ReShade Shenmue & Shenmue II HD

By any chance, are you super/down sampling the resolution? I mean in your game configuration, those functions may corrupt MXAO.

@mikester112 , it could be your issue too!

On darn, you're right. I am super sampling the resolution. Setting it to 100% makes it appear as normal.

That's a shame though, I like my super sampled image. Does there happen to be a way to fix that?

I don’t think you can find a fix for that... It seems to be an incompatibility between reshade and the way Shenmue handle the super sampling, or maybe it is a known issue that occur on every supersampled game, I don’t know...
By the way, which resolution are you using?

I don’t think you can find a fix for that... It seems to be an incompatibility between reshade and the way Shenmue handle the super sampling, or maybe it is a known issue that occur on every supersampled game, I don’t know...
By the way, which resolution are you using?

My monitor is a native 1080p. I was using a 200% resolution scale so I believe that means it was running at 4k.

Perhaps I could try to downsample it using a third party program, I'm not sure if the issue would persist if the game thinks it's running at a higher resolution at 100%. I guess I'll have to try that tomorrow. But that might not work either.

Thanks for at least pointing me in the right direction.

ReShade depth functions are affected by supersampling in any game. However you can scale it up with Nvidia's Dsr or Amd's Vsr without affecting the depth buffer if you want to. I'll try the normal mxao and see if I have more success.

no my supersampling's at 100% unless it can somehow go lower than that. anyway, I don't think that's the problem. MXAO works just fine when I forego the SpecialK version which has the effects render behind the HUD.

ReShade depth functions are affected by supersampling in any game. However you can scale it up with Nvidia's Dsr or Amd's Vsr without affecting the depth buffer if you want to. I'll try the normal mxao and see if I have more success.

DSR does indeed fix the MXAO for me, but it also creates a terribly pixelated UI at lower factors like the 2x factor, while 4x looks crisp but breaks the UI (I know that's on Shenmue's end).

And a native 1080p causes far too much shimmering to my taste, so I still haven't found a solution I'm pleased with, oh well. :/

Hey guys, is here a way to get special K working in shenmue II?

I just downloaded and installed Special K into the sm2 folder, exactly the same as when doing it with the sm1 install. I downloaded the Shenmue 2 Environmental textures, and it all worked the same way.

Is this the reshade template used for Shenmue 1? Or is there a separate setting file for Shenmue 2?

Last edited:
Back