[RELEASED] Shenmue 3 Kiwami Overhaul

gladias9

The Anime Is Better...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Finally, the time has come for the overhaul to release!

This passion project sets out to make Shenmue 3 the best it can be.
Hopefully, a lot fans and critics alike have reason to return for one more round.

Check out and download the mod here!

ADVENTURE
  • Adventure camera zoomed out similar to originals
  • Adventure camera rotates faster/removed lag

• Ryo sprints slightly faster. Removed sprint stamina drain

• (Optional) Shadow/grass draw distance +50%.
  • (Optional) A handful of music swaps
    advcam.png
BATTLE
  • Battle camera zoomed out for battle awareness
  • Battle camera lingers on side view more often

• Ryo Buffed - Unbreakable block, fast/far dodge. Enemies Tweaked - hp, attack rate, etc
  • Fight against Lan Di, Ren, Shenhua and other familiar faces! Dojo fighters replaced.

• (Optional) Action Combat - Removed input lag for attacks. Emphasis on combos/shortcuts
    combatfar.png
    landiswap.png
GRINDING
  • Ryo's stat/skill leveling rates increased
  • Jobs pay 3-5x money (woodchop/fishing/forklift/chickens)
  • Rare Capsule Toys are easier to obtain (bad RNG still exists)
    wood.png
STORY
  • (Optional) Major plot events rewritten and characters reinterpreted for a more interesting story.
  • Of course, this isn't canon and is meant for players who use Japanese voices.
INSTALL: Extract the .pak files of your choice, place them inside Shenmue3/content/paks/~mods folder.
Sound folder goes into Shenmue3/content/ and replace all.

Last edited:
Sorry! Posted under wrong section.

Been enjoying seeing this come together. Unfortunately I don’t have a gaming PC so can‘t install it at this time.

Really would love to see video footage of the revamped battle system and camera along with story adjustments.

Been enjoying seeing this come together. Unfortunately I don’t have a gaming PC so can‘t install it at this time.

Really would love to see video footage of the revamped battle system and camera along with story adjustments.
check the link to nexusmods, i've made quick videos for all major components
*edit* I just included the videos into the post.

check the link to nexusmods, i've made quick videos for all major components
*edit* I just included the videos into the post.
Ah, I looked under videos section on Nexusmods page and didn‘t see anything initially. Cool stuff just wanted to share some random observations from watching the 4 accompanying videos-

- Ever since I watched @Spaghetti video with traditional camera it felt far superior to what we ended up with. Also let’s you appreciate the fantastic environments even more. Improving Ryo’s speed and not draining health is also welcome change on repeat playthroughs.

- Speeding up moves in combat is very interesting change. I have to watch footage of the original to compare but making moves and combo’s snappier is welcome addition, although I am curious why you decided to make block near unbreakable? More aggressive enemies that don’t give the player space is also interesting. Watching the videos, I must say I am not totally sold on the revised camera. Again this is just from watching your footage but movement means the camera is constantly fighting to pull out/get wider perspective. It may feel different when playing but it feels unfinished for lack of better terms.

- Some interesting music choices, I liked some, disagreed with others. I know new member @Old Snake is in process of doing music changes himself. Maybe be good if you guys compare notes as I know he was trying to find a more effective way of looping tracks.

All in all some cool changes, appreciate your work. Hope to get a chance to try this.

I am curious why you decided to make block near unbreakable?
Blocking never felt very effective in the original game. Strong enemies always broke my guard after 1-3 hits and often resulted in me saying "WTF I was blocking" just before realizing that my block had been broken through.

And now that enemies are far more aggressive, reliable blocking is a requirement.

Alternatively, dodging still has the added benefit of extra flanking damage.
movement means the camera is constantly fighting to pull out/get wider perspective.
Yeah but I don't expect the average player to move as much as I did in the Action Combat video.
I mean I was dodging in one direction every 2 seconds. Dunno, why really. I guess I was distracted from recording myself.

