RESIDENT EVIL DISCUSSION THREAD

I’ve loved everything Code Veronica and prior. RE4 was a great game, but I’d gladly pick any one of the original three over it. I hated 5, didn’t bother with 6, and loved 7 (the beginning to middle parts at least). RE2 remake is one of my favorite games of all time, and it stands proudly next to the original RE2 in my top 3. RE3 remake I thought was great, but I also didn’t hold the original in a way high regard anyway. Don’t know what to make of RE8 yet. And yes, I’d prefer a Code Veronica remake of an RE4 remake any day of the week.

I would LOVE to see a properly done Resident Evil film. Something moody, claustrophobic, with zombies from Lucio Fulci’s Zombie. None of this running up walls, wannabe-Matrix bullshit. I’m convinced that the existing films are the reason why the later RE games turned out the way they did. And I cry myself to sleep every night.

I actually think Resident Evil has become one of my favourite gaming series as of late, the main reason is because how accessible they've become this gen:
RE3STACK1.jpg
My RE stack is one of my favourite parts of my PS4 collection, that's 10 games on one damn system! Sensational!

My opinion on the series:
I dig RE1-3 Alot and they are among my favourites RE3 Nemesis in particular.

Never had the Gamecube RE' at launch. I enjoyed RE 1 but found RE Zero too tedious! (Least favourite in the series)

Really enjoyed the RE2 remake, felt like it delivered in everyway - even adding more scenarios than before. Sadly RE3R does feel rushed & lakced any form of innovation that RE2R had.

I wanted to get into Code Veronica but honestly wasn't keen on it, if anything it where a lot of silliness began with Wesker.

RE4 is honestly one of my least favourites... I can certainly appreciate it but I found a lot of the areas silly - the castle with the napoleon midget being a prime example. I love The Village section though & the Lab later on.

RE5 & 6... I don't rate highly as RE games. However! They are some of the best co-op action games available! More people need to play RE6's Multiplayer, not just the campaign either there are loads of extra modes Free on the current gen release which are really fun. Once again Terrible RE games but forgiven as some of the best co-op fun I've ever had!

RE7 - Loved it! Very story driven ans suspenseful. It's a prime example of having a minimal protagonist that works! I HATE Silent Protagonists in games - Even Zelda && Persona (Sorry!) But Ethan is active enough to where he at least engages with what is going on and that is enough for me. Wasn't sure I'd like the FPS change but it really grew on me.

RE8 - Dig the new setting, I know it's very different but I actually find the new enemies types very exciting. Won't be getting it for a while being on PS5.

Also, don't overlook Revelations 2, surprisingly good fun with local co-op campaign!

Last edited:
5 is an excellent game with a fantastic story as well; Chris demolishing the rock is just SO awesome and sooooooo videogamey lol. I mean, it's a series where virus cause horrific mutations and disfigurements on HUMAN bodies, yet punching a rock to smithereens is unrealistic? Ok then...

Anyways, I too agree that 4/5 (don't know about 6) detracted from the eerie, haunting/chilling atmosphere that the other games had established, but they are still great games.

I played Resident Evil 1 and 2 on the original Playstation when i was 12 or 13.
Of course i couldnt buy it but there was a movie rental store in my neighborhood and they had games too.
Only one guy worked there and he didnt care about age restrictions at all
so i rented everything that looked cool / brutal / scary whatever.

I had no idea what Resident Evil was about, i never played a game like this before
so i didnt even understand most of the riddles or why i dont have more ammunition.
I played it a lot of times from the beginning, again and again, until i was able to figure out
how i can move around enemies without shooting them. It took some time to figure out
what the game wants me to do but eventually i finished it and then Resi 2 was a lot easier.

But after Resi 2 (i didnt have a lot of games, just rented games for 4-7 days that i played as much as i could)
i was kind of bored of the gameplay, so i had absolutely no interest in Resi 3.
I remember that i saw gameplay of Code Veronica later and it looked super scary
but i only had a PSX so i couldnt play it.
Years later, like 10 years later, i finally watched a complete playthrough of Code Veronica on Youtube
and i didnt like it at all. The characters, the cinematics and the dialogues are horrible.

