***REQUEST*** Shenmue 1 & II for Linux STEAM & Install Guide.(Request even if you don't use Linux so that Linux users can play the game as well.)

Ren

Shenmue 1 & II compatibility for Linux Steam wishlist here:

request visit This Link Below
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1475356649450732547

****************************************************************************************************

winelinux.png

GUIDE TO PLAY SHENMUE 1 & II for Linux:::
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1475356649450732547

I was not able to play the game in linux since I have Intel Card instead of Nvidia & Radeon card.
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/62
Yet after testing out manage to run the game fully.

Yet here is how to install Shenmue on linux with the Linux Steam application
Using Proton made by valve to make windows games compatible with linux.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md
For More Info go here.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
================================================================================================
1) Go to https://store.steampowered.com/account/preferences/
================================================================================================
Click on Steam + Linux
OPERATING SYSTEMS
Only show me games which support one of these operating systems:
Windows​
Mac OS X​
✔SteamOS + Linux​

1534986930214.png

2) Go to Steam>Settings>Account>Beta Participation>Change.... ::

1534986229708.png
3) Restart Steam & Install GRAPHICS DRIVERS QUICKSTART
Steam will download and install Steam Beta package
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md

GRAPHICS DRIVERS QUICKSTART - UBUNTU 18.04
Some of the newest titles available on Linux with Steam Play require cutting-edge drivers that are not distributed with the latest Ubuntu 18.04 release. To achieve the highest level of compatibility with Windows game titles, we recommend installing the following drivers:

NVIDIA
Linux users with NVIDIA graphics cards should install the latest NVIDIA proprietary drivers; version 396.51 is required. They can be installed directly from Canonical's repository for third-party drivers:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396

Provide your user password when requested and reboot after the last command completes to ensure the driver has updated correctly.

Further details about this PPA repository are available here: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

AMD/Intel
Linux users with AMD or Intel graphics cards should install recent versions of Mesa and LLVM through this repository: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/mesa

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa

sudo apt dist-upgrade

================================================================================================4) Steam>Settings> Steam Play
a) Enable Steam Play for all titles
b) Use This tool instead of Game-specific Selections from Steam
c) Choose Proton as Compatibility tool.

1534986813346.png

5) Restart Steam & download and install games.
=====================================================================================

6) Bypass the launcher
Credits to tlepolemus from Steam to help me out.

You have to try to run the game from steam first. It fails but it creates the wineprefix and the script 'proton_run' which is in '/tmp'. Copy it to your home dir so it doesn't get overwriten.
1) Run the game it will probably fail but will create an important file named proton_run
2)Open File explorer then Press CTRL + L write /temp
3)Go to /tmp
4)Locate file called proton_run inside tmp
5) Copy the file proton_run, paste it in another location,
I put mine inside a folder named proton in my desktop.

templocation.png

IF YOU CAN"T FIND pronton_run Credit toslopevisit

1. Add "PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%" to the game's Steam launch options.
  2. cd /tmp/proton_$USER/run ~ (replace $USER with your Linux username if this doesn't work)
  3. Edit "run" in the same way as the guide suggests
Additionally, a somewhat more convenient way to fix the audio is to install winetricks (if it isn't already) and run:

WINEPREFIX=<steam library location>/compatdata/758330/pfx winetricks xact

You might need to manually add xaudio2_8 and xaudio2_9 with winecfg, just like the guide suggests. I'm not sure if they are actually needed, but it seemingly fixed some crackling audio problems on boot (might be an anomaly). EDIT: Yeah, crackling audio seems to be an intermittent problem on my system. Sometimes it boots with it, sometimes not. So you may not need these extra overrides after all.

To bypass the launcher you have to edit the same 'proton_run' and change the references to the SMLauncher in the first two lines for the location of Shenmue.exe (or Shenmue2.exe). And run the game by executing the script './proton_run'. With steam running the cloud saves and achievements work.

6) Open photon_run with text editor, I use visual studio code.

visualproton.png

7) Replace the first 2 lines with.
Code:
cd "/home/cjlaborde/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SMLaunch/sm1/"
DEF_CMD=("/home/cjlaborde/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SMLaunch/sm1/Shenmue.exe")

Game will have bugs if you start it now as below.
Problems with sound and errors that would not let you open doors etc.
To fix you need to configurate Wine properly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wine Configuration
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

terminalconfig.png
Then run './proton_run winecfg' and add all the x3daudio, xapofx1 and xaudio2 dlls.
Watch the video from 10m2s till 10:56 to learn how to add the dlls libraries

Start the Game
startgame.png

Change Screen to Full Screen Manually

SETTINGS.png

Game didn't let me accept changes so had to do it manually.
Either search for search file or go here to find settings file.

