ReShade Shenmue & Shenmue II HD

Nice job! I had the same problem too with Special K custom so I uninstalled, looks like I can reinstall it again

Your presets looking great btw :)

Actually, it works with the hacked exe, try again the installation process following celtic_spike instructions.
I found the problem. I was lauching the game via steam launcher. It only works if launched directly through shenmue exe (it was not a problem with normal ReShade).

Actually, it works with the hacked exe, try again the installation process following celtic_spike instructions.
I also managed to solve my issue with the depth buffer by changing a value in the reshader64.ini file, I don't know why I have to invert the depth buffer to make it work properly, apparently I'm the only one having this problem...

Anyway, when celtic-spike posted an image of my profile, I realized that maybe you should tweak some values by your self depending on your screen resolution.
I am playing at 3840x2160, but some shader can slightly change when the game is set at lower resolution, the film grain, for example, is way too strong and the DOF too can be a little different compared to my screenshots.

I add some other image beacuse I really like the way it looks, I never tought that Reshade would work so well on such an old game!

That is absolutely incredible. I've never seen Shenmue look this good before. Amazing work. I don't have the pc version yet, but i'll definitely be using this reshade when i do. Any luck with shenmue 2?

That is absolutely incredible. I've never seen Shenmue look this good before. Amazing work. I don't have the pc version yet, but i'll definitely be using this reshade when i do. Any luck with shenmue 2?
I didn't tested it with Shenmue II yet, but the engine is the same, so the result should be similar. Maybe Shenmue II is a bit more colorful, so some tweaks may be needed.

Open reshade64.ini and look for this string:
Code:
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=0
Change the value to 1
so this is really interesting. as a test i changed this setting in my config and now when i use your preset the game looks SUPER blurry . could this be a GPU specific thing. i am using nvidia gtx1060 6gb

Attachments

• 20180826114103_1.jpg
    20180826114103_1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
@celtic_spike No I also have a GTX 1060 6gb and my game is normal, it probably just activated some blur setting it couldn't use before because it had no depth detection.

so this is really interesting. as a test i changed this setting in my config and now when i use your preset the game looks SUPER blurry . could this be a GPU specific thing. i am using nvidia gtx1060 6gb
It reversed the depth of the DOF only... the MXAO seems working just fine! That's wierd... mine was looking completely different whith the reversed depth buffer.
I have a gtx980, we both have a nvidia GPU, so I don't know if it is the case...

Anyway, for you it was working fine before you changed that value, right?

New guy here, first time ever playing Shenmue. Anyway, I'm trying to use some of the ReShades posted here and MXAO straight up just doesn't work for me. I've tried regular ReShade and the SpecialK one.

It reversed the depth of the DOF only... the MXAO seems working just fine! That's wierd... mine was looking completely different whith the reversed depth buffer.
I have a gtx980, we both have a nvidia GPU, so I don't know if it is the case...

Anyway, for you it was working fine before you changed that value, right?

Correct. mine worked the very first time i loaded your preset. and now when i put the setting back to 0 it works.

Does MXAO break the look of the notebook for everyone, or is there a way around the problem? It's a small thing, but it would annoy me often enough that it pretty much makes the effect a no-go for me. Which would be a huge shame because I love the added depth.

New guy here, first time ever playing Shenmue. Anyway, I'm trying to use some of the ReShades posted here and MXAO straight up just doesn't work for me. I've tried regular ReShade and the SpecialK one.
Funny that you say that. Cause I was thinking it wasn't working for me cause I was using the latest mxao (Quint). Depth buffer shows a full white image, normals displays normally tho. Reversing the depth makes no difference. It might be incompatibility with specialk modified reshade which is not based on latest reshade. Quint Mxao works without a problem with the latest reshade in Shenmue.

I used the regular vesion of MXAO that came with the official version of ReShade, I tried to use Quint shaders, but I couldn't make them work, the game crashed on loading.

Does MXAO break the look of the notebook for everyone, or is there a way around the problem? It's a small thing, but it would annoy me often enough that it pretty much makes the effect a no-go for me. Which would be a huge shame because I love the added depth.
I don't know if you are using my profile, but I didn't noticed nothing really compromising about the apperance of the notebook with MXAO on, it is a bit overbloomed, but that's because of the bloom bug. Every time you open the notebook the bloom turn it self on and you have to disable it every time, so if you are using a shader to add bloom effect (ambient light for example), it will look a bit messy.
Anyway, can you post a screeshoot? We can try to fix it.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried normal ReShade again and MXAO works there now despite not working the first time for some reason. The SpecialK MXAO still refuses to work though.

2 pics one with it on and the other with it off

Attachments

• mxao_off.png
    mxao_off.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
  • mxao_on.png
    mxao_on.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
I don't know if you are using my profile, but I didn't noticed nothing really compromising about the apperance of the notebook with MXAO on, it is a bit overbloomed, but that's because of the bloom bug. Every time you open the notebook the bloom turn it self on and you have to disable it every time, so if you are using a shader to add bloom effect (ambient light for example), it will look a bit messy.
Anyway, can you post a screeshoot? We can try to fix it.

I wasn't using yours, I like to configure these things to my own taste, but I just tried it and the issue persists. So here's some shots, with the bright one using your config. As you can see the issue's identical.

I have also included an image of the depth buffer. It's completely off for me when the notebook's open, which has got to be what's causing the issue. And during regular gameplay it all works perfectly.

I've never tried to add AO using reshade to a game, so maybe I'm missing something obvious? :s

Attachments

• 20180827200952_1.jpg
    20180827200952_1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180827200954_1.jpg
    20180827200954_1.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180827201105_1.jpg
    20180827201105_1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180827201417_1.jpg
    20180827201417_1.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 26
By any chance, are you super/down sampling the resolution? I mean in your game configuration, those functions may corrupt MXAO.

@mikester112 , it could be your issue too!

Back