The scenes with Steve or whats his name? Its so cringeworthy bad.
And in general, the dialogues between characters are just "???". I dont even know what to say about it.
Yeah Resi 1 & 2 had cheesy bad funny 80s / 90s B horror characters and scripts but with charm.
But Code Veronicas characters and script is like early 2000's very low budget CGI D horror.
Like something that they would air at 4 am in the morning on some low budget sci fi TV channel.
Maybe i would have liked it more when i was 12-15 but watching this today really hurts.

I liked Resi 4 as a action game but not as a horror game, Resi 5 was a nice coop action shooter,
Resi 6 ... i dont know, i think Code Veronica and 6 are the worst games.
I seriously cant stand the way how characters are talking in these two games.
Steve 10/10 one of the worst characters ever.

Steve is the only negative, in CV; pussy Leonardo DiCraprio.

Alfred is written to be a completely psychotic, bipolar person, so he makes total sense.

The rest of the dialogue and acting were perfectly fine.

I just dont like the whole vibe in CV, everythign feels so over the top, weird and wannabe cool.
It already starts with this Matrix style CGI intro.
Resi 1 & 2 is cheesy and funny or whatever but its still overall pretty serious and dark.
I can smile a lot but in a positive way. The characters are pretty normal or grounded.
But CV has this strange mix of characters that dont feel realistic at all, they talk like its a script from a stage play.
Steve with his awkward whining and screaming scenes, Wesker comes back as a super hero,
some british lunatic governour is following you with a Harrier jet,
then there is this bandersnatch enemy with the 10 meter long arm ...

I dont know, it has a completely different vibe or mood than Resi 1-3.
Everything is so overdramatic, like the developers tried to mock their own team.

RE1 remake on GC was legit spooky as heck. Felt chills and dreads around every corner and room.

RE 2 was my first intro to RE Universe and I played it @ a relative's house when I was a kid. I had a crush on Claire. I remember it being cool more than rather being scared.

RE 3 Nemesis didn't leave a satisfying impression on me but there were some moments I did enjoy. I do think it's still a great game but I just wanted a little something more like a director's cut version. It needed some extra fleshing out/meat on the story.

RE 0 I think the train segment was my only fav part about the game. I hated the mansion setting. It was so darn confusing and frustrating I had to use a walk-through to clear it.

RE Survivor I'm prolly in the minority, but I liked the FPS style of exploration and game-play even tho It was a changed to the classic formula and is inferior.

RE Veronica Antarctica was where the game really picked up for me. The boss encounters was def the highlight imo. I was annoyed most of the time as I tread through the prison island segment.

RE Dead AIM I do think this one redeemed survivor imo. It kept the FPS shooting/gameplay but exploration was back to 3rd person and puzzle solving to make progress.

RE 4 I hated it at first. But overtime it grew on me. I think the initial shock from the new shakeup of game-play formula just needed some time for me to get used to it. But cheap QTE deaths are still the bane of my existence with this entry.

RE Darkside Chronicle I really liked the exotic jungle setting and glad it flesh out RE4 some more contextually in the story department. Tho it's pretty chill with the whole rail-shooting aspect.

RE Outbreak files 1&2 The greatest replay-ability RE has ever achieved. I'd even say this is the peak of the traditional classic RE formula. A modern remaster with fine-tuned Ai's and networking is a must to do it justice if Capcom can realize the potential.

RE 5 I hated it. Too action orientated. Once I got to the turret segment it killed any good-will I had left for the entry. But I did finish it once and then never looked back.

RE Revelations 1&2 The dynamic perspectives & Co-op was fun. The mansion segment was too short but darn it was nostalgic as heck in terms of the mood it sets. Otherwise, I was pretty neutral. Not really loving or hating it in any sense.

RE6 It had a promising start...then it soured. Nothing else to say but this:
1592595938446.png

RE Racoon City I didn't like R5 and this reminded me too much of it with the cover base TPS. So I nope out+I didn't finished it and got a refund.

RE Umbrella corp It review so badly and was infamous for being the worst entry. So I skipped it.

RE2 remake Was not the returned to form I was expecting but, I can respect the attempt. I'd say it's a point below the original in terms of overall satisfaction for me.

