[Request] Convert two texture mods to work without SpecialK

Hi! There's these two mods on Nexus:

Upscaled Passport Jacket HD (Jacket texture from the Shenmue passport upscaled using deep learning/super resolution technology)
New Coke Vending Machine (New Vending machine and Cans from the Original Japanese Shenmue)

They are excellent but requires SpecialK to work. Inside their zip there's textures in .dds format. I tried to convert it myself using this but I failed miserably. I wanted to get these .dds files and turn into TAD and TAC files so I could just put inside the folder /dx11/mods and run it with the forklift mod loader. I tried to find the textures I wanted to replace using ShenmueModTools by importing the file disk_5be2c578.tac inside \archives\dx11\data. My idea was to find the textures I needed to replace and get their 16-character hexadecimal texture ID and then use ShenmueHDArchiver.exe and flipper.exe to replace it with the .ssd inside the zips from the Nexus mods... But I really didn't get anywhere close to do it, I completely failed on this lol

Anyway, these two mods are really small and there aren't many files inside them. If someone could convert it so we could use without SpecialK, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I apparently posted about this a while back and LemonHaze and Mighty Fullen commented on it. Mighty Fullen ended up replacing all the machines in the game with the Japanese Coca-Cola textures withiout the need for Special K.
He's the same guy who posted the mod on Nexus but that unfortunately does require Special K to work but it does have the added bonus of the Tomato Convenience Store fridge showing the Japanese Coca-Cola versions of the cans. I also think he ended up replacing the texture for the can used in the bike race QTE in the harbor.

I personally think it's worth missing out on those two small textures if the game is better off without using Special K, Special K was constantly crashing my game on cutscenes and Free Battle. The main textures on the machnes has been replaced and to me, that's the most important aspect of this mod.

Link

Last edited:
I apparently posted about this a while back and LemonHaze and Mighty Fullen commented on it. Mighty Fullen ended up replacing all the machines in the game with the Japanese Coca-Cola textures withiout the need for Special K.
He's the same guy who posted the mod on Nexus but that unfortunately does require Special K to work but it does have the added bonus of the Tomato Convenience Store fridge showing the Japanese Coca-Cola versions of the cans. I also think he ended up replacing the texture for the can used in the bike race QTE in the harbor.

I personally think it's worth missing out on those two small textures if the game is better off without using Special K, Special K was constantly crashing my game on cutscenes and Free Battle. The main textures on the machnes has been replaced and to me, that's the most important aspect of this mod.

Link

The issue with SpecialK is, it's just not good... like at all. It's a very invasive method for replacing textures (it intercepts any calls to the rendering API and swaps out the texture at that time) and it also uses a very stupid method for generating a "texture ID" by just calculating the CRC32 of the texture and using that as the filename. Forklift uses d3t features which have been tested extensively and there are no known issues with it.

So a mixture of all of that^ is the reason why SpecialK isn't adviseable and I haven't even started explaining the crashes or black texture issue (whereby the creator of SpecialK recommends literally playing the whole game in order to fix it o_O). With Forklift or any other d3t feature or pretty much anything that interfaces with the original game, I will support as much as I possibly can.

Unless I'm missing something, do you still want a proper mod creating?

The issue with SpecialK is, it's just not good... like at all. It's a very invasive method for replacing textures (it intercepts any calls to the rendering API and swaps out the texture at that time) and it also uses a very stupid method for generating a "texture ID" by just calculating the CRC32 of the texture and using that as the filename. Forklift uses d3t features which have been tested extensively and there are no known issues with it.

So a mixture of all of that^ is the reason why SpecialK isn't adviseable and I haven't even started explaining the crashes or black texture issue (whereby the creator of SpecialK recommends literally playing the whole game in order to fix it o_O). With Forklift or any other d3t feature or pretty much anything that interfaces with the original game, I will support as much as I possibly can.

Unless I'm missing something, do you still want a proper mod creating?

Yeah, it's not very good. I also had an issue with the flashbacks not being in sepia tone which then caused it to crash. I wish the mod creators would remove the need for Special K for their mods.

I'm perfectly fine with the Forklift version of Coca-Cola and not having the Passport jacket. Thank you very much though. 🙂

Back