[REQUEST] How-To create mods for the PC-Versions of Shenmue I and Shenmue II

@spud1897

Yeah I know them, but that's a how-to-mod-the-game.
I am asking for a "How-To-Create-Mods".
;)

Edit:
I've changed the title of this thread.

Last edited:
I further updated your title to clarify that this is a request for a guide, and not a guide itself.

Hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction!

I further updated your title to clarify that this is a request for a guide, and not a guide itself.

Hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction!
Oh I didn't know that this is necessary.
Thank you.
:)
I think it depends on what you want out of a mod, really.
But isn't the general way, no matter what game you want to mod, like this:
1. extract game specific files (assets, scripts/code for functions, like game mechanics)
2. identitfy every single file (what is it, what does it)
3. convert to a format that is editable if necessary
4. edit the file
5. convert it back to game specific format
6. replace the edited file with the original, or keep both but let the first override the second
?

Only need to know the tools and document them I guess.

But isn't the general way, no matter what game you want to mod, like this:
1. extract game specific files (assets, scripts/code for functions, like game mechanics)
2. identitfy every single file (what is it, what does it)
3. convert to a format that is editable if necessary
4. edit the file
5. convert it back to game specific format
6. replace the edited file with the original, or keep both but let the first override the second
?

Only need to know the tools and document them I guess.
Again, it depends on what you want of a 'mod'. All of the stuff you're saying is exactly what I've already done but am porting to UE4 itself and/or creating tools for. So again, it depends what you want to answer that question.

The game isn't necessarily built in a way where you can just add Online Mode by uncommenting a function somewhere.

Sure, I have tools to replace models, or replace textures. I could alter game scripts and even implement engine-level changes. But things need to be created in order to be used and while I've done most of this stuff, I feel like the best way is to port things to modern tools, instead of simply patching the old engine etc.

Wudecon will extract basically everything you need and you can use Forklift to override any asset in the TAD archives as you see fit just like you could on the Dreamcast. But since the stuff you're asking about pertains mainly to replacing of assets, you will need specific tools for that, like Wudecon or ShenmueModTools itself or the more mature Shenmue libraries which I've contributed a lot too (of which I have private branches of which are more inline with the UE4 project).

Sure, I have tools to replace models, or replace textures. I could alter game scripts and even implement engine-level changes. But things need to be created in order to be used and while I've done most of this stuff, I feel like the best way is to port things to modern tools, instead of simply patching the old engine etc.
Yes and I've found already some tools here.
At the moment I am only interested in modding the PC re-releases, I like the old engine and the assets and I am not that much into changing anything of the look (except maybe some posters or stuff where you could read something on it).
I am more interested in changing some mechanics or cut someting out (the races for example), or remove the UI in FREE mode and in battle mode.
Just some examples.
Some lore speedup would be useful too, to get earlier to an actual goal (meeting Terry in Shenmue I for example.. why Ryo didn't just force the first member of the Mad Angels to take him to their boss? Every gang has a boss... o_0, no need for asking days the same questions in the same location...).

Last edited:
Yes and I've found already some tools here.
At the moment I am only interested in modding the PC re-releases, I like the old engine and the assets and I am not that much into changing anything of the look (except maybe some posters or stuff where you could read something on it).
I am more interessted in changing some mechanics or cut someting out (the races for example), or remove the UI in FREE mode and in battle mode.
Just some examples.
Some lore speedup would be useful too, to get earlier to a n actual goal (meeting Terry in Shenmue I for example.. why Ryo just force the first member of the Mad Angels to take him to their boss? Every gang has a boss... o_0, no need for asking days the same questions in the same location...).
MiscTools can disable the UI entirely with the F8 hotkey. And all of the tools and resources posted are all for the re-releases.

MiscTools can disable the UI entirely with the F8 hotkey. And all of the tools and resources posted are all for the re-releases.
Yes I know, I tried to use it but I need that Cheat engine thing first.
But the existing of a tool is not a documentation or even a tutorial how to use it.

Yes I know, I tried to use it but I need that Cheat engine thing first.
But the existing of a tool is not a documentation or even a tutorial how to use it.
I appreciate that, but you did say 'how to create mods' 😅

You don't necessarily need Cheat Engine to use it, you can use something else like ThirteenAG's ASI loader and rename MiscMods from DLL to ASI.

Back