RE3 Remake, I'm waiting on a deeper sale before I dive into this one. Since it's too short and mixed in its reception for the full price.

RE7 I wish there was more variety in the BOW enemies. Not only design, but gimmicks as well to keep them interesting. This could be the evolution peak of what the Survivor serie's gameplay tried to achieve in their entries.

RE8 I'll wait till more content is revealed to have a def opinion on it. I prolly won't get to play it till 3-4 years into the Ps5 life span since I'm a late adopter.

Gotta love that cheesy 90s voice acting in code veronica. Reminds me of a certain game lol. That annoying twat steve would fit right into shenmue as an npc.

I was actually considering picking up re6 on the ps4. Its 6 bucks but thats still a rip off lol. Ill give in at 2 dollars.... Maybe

I wouldn't mind seeing a modern remake of resident evil 1. Over the shoulder camera etc

been following RE games since the ps1 days.

while i enjoyed the RE2 & RE3 remakes, if it was upto me... they would make a super realistic, fixed camera angle RE game, like gamecube version but on steroids. story wise, they have seemed to have hit a brick wall :crying:

i have zero interest in first person resident evil games.

I haven't played RE7 nor the re2 and re3 remakes, since I need to update my pc. I honestly do not care much about the RE3 remake since I did not enjoy much Resident Evil3 at its time.

Enjoyed rRE5 juat for the coop but I do not think it is a good resident evil and just an okish action game. The same with RE6.

I really believe they should just do a soft reboot forget about Chris an company and start anew with new setting ans characters, the plot was already getting super silly since code veronica and seeing that they are continuing on it at RE8 is a bit worrying.

I pretty much avoided horror games until about ten years ago, even though I was perfectly fine with Japanese horror movies like Ju-On 2. So I was really late to the series, but maybe seven years or so ago I started with the Saturn version of Biohazard. I thought it was great. Load times were kind of long, but it was really fun, regardless. I enjoyed it a lot. Still haven't actually played Chris' side, though (I don't really care much about Chris--or Leon, for that matter).

A few years after that I played through Biohazard 2, Biohazard 3, and Biohazard Code: Veronica Kanzenban in rapid succession on the Dreamcast. I thought 2 was all right, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first game (I went Leon -> Claire). Played 3 on Heavy, and got pretty fed up with the game toward the end. It was all right, but definitely my least favorite.

Code: Veronica was flippin' awesome. I love that game. It's my favorite of the four, and about even with Illbleed for my favorite horror game on the Dreamcast. Really a shame that they borked the contrast/gamma so hard in the HD version.

I have REmake on the Gamecube (and maybe steam, actually), along with RE 0 and RE 4, but haven't really played any of them yet. I've been meaning to, but just haven't gotten around to it. I also have Revelations 1 and 2 on PC, which I might play eventually. Not really interested in anything else in the series, though. The level of detail in the recent remakes is a bit too much for me, and I don't care enough about 2 or 3 to begin with.

If there is one thing I'd add/remove from the modern iterations of the franchise as a whole...I'd like QTE's to go. I just don't think they are done contextually well and the randomness is frustrating as heck when you're in tunnel vision mode due to the intensity of the moment.

What I'd add is if whoever is the MC we're playing to add commentary to notes/files we pick up. It'd make it more immersive on top of the world building.

Steve is an annoying, angsty, sexually frustrated sperg, but that's also what makes him great.

SHUT UP

I DONT WANNA TALK ABOUT IT

*holds uzi trigger down for 5 seconds despite ammo being a precious limited commodity in their current situation*

CV and RE1 are my two favorite RE games, though 2 and REmake are up there as well. 4 - 6 were a blast imo, but I agree that they're very different in terms of game feel from the previous installments. I don't enjoy them as much, but I do enjoy them quite a lot still. And yes Chris going ham on the boulder was awesome.

is resident evil 7 worth playing, is it fun?

i played the demo years ago and didnt like the first person view but im thinking i should give it another go and force myself to play it.

From what I've seen, looks awesome and for those that have beaten it to completion, say it's a definite return to roots, in terms of atmosphere and feeling.

Back