Under normal circumstances, camera is relatively stable.

For added reassurance, the dojo is definitely the biggest offender of this. There's a hole in the stage's barrier that allows the camera to slip through it, causing a massive zoom out.

I can reduce the zoom in a future update.

Last edited:
This looks so good. I can’t wait to try it out!

I'll download this later and have a play around with it. Definitely appreciate the work and like someone said above the music changes could be worth teaming up on. The fighting camera looks particularly interesting in comparison to the standard one.

What I will say, being a little presumptious maybe, is that if this used any of the source code for Lemon's Misc mods for the Camera, no-stamina, draw distance or text editor then it should be credited as such somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try later today. Especially looking forward to fighting the shenmue characters in the dojo

Its good to see the community pumping out more mods for Shenmue 3.

Tried it out and I'd like to say I'm overall happy with the effort. Thank you for doing this.

I also have some feedback: I'd like to see a few more items in the mod become optional. Specifically, the title screen changes and character swaps in dojo fights. Maybe just break them out into separate optional mods?

Tried it out and I'd like to say I'm overall happy with the effort. Thank you for doing this.

I also have some feedback: I'd like to see a few more items in the mod become optional. Specifically, the title screen changes and character swaps in dojo fights. Maybe just break them out into separate optional mods?
Just made the dojo fights optional.
A few others asked for the fights to be optional as well.

Great mod @gladias9 congratulations.

Personally, I'm right now using only the flower distance which is great, but I'm not too fan of some of the changes (no offense, just personal taste). However what I do like is the new combat with unbreakable block and the changes you gave. There would be a chance to have only that as separated mod without the camera and all the other changes?

Thanks and congrats again, it's great to see how there are still passionate modders for the game!

I tried the mod

There are some good ideas here but it needs a lot of refinement

The good
- The dojo swap and fighting the shenmue characters is very cool
- Money increase for jobs is cool if you want to avoid the grind
- Reduced input delay is good
- Loading screens are nice
-New Bailu theme is nice

Improvement
- The adventure camera angle needs adjustment. It isn't aligned correctly
- The speed increase on the sprinting is too fast and feels floaty
- The camera angles in the combat needs tweaking
- During combat, moves don't work and the AI blocks everything or just stands still.
- Title screen image is stretched and not aligned properly

I haven't tried the story mod or the full music mod so i can't comment on those

Looking forward to future mods.

Last edited:
- During combat, moves don't work and the AI blocks everything or just stands still.
i encounter the exact same problem sadly.. i played from the beginning until fighting the thugs in hermits nest and after that everything just broke for me.

Fight 1:

Fight 2:

fights in dojo, sparring.. everyone is just staying there / blocking and doesnt attack anymore.

tried replacing the mods, nothing
uninstalling shenmue 3 and deleting folders and install it again with mods, same issue.

removing the S3KO Action Combat.pak fixed it for me again but thats not the goal because it removes like.. everything from the mod.
changing to S3KO Default Combat.pak doesnt fix it either.

thought it was my save file so i loaded a older playthrough and went to dojo in niaowu, same issue.

i encounter the exact same problem sadly.. i played from the beginning until fighting the thugs in hermits nest and after that everything just broke for me.

Fight 1:

Fight 2:

fights in dojo, sparring.. everyone is just staying there / blocking and doesnt attack anymore.

tried replacing the mods, nothing
uninstalling shenmue 3 and deleting folders and install it again with mods, same issue.

removing the S3KO Action Combat.pak fixed it for me again but thats not the goal because it removes like.. everything from the mod.
changing to S3KO Default Combat.pak doesnt fix it either.

thought it was my save file so i loaded a older playthrough and went to dojo in niaowu, same issue.

This happened to me the very first fight i tried, but hasn't repeated since.

I've posted an update, i believe the issue was me trying to force multiple enemies into attack mode at one time.

Back