understood correctly? I would be curious to hear Sega's thoughts and objectives of allowing the show to into anime form. To merely help sell merchandise or something else? A handful of other stray observations-

- I love Jason's idea of licensing original music of that era that could be used in the show. It's a shame that they didn't have the budget for that

- The community is lucky Jason went to bat for Shenmue as it sounds if he wasn't involved it most likely would have never gone into production

- It was cool to get confirmation of how involved Suzuki was while also allowing the team to do their thing. I would love to know what music songs or beats he insisted they keep or reinvent for the show

- How cruel to hear if it wasn't for the Crunchyroll and WB mergers a Season 2 most likely would have been greenlight already.

An all-around great interview. It would be great if you could somehow try and interview the main writers as the content side of things hasn't been reported and I would love to know how they used the original script and potential novelization for the anime.
Glad you enjoyed it. Jason was a brilliant guest and made things so easy to do.

Funnily enough I approached Telecom about a writer coming on but haven't heard anything back about it. This was before Jason came on the show so I may well try again now I have an example of someone coming on from the Anime and it going down well.

Yep 2018 discussions started and 2019 the Greenlight was given. He's had to push hard for it and it's so bloody Shenmue that it does well and gets caught up in the middle of business transactions. But then we owe the Anime to keep pushing for that second season now. It's done all it can in its power.

Great interview and a very good interviewee. As you mentioned after the interview, the community is very lucky to have people like Jason, Josh and Cedric in its corner. It’s strange to think though that the anime only happened because they couldn’t get the rights to Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Great interview and a very good interviewee. As you mentioned after the interview, the community is very lucky to have people like Jason, Josh and Cedric in its corner. It’s strange to think though that the anime only happened because they couldn’t get the rights to Panzer Dragoon Saga.
I still want to know what happened to the PDS anime.

It's definitely interesting that a PDS anime was in the cards, but I suppose it's also weird to me that it was originally greenlight over Shenmue, which just had the momentum of the kickstarter. However, I hope they're also able to go ahead with Shenmue Season 2 as well as a PDS series!

Back