[RELEASE][Shenmue III] Eric Kelso As Ren & Paul Lucas as Lan Di

LemonHaze

Banned
This is a full character mod for Wuying Ren and Lan Di, with re-recorded lines by Eric Kelso and Paul Lucas, the original voice actors for Wuying Ren and Lan Di in Shenmue I & II.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation Instructions
  1. Install Forklift (for Shenmue III).
  2. Unzip the downloaded Forklift archive into your Shenmue3\Binaries\Win64 folder.
  3. Download the mod (Complete version).
  4. Unzip the downloaded mod archive to Shenmue3/Content/Paks/~mods (if ~mods doesn't exist, create it - exactly as written).
  5. Start the game!)
Avaliable from:
CREDITS:

Patrick J. Fuller:
Producer / Director

LemonHaze:
Programmer / Modder

Eric Kelso & Paul Lucas:
Voices

James Brown - SkillJim:
Testing / Footage

Jibby:
Graphic Design

Peter Campbell:
Audio Assistance

Special thanks to:

@24Nathan
@MistaL
@Dewey

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fantastic! I don't have a gaming PC, so can't do this, but am so happy this is a thing.

Just out of curiosity, did Eric and Paul get paid for this or did they do it for the love of Shenmue (either answer is acceptable!)

It's fantastic you can get him to do this. Personally if they make 4, I hope they keep the new voice actor, I think he sounds a bit deeper and gives Ren more of an edge. That said Kelso back as Guizhang or Fuku san would be very cool. Guizhang I think that's the character where he shined.

Just my opinion though, and it's great that there's an option to listen to the old voice actor too.

WOW! :love:

This is really impressive guys I didn't have a big of a problem as Ren's VO as Lan Di's (Yes, I squealed much like Flanders at the end of the trailer!) in Shen' 3 but this is some serious dedication! Really taken back at the measures this talented community go to make these games shine - Thanks a bunch!

... ... ... If you ever find a way to get involved with Ys Net & make a patch for the PS4 version... I'm interested :p

Last edited:
This is fantastic! I don't have a gaming PC, so can't do this, but am so happy this is a thing.

Just out of curiosity, did Eric and Paul get paid for this or did they do it for the love of Shenmue (either answer is acceptable!)
Both completely did this for free! Another reason everyone should support this and also personally thank them, they’d really love it! 😊

Both completely did this for free! Another reason everyone should support this and also personally thank them, they’d really love it! 😊
What a wonderful gesture. I wouldn't begrudge them if they did get paid for their time, but it really does prove how much Shenmue means to people from all aspects :giggle:

As someone who campaigned hard for Eric and Paul (And leslie) to reprise their roles before Shenmue 3, you have no idea how happy this makes me. You guys did an absolutely incredible job.
Kelso is just a perfect fit for Ren, and Paul is the same for Lan Di...

I wish they return for Shenmue 4.

Guess it's time to buy this on PC, huh...

That's just cool as hell. Shenmue Dojo is incredible, and we're lucky to have such amazing VO actors who freely engage with the fandom.
... ... ... If you ever find a way to get involved with Ys Net & make a patch for the PS4 version... I'm interested :p
I know it's impossible, but this + the classic camera mod as an option would be a dream. (y)

Oh wow! This is awesome! I haven't watched the trailer purposely as I have just started my second playthrough with the camera mod. I'll be installing this asap! Luckily I'm still in Bailu village, so this works out pretty damn well :D Really cannot wait to hear everything.

Incredible work as always!! We are spoiled as Shenmue fans really! Such a dedicated & passionate community!

Oh wow! This is awesome! I haven't watched the trailer purposely as I have just started my second playthrough with the camera mod. I'll be installing this asap! Luckily I'm still in Bailu village, so this works out pretty damn well :D Really cannot wait to hear everything.

Incredible work as always!! We are spoiled as Shenmue fans really! Such a dedicated & passionate community!
Nice dude! Going in blind! You're gonna love it :D

This was a really fun project to work on and I'm glad people seem to be enjoying what we've released so far! I believe Jim is gonna be releasing the individual scenes over the coming weeks for people who are unable to install the mod.

Just wanna properly thank everyone as this was a massive team effort.

First off thanks to Eric for giving up so much of his free time and working on this for free. He was a pleasure to work with and was always happy to send me retakes if something wasn't right. He clearly has a passion for this character and cares about Shenmue fans.

Without @LemonHaze's genius and ability to manipulate this game none of this would possible. Thanks for giving up so much time to work on this when you're already busy with your far more important UE4 projects. But mainly thanks for your patience putting up with me not knowing what the hell you're talking about half the time when it comes to the way the game code works :D

Massive thanks to @James Brown for giving up countless hours of his free time to QC this game night after night to make sure everything worked. Also thanks for supplying all of the high res footage to make the trailer, especially for sending it multiple times because I couldn't make up my mind how I wanted it. :D Without James this also wouldn't have been possible. So much for getting a break after finishing the magazine! Hopefully you can finally have some time off now!

Thanks to @Peter for helping with the Lan Di audio. While Eric has a nice home studio setup, Paul Lucas was recording on his iPhone. I was wondering if the quality was too ropey and asked Peter his opinion and within a couple of hours, without even asking, he had worked some audio magic on there to make it sound perfect! Appreciate it

Thanks to @24Nathan for helping me pour through literally tens of thousands of .wavs from the game to find missing Ren files to replace. You're a mad man.

And finally thanks to @Jibby for jumping at the chance to make the titles for the trailer when I requested literally the day before delivery. I asked at 10pm and I think I woke up to his amazing concept designs that he had sent over at 5am. The title cards really complete the trailer and give it a professional feel.

Hope everyone enjoys it. If there's issues let us know.

And @Sheephead, watch the damn trailer, it's dope!

Woah what an awesome surprise this is! I'll have to get this downloaded tonight! Massive props/thanks to Eric,Paul, and everyone involved from the dojo! That trailer was fantastic!

I was watching the stream, and Eric sounds like as if 20 years hadn't passed by, he absolutely nailed it. Keep in mind that this is probably done without a professional VA director and studio (At least, I assume so considering the circumstances?).

Fuku and Guizhang were spot-on as well... I can now actually listen to the conversations without cringing for the first time.

Lan Di now sounds like a merciless syndicate boss instead of a Kingdom Hearts villain.

Ahh this is cruel, now I'll be so very bummed if they don't get cast in Shenmue 4.

Back