[RELEASE][Shenmue III] Misc Mods - classic camera, NPC fixes and more..

Could the arcade machines in Shenmue 3 be modded to run Yu Suzuki's classic games like "Outrun, Hang On, After Burner, Virtua Fighter" !?
If that were to be possible it would be amazing.

To keep things neat, I'm putting all of my mods into one ASI.

You need Forklift (for Shenmue III) and to be running Windows 10.

You may also be required to update your Visual C++ redistributable packages to get running:

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/VC_redist.x64.exe

To install, extract this archive into `Shenmue3\Binaries\Win64`.

To uninstall, remove MiscMods.asi and the INI file from your `Shenmue3\Binaries\Win64` folder.

Features:
  • Classic Camera Mod
    custom mode is also available, which allows you to modify the camera height, distance and FOV (more variables will be added in the future).
  • NPC Manager fixes
  • No Energy drain while running
  • No Walk Only triggers
View attachment 6456
View attachment 6455
View attachment 6530

To toggle the in-game GUI, press F10.

To enable/disable certain mods at startup, edit the MiscMods.ini file:
INI:
[general]
open_console=true

[mods]
retro_camera_mod=true
npc_fixes=true
no_energy_manager=false
no_walk_only_triggers=true
dump_herbs=false

[npc_fixes]
max_loaded_npcs=256
max_visible_npcs=256
max_npc_distance=25000.0
max_npc_trigger_scale=15000.0

[retro_camera_mod]
customFOV=55.0
customHeight=25.0
customDistance=455.0
customCameraPitchOffset=-5.0

Classic Camera Mode

Additional key combos for this are:

ALT+C - Toggles classic camera mode

ALT+NUMPAD 5 - Toggles using/setting custom camera values

ALT+NUMPAD 8 - Increases camera distance from player in increments of 10
ALT+NUMPAD 2 - Decreases camera distance from player in increments of 10

ALT+PAGE UP - Increases camera height in increments of 10
ALT+PAGE DOWN - Decreases camera height in increments of 10

ALT+UP - Increases FOV in increments of 5
ALT+DOWN - Decreases FOV in increments of 5

No Energy drain while running

ALT+D - Toggles enabling energy drain while running

Source Code
First of all let me congratulate you for creating this mod; I'm currently replaying Shenmue 3 with it and I'm enjoying the game a lot. The classic camera mode gives a wider view and I can appreciate the scenery a lot more and as for the no stamina drain it gives much more freedom to explore whitout being constantly worried on working or buying food.
I was just wandering if there could be an option in the misc mods ini file to enable to play the fishing mini game at any time and if there is any way the framerate could be locked at 60 fps. Anyways great job.

Could the arcade machines in Shenmue 3 be modded to run Yu Suzuki's classic games like "Outrun, Hang On, After Burner, Virtua Fighter" !?
If that were to be possible it would be amazing.
Yes, I've already built functionality for this in UE4 itself and it's compatible with the UE version that Shenmue 3 uses. So it's definitely possible, it's just something I have to start.

I was just wandering if there could be an option in the misc mods ini file to enable to play the fishing mini game at any time and if there is any way the framerate could be locked at 60 fps. Anyways great job.
Sure, I can look to add that in the next version. As for the 60fps lock, it should be possible but I can't make 100% guarantees right now as it could eventually be something that requires a lot of time. But it's more than possible.

Yes, I've already built functionality for this in UE4 itself and it's compatible with the UE version that Shenmue 3 uses. So it's definitely possible, it's just something I have to start.

Sure, I can look to add that in the next version. As for the 60fps lock, it should be possible but I can't make 100% guarantees right now as it could eventually be something that requires a lot of time. But it's more than possible.
Thanks for the reply.(y) I know you and your team must be full of work with the Shenmue Dragon & Phoenix projects; but I eagerly await you next mod update.:p
As for the arcade machines mod it would be a great complement to your mod and the whole game in general; it could even be a great way to attract other gamers and some disapointed fans back for Shenmue 3, it would even make that mechanic
of picking up the arcade machines with the forklift much nicer.
I can already imagine myself working with the forklift just to pick up an arcade machine with Virtua Fighter and all the other games.:love:

To keep things neat, I'm putting all of my mods into one ASI.

You need Forklift (for Shenmue III) and to be running Windows 10.

You may also be required to update your Visual C++ redistributable packages to get running:

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/VC_redist.x64.exe

To install, extract this archive into `Shenmue3\Binaries\Win64`.

To uninstall, remove MiscMods.asi and the INI file from your `Shenmue3\Binaries\Win64` folder.

