Rent a Hero n.01 (DC) gets english fan translation

I enjoyed this in 2011 with a guide: one of the best experiences on my dreamcast.
I could never get it to run on my Dreamcast. At least not a legitimate version, I think I played a back up at some point though. I read somewhere that the retail release has some kind of copy protection that stops it from playing on non-Japanese Dreamcast models, even if they're modified or you're using a boot disc. I think that was the case anyways, unless my copy has just always been faulty and I never realised 😂

I think that was the case anyways, unless my copy has just always been faulty and I never realised 😂
Its the case almost 100%. Just looked at gamefaqs and its release date matches the softlocks releases in PSX (RE3, Parasite Eve 2, FFIX... at least PAL copies had libcrypt protection).

Its the case almost 100%. Just looked at gamefaqs and its release date matches the softlocks releases in PSX (RE3, Parasite Eve 2, FFIX... at least PAL copies had libcrypt protection).
What's the case 100%? That it region lock protection or that my copy is faulty?

I could never get it to run on my Dreamcast. At least not a legitimate version, I think I played a back up at some point though. I read somewhere that the retail release has some kind of copy protection that stops it from playing on non-Japanese Dreamcast models, even if they're modified or you're using a boot disc. I think that was the case anyways, unless my copy has just always been faulty and I never realised 😂
You just had a faulty one ;)

Mine is a JP retail copy and I used the Codebreaker boot disc. My DC's laser actually died when I was around the halfway point of the game lol, so I snagged a NIB DC for... I think it was $105.00 (try finding a NIB DC for that price nowadays 🙄), definitely not over $120.00 and continued my journey.

As soon as I was done, I then started (and beat) Segagaga and finally, started the annual 'mue playthrough about 2 1/2 weeks late.

December of 2011 was a wonderful time in my life :)

You just had a faulty one ;)

Damn ☹️

Could be a PAL console issue perhaps? I know some Japanese games aren't RGB compatible and I used to use RGB Scart (I upgraded to VGA about a decade ago though) as I got a new TV that refused to read the Dreamcast's RGB output correctly. Maybe I am grasping at straws haha, guess I should buy another copy sometime. Wonder if it is expensive now, hope not.

I snagged a NIB DC for... I think it was $105.00 (try finding a NIB DC for that price nowadays 🙄)

My original Dreamcast died in 2009 playing D2. I managed to pick two new replacements up, one of which was not brand new but was mint in its box. It's a shame you don't get good deals on consoles any more.

@Truck_1_0_1_ Just found this actually:

"For Rent a hero, due to them using some weird signal output, it wont actually run on a PAL DC, no matter what.

To play RaHn1 you MUST have an NTSC DC."

There you go: what a weird issue lol

And yeah, 5 years later (when I lived in Calgary: was literally December 2016), my NIB's laser finally crapped out, only this time I tried to fix it myself... and overcalibrated it, bricking it in the process :(. Of the three retro shops in the city, one did have a DC, used... for $120.00. I knew then and there that prices would never be the same :(

There you go: what a weird issue lol

I'm not sure if it's true or not though. I tested my copy last night and it boots to the Sega logo and then goes back to the main Dreamcast menu. That suggests it's a disc reading issue to me. I have searched the internet and can only find that one post and possibly one other on some other forum. The user I quoted mentioned they don't own a VGA box or cable, so it's possible the game isn't RGB compatible, but it should be VGA compatible, so maybe it should work with VGA. Hmmm. The only way to find out for sure is to buy another copy and test it, but sadly there are none listed in the UK on eBay or on any of the independent online retailers I use here. Doesn't seem worth importing to find out considering it would cost me over £30. I mean, I know that isn't a ton of money, but it feels like it when all I really want is a new disc to test and there's a chance that there really is an issue with the game running on PAL consoles, so I might not even better off.

@Reprise
Yes, sorry for the vage answer. It was unintentional. I meant protection lock due dates matching with other lock featuring games (while they were for a different console than DC). Anyway it is a complete different thing.

The only way to find out for sure is to buy another copy and test it

What better way to test it than a brand new sealed copy... 😳

Ok, now I don't want to open it 😂

Vega61T.jpeg

Its such a fun and great game, a classic Sega title.
I can't get upstairs at the very beginning both at reicast and redream emulators. My DC stills kidnapped :(
Edit: I moved in 2019, one of my six sisters offered to keep some stuff at her garage, which its almost standalone home. She seemed very eager to keep the DC, I agreed... Not being able to recover from her paws since. She always says, yeah come and I return back but always comes with a new excuse. She must be getting so much vice time... And I can't resort to violenceTM because shes my sister and I love her. She has two kids... Damn, I lost my DC forever.

Last edited:
Back