Revealed: Sega's cancelled Shenmue HD remake - with fully updated graphics (EuroGamer) Update 16/10 - Sega respond

Man, I haven't been active around here for a while and then suddently this pops up. I don't know yet if I'm just dreaming this up... Really unbelievable that something like this was a thing and it was able to surface.

The poor performance has me thinking this is an upgraded version of the OG engines, i.e. it was not optimised at that point in development to properly take advantage of the newer graphical features on modern hardware.
It could just be because someone captured it directly from the PC that was running it. I noticed when I tried to capture video of the originals from a Dreamcast emulator I would run into this problem where they ran fine normally but as soon as I try to use OBS to record they can't maintain full speed all the time. Given this was a leak, it's plausible they didn't have dedicated capture hardware to do a WYSIWYG capture.

Given the amount of unused leftovers in the EXEs for both games, I would not be surprised if some of the rendering features created for this version are still there and just not used. (Haven't investigated this yet, but it might be worth doing at some point)

Last edited:
Bang on, That is exactly what would have happened. They would have said the new higher details models "look like a 2012 game" or some other similar bollocks and the game would have come off worse in people's eyes than the faithful port we actually got. It would literally take a Resident Evil 2 style level of remake to stop internet hyperbole blasting into orbit and that level of budget is simply unreasonable.

I'm with you on this one. It would be Majora's Mask 3D all over again, especially with a community so obsessed with small details like the Shenmue community. People would complain that the lightning was wrong, that the textures don't fit the mood, that the animations are cheap, that the presentation isn't like in the original, etc, etc... And God forbid if they ever changed the fightning system in any what want so ever, people would never forgive D3T for that.

Let's face it people, the only way in with a HD remake of Shenmue would ever work, is if Yu Suzuki was directly involved with it.

i think in the long run it's more useful this way because let's be honest in this state the remake would probably have better graphics than shenmue 3

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly be more disappointed in the ports, this happens lol. Oh well, par for the course for us SEGA fans...

Strangely, I'm not really that upset by this. I'm happy with the original version we got. Still feel bad for d3t for going through all that effort.

Wow!

I am really happy with the rerelease of Shenmue I&II

But to have it with the quality we can see in the video, it would be really fantastic !! :)
And I must say, I don't really understand sega who has financed the full remake of Yakuza 1 and 2, so I don't understand why they canceled the remake of shenmue ...

Wow!

I am really happy with the rerelease of Shenmue I&II

But to have it with the quality we can see in the video, it would be really fantastic !! :)
And I must say, I don't really understand sega who has financed the full remake of Yakuza 1 and 2, so I don't understand why they canceled the remake of shenmue ...
More importanly, why would they start it just to change their mind? Are they just keeping tradition of making Shenmue more costly than it should be?

More importanly, why would they start it just to change their mind? Are they just keeping tradition of making Shenmue more costly than it should be?
It was probably a concept that they realised cost too much and didn't fit what they were looking for. It does explain to a point why we got what we got and it that was canned say a year ago it's given the developers less than that to refocus and go again. Anyway that's a different topic

That being said as I understand it the releases have done rather well and while I can't imagine Sega wanted this out who is to say more won't follow if 3 doesn't do well. Fingers crossed.

Stories like this is why I'll never stop believing that a Dreamcast version of Shenmue 3 exists. I hope we get more footage of what Ryo and the other main character models looked like. Between Shenmue Saturn, VF3 Saturn, The Ben Harbourne edition Shenmue that may or may not have been worked on, Project Berkley 2 for Xbox 360, and now this just adds to the depth of Sega's vault.

There is no telling what secrets Sega is hiding in their chamber of lost games.

Last edited:
#SaveShenmueHDAgain

Just kidding

This is actually pretty damn awesome and I appreciate DF bringing this to light. It would have been so rad

i think in the long run it's more useful this way because let's be honest in this state the remake would probably have better graphics than shenmue 3
Let's be honest? Compare literally any Shenmue III footage to the DF video; S3 is in a different league. Lighting, shadow, effects, and so on. Some people really can't see the forest for the trees due to the unfinished character models and animation. That's the problem with being obligated to show things before they're ready, and not having the budget to burn on elaborate trailers.

To be honest when i first seen the Dojo scene i thought wow that looks great and in keeping with the original Shenmue vibe but after seeing a few of the other shots i was less impressed.

If Sega had confidence in shenmue then they would of given this job to their in-house yakuza team and done a kiwami style remake like they did for yakuza 1 & 2,which took the decade old ps2 engine and redo the whole game.

Oh well at least we have shenmue III to look forward too,patiently waiting for steam patch 5 before i start shenmue II after reading about the music issues though!

While I would like to see a revamped Shenmue, it was for the best TBH.
The "simple" port got launched with a lot of bugs, the video is around 2 years of work, while it looks good and somewhat faithful to the original, is not that big of a leap.
We (now) have at least a mostly working hd release, and that's good enough, the remake would be still on the horizon even after SIII would get released.
I'm only sad they spent money/time in something that will not see the light of day.

Unlikely. Sega UK basically closed up shop last week and lots of people were let go. QA was moved to Bulgaria. This whole project was started in the UK hence d3t working with them. No chance this is revived. :(

This news makes me glad that Sega aren't anywhere near shenmue 3's development! Do you have any info on why Sega UK was shutdown so quickly after the success of the re-release? Seems crazy to do this at this stage when d3t are still applying fixes to the game.

This news has put a big downer on the re-release for me personally.

Good work on this I always find your videos really interesting.

Been busy else where starting my YouTube and editing video and playing games and writing reviews and saw this today. This changes so much that its hard to even fathom, this whole situation is so loaded now i dont even know where to begin. Just hate the fact so much was mis managed or dead lines were not met or funding ran dry or what ever the case was. Seems like all we can really do is piece together the information from recent interviews and try to make a hazy picture, I think the biggest draws are this article, the PC Gamer interview with d3t and the IGN interview from TGS. I have so many different ideas about what may have happened and what went on that ended with the results we got with Shenmue HD, it all makes a little more sense at the very least. I also wonder why they didnt release this info sooner but I am glad we have some closure as to what was really going on. Also give this a watch, it has some interesting ideas.

Back