Wide Screen Hack
Copy your windows pre hacked with widecreen shenmue.exe and replace with your Linux Shenmue.exe

widescreen.png

Or download Shenmue.exe from attachment.
Beware this file only works for 1.0.1 Beta

Attachments

• 1534984935887.png
    1534984935887.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 11
  • terminal.png
    terminal.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Shenmue.zip
    4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
0_0. I heard about this yesterday, and got so wrapped up in the Shenmue release I didn't even think to try it. Shenmue is downloading now

Arch Linux (4.18.whateverthelatestisasofthispost)
AMD RX 480 (MESA 18.1)
Intel i5-6600k @ 4.2 Ghz
16GB GSkill Trident-Z DDR4

0_0. I heard about this yesterday, and got so wrapped up in the Shenmue release I didn't even think to try it. Shenmue is downloading now

Arch Linux (4.18.whateverthelatestisasofthispost)
AMD RX 480 (MESA 18.1)
Intel i5-6600k @ 4.2 Ghz
16GB GSkill Trident-Z DDR4

Report back the results would like to see how it worked for you.

Didn't work for me, but neither did the officially supported titles. I'm pretty sure it's on my end, this install has been giving me issues from day 1; I think I forgot something when I set everything up. I'll give it a wipe within the next week or two and see how it goes then.

It would be cool if they made a Linux and MacOS version so everyone could play.

Didn't work for me, but neither did the officially supported titles. I'm pretty sure it's on my end, this install has been giving me issues from day 1; I think I forgot something when I set everything up. I'll give it a wipe within the next week or two and see how it goes then.

Would you like to keep trying? my suggestion is try these videos.
Linux Gaming: DXVK, Wine, and Lutris:

I found this before but sadly VXVK don't work for intel cards. Perhaps it works for you.

Check this emulator https://redream.io/download
Shenmue plays perfectly on Linux, Its available on Mac OSX as well.

1) Believe me, I've spent a LOOOOOONG time dealing with WINE and Linux in general. I don't mean this offensively; but I don't need your help here.

2) I have reasons that I'd like to avoid ReDream

3) Turns out I was just dumb and forgot to enable DXVK on both my regular WINE prefixes and my Steam prefix. Shenmue runs mostly fine; just missing voices and controller support as far as I can tell. For voices, it's likely due to them being encoded with XWMA; for controller support...well that's kind of just a crapshoot with WINE. Xinput is supposed to be supported nowadays, but it doesn't always work (it's also been giving me issues lately in applications it never had an issue with before)

1) Believe me, I've spent a LOOOOOONG time dealing with WINE and Linux in general. I don't mean this offensively; but I don't need your help here.

3) Turns out I was just dumb and forgot to enable DXVK on both my regular WINE prefixes and my Steam prefix. Shenmue runs mostly fine; just missing voices and controller support as far as I can tell. For voices, it's likely due to them being encoded with XWMA; for controller support...well that's kind of just a crapshoot with WINE. Xinput is supposed to be supported nowadays, but it doesn't always work (it's also been giving me issues lately in applications it never had an issue with before)

1 )I see, well it was a suggestion, since I wanted to try that but lacked the proper video card. Wanted to know how far it would go with proper hardware.
2) Because they stop been open source all of the sudden and made the code private right? I read some people unhappy about that. Even through Redream is so quick to set up, has turbo feature and soon to have save states. Its been updated daily unlike demul which update are kind of slow. How good is reicast on linux?
3) https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1475356649450732547
When you can request the game to steam.
I did some research that said perhaps in future could work the post was from 2016.

Last edited:

By the way Pyrokintenicdew It's possible to use xbox one controller wirelessly? On Linux with Wireless Receiver USB Wireless Controller Adapter for XBOX ONE Controller
I have older version controller without bluetooth.
I found this https://github.com/bytewarrior/xbox-one-wireless-adapter
Have not been able to test it out since I just brought the USB wireless receiver

I have been wanting to make the move away from windows for a while. I used to use CentOS, FreeBSD and redhat for servers but not so much home use. It seems like proton is similar to wine? Do you need a windows license for it to operate?

1 )I see, well it was a suggestion, since I wanted to try that but lacked the proper video card. Wanted to know how far it would go with proper hardware.
2) Because they stop been open source all of the sudden and made the code private right? I read some people unhappy about that. Even through Redream is so quick to set up, has turbo feature and soon to have save states. Its been updated daily unlike demul which update are kind of slow. How good is reicast on linux?
3) https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1475356649450732547
When you can request the game to steam.
I did some research that said perhaps in future could work the post was from 2016.

1) Yeah I know, sorry for the defensiveness.

2) That's a part of it; but it's Inolen's code so he can do as he pleases, even if the choices he makes are bad for him and the software. It's mostly that I want to see an accurate dreamcast emulator. We have demul, but development is so slow.

3) Yeah, that sort of request thing is what led to the development of Proton

I have been wanting to make the move away from windows for a while. I used to use CentOS, FreeBSD and redhat for servers but not so much home use. It seems like proton is similar to wine? Do you need a windows license for it to operate?