Features:
  • Classic Camera Mod
    custom mode is also available, which allows you to modify the camera height, distance and FOV (more variables will be added in the future).
  • NPC Manager fixes
  • No Energy drain while running
  • No Walk Only triggers
View attachment 6456
View attachment 6455
View attachment 6530

To toggle the in-game GUI, press F10.

To enable/disable certain mods at startup, edit the MiscMods.ini file:
INI:
[general]
open_console=true

[mods]
retro_camera_mod=true
npc_fixes=true
no_energy_manager=false
no_walk_only_triggers=true
dump_herbs=false

[npc_fixes]
max_loaded_npcs=256
max_visible_npcs=256
max_npc_distance=25000.0
max_npc_trigger_scale=15000.0

[retro_camera_mod]
customFOV=55.0
customHeight=25.0
customDistance=455.0
customCameraPitchOffset=-5.0

Classic Camera Mode

ALT+C - Toggles classic camera mode

ALT+NUMPAD 5 - Toggles using/setting custom camera values

ALT+NUMPAD 8 - Increases camera distance from player in increments of 10
ALT+NUMPAD 2 - Decreases camera distance from player in increments of 10

ALT+PAGE UP - Increases camera height in increments of 10
ALT+PAGE DOWN - Decreases camera height in increments of 10

ALT+UP - Increases FOV in increments of 5
ALT+DOWN - Decreases FOV in increments of 5

No Energy drain while running

ALT+D - Toggles enabling energy drain while running

Source Code
Post in thread 'Shenmue Fan Art' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-fan-art.219/post-123284

Post in thread 'Shenmue Fan Art' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-fan-art.219/post-123290

1628181407538.png

Tortu-genial has create a version of Shenhua with her original outfit and I was wondering if you or someone in your team that could port the outfit to Shenhua in Shenmue 3 has a mod !?

Is there any way to make it so you auto load every level upon startup of the game? This would be an amazing addition.
I assume you mean every sublevel? ie. all of the parts which comprise Niaowu

Or do you mean load in Bailu and Niaowu straight away on startup? ๐Ÿ˜…

I assume you mean every sublevel? ie. all of the parts which comprise Niaowu

Or do you mean load in Bailu and Niaowu straight away on startup? ๐Ÿ˜…
Preferably load Bailu and Niaowu, but if you could load everything to reduce the amount of asset stream stutter, that would be amazing.

Preferably load Bailu and Niaowu, but if you could load everything to reduce the amount of asset stream stutter, that would be amazing.
Sure I can look into it, there are also some asset streaming things that I didn't give myself time to look at last time which might reveal some more interesting performance quirks in S3 which could help too. I'll see what I can do with the time I have between now and the end of the weekend.

Post in thread 'Shenmue Fan Art' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-fan-art.219/post-123284

Tortu-genial has create a version of Shenhua with her original outfit and I was wondering if you or someone in your team that could port the outfit to Shenhua in Shenmue 3 has a mod !?
I just asked Remy if he wants me to do it, he's on the D&P team but I guess he's so busy that he forgot to ask me!

Sure I can look into it, there are also some asset streaming things that I didn't give myself time to look at last time which might reveal some more interesting performance quirks in S3 which could help too. I'll see what I can do with the time I have between now and the end of the weekend.

I just asked Remy if he wants me to do it, he's on the D&P team but I guess he's so busy that he forgot to ask me!
Thank you very much ๐Ÿ™ this would actually be groundbreaking because I've searched the internet for a fix for the annoying asset streaming stutter, and the closest anyone has gotten to fixing it was the 'Load All Levels' button, but if that were to be streamlined into a standalone mod, it would be a godsend. I love Shenmue but unfortunately UE4 is horrible when it comes to preloading areas, from what I've seen.

Just following up on this, will this mod retain Shenhua's head from Shenmue III? Love Remi's work but would be nice for the option to have Shenhua's classic costume while keeping the game art consistent.

Just following up on this, will this mod retain Shenhua's head from Shenmue III? Love Remi's work but would be nice for the option to have Shenhua's classic costume while keeping the game art consistent.
What I suggested for the mod was just to port the outfit and not the full character model; at least that is what I think they understood.

Hello, sorry if I am being annoying ๐Ÿ™
Any progress on the 'Load All Levels'?

Hey I'm new to Shenmue forums and I was just wondering if NPC swapping is a possibility or if it will be added as a new feature to misc mods.

Here is a version with a swap character feature. It might not be completely stable but it works relatively well.

1629198077695.png

It also supports reading swaps from a file named replacements.csv stored inside Shenmue3\Binaries\Win64

Example replacements.csv:
"RYO","A00" "SHE","REN" "CHA","LAN" "REN","SHE"

You can find a full list of character IDs here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you this will make the game really interesting and this might be a dumb question but what's the character ID for Mingyang Lei?

Back