No, you do not. Think of Proton as an expansion of WINE. I'd say get yourself a copy of Ubuntu (or Debian... preferably Debian, but Ubuntu is more supported for gaming), and play with Steam for Linux a bit. I personally haven't had any luck with the Proton integration in Steam; even the supported titles like DOOM refuse to launch for me; but I suspect that's on my end. I managed to get Shenmue and Shenmue II working on Linux using DXVK (translates dx11 syscalls to Vulkan syscalls on the fly), but as I said, voice clips still aren't working, nor are controls.

By the way Pyrokintenicdew It's possible to use xbox one controller wirelessly? On Linux with Wireless Receiver USB Wireless Controller Adapter for XBOX ONE Controller
I have older version controller without bluetooth.
I found this https://github.com/bytewarrior/xbox-one-wireless-adapter
Have not been able to test it out since I just brought the USB wireless receiver

Theoretically yes; but I haven't bought one, so I can't say for sure. As I said, xinput on Linux is a bit of a crapshoot, especially when dealing with WINE. I just wire my controller, and it's getting to the point where I need a new one, so I'm just gonna get the bluetooth one.

I hadn't heard about that WINE-expansion, Proton, yet. On the other hand, I'm mainly console based and haven't really tried gaming in Linux lately besides a few smaller games on Steam. And I tried to get Guild Wars 1 and 2 running before just to see if it worked (not that easy when I tested).

Last edited:
1) Yeah I know, sorry for the defensiveness.

2) That's a part of it; but it's Inolen's code so he can do as he pleases, even if the choices he makes are bad for him and the software. It's mostly that I want to see an accurate dreamcast emulator. We have demul, but development is so slow.
redream works flawless in Linux, In fact perform a lot better in linux than windows.
I have some glitches in windows that are none existent in linux version.
No lag and high performance.
I brought the premium version and in my opinion is not a huge difference from the lite free version.
Demul is closed source as well.
Reicast based on nulldc even through nulldc had great performance it had some issues as well their main priority is mobile.

Tested last night redream,demul and steam at the same time running shenmue. Graphically redream is currently superior to demul and well better performance. While running the 3 of them at the same time on a normal laptop. Demul lag a lot with glitched sound. While redream slowed down yet was playable. Shenmue steam was running flawlessly and didn't lag at all on the heavy load. Graphically and perfomance Shenmue Steam is superior to both redream and demul. Seems they did improve performance on Shenmue Steam in the beta. Games plays at least for me perfectly. Before was lagging a bit.

Redream do have some issues that demul doesn't have. For example
Shenmue II PAL with widescreen fix - Disc 1 not booting
https://gitlab.com/inolen/redream/issues/529

Even through what Inolen did was a slap in the face.
I read they took that decision since no one was submitting.
I think the project does deserve support Inolen is quite active and fix issues and updates constantly daily and is quite responsive. They even have quite an active discord you can ask for help quite fast.
https://gitlab.com/inolen/redream/issues?scope=all&utf8=✓&state=all&search=shenmue

Problem with demul is windows only and they not quite open for support when you need help or encounter an issue.
As well quite slow updating. Proper active Communication thumps skill any time.

By the way does widescreen hack works for you in Shenmue ?
I tried a prepacked version of Shenmue with Widescreen included and seems to not work. Perhaps since the internal hex code different in Linux?
works perfectly on windows.

Manage to get it to work thanks to.
tlepolemus

You have to try to run the game from steam first. It fails but it creates the wineprefix and the script 'proton_run' which is in '/tmp'. Copy it to your home dir so it doesn't get overwriten.

Then run './proton_run winecfg' and add all the x3daudio, xapofx1 and xaudio2 dlls.

To bypass the launcher you have to edit the same 'proton_run' and change the references to the SMLauncher in the first two lines for the location of Shenmue.exe (or Shenmue2.exe). And run the game by executing the script './proton_run'. With steam running the cloud saves and achievements work.

Anyway that's what I did.

AL lib: (WW) alSetError: Error generated on context 0x7f809c00b290, code 0xa004
Manage to play it but got this error.
https://i.imgur.com/thrbaFZ.jpg
1)Stops letting me opening doors
2)no voice when character speak, sound effect work perfectly.
3)controller works perfectly as well.
4)Some lights reflectors either green or purple
https://i.imgur.com/UcqVxQo.jpg

What errors did your's produce or did it play flawless?
What do you think my error could be?

manage to fix sound issues and no bugs appearing.
The only problem is some green & purple lighting. Runs perfectly. Even Hang Out plays well.

Screenshot from 2018-08-26 17-34-48.pngScreenshot from 2018-08-26 17-32-09.pngScreenshot from 2018-08-26 17-34-41.pnglinux.png

Attachments

• linux.png
    linux.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Back