General RGG Discussion

With the 3, 4, 5 re release now available on PS4, Xbox One and PC
i dont think we will get any 3, 4, 5 Kiwami versions.

I get why they are doing it for Judgment, because it was their first new Yakuza spin off game
with a full english dub and it sold more than they expected on PS4.
So now that next gen is out, they know what kind of performance this engine is able to achieve because of Yakuza 7
and some time has passed,
they probably thought it cant hurt to release this game again.
Maybe this is also a sign that Judgment 2 is on its way.

I also dont think there will be a Fist of the North Star Kiwami.

Ishin and Kenzan ... well ... i have no idea.
The way they talked about these two games in the past couple of years makes it really hard to predict the future.
They acknowledged our interest but still nothing happened and Sega even declined any plans.
Then Scott Strichart said they had so much to do with the other RGG games,
there was simply no time for them to think about old spin off games.

Now its like a 33,3% chance that we will never see or hear anything about these two games ever again
33,3% chance that they will give us Ishin as a english port (i dont think they would give us Kenzan in this scenario, its too old)
and 33,3% chance that they are actually doing remakes for these games
or they are doing a (Ichiban?) spin off sequel with the same setting / style and it gets a english release day one.

I think the chances for a simple english re release of the original Kenzan game are extremely low now.
That game is older than Yakuza 3.

It feels like they’re trying to make the rerelease look more “natural” but it just makes it more boring visually.
I can't judge them

images

Well, I finally beat Yakuza 4. A very good game in its own right, but it doesn't hold a candle to 3 imo. The combat was still great, but I actually didn't like it as much as 3 (crazy, I know). Playing as the 3 new guys was fun enough, but none of them were as fun as playing as Kiryu in 3 (or 4 for that matter). The story was complicated and had plenty of twists, which normally I like in a game, but I just didn't care for it here for whatever reason. Conversly, Yakuza 3 had a, relatively speaking, very simple and personal story. Which I normally don't like, and yet I loved it. The actual story telling to deliver it was imo much better in 4 than in 3, yet I just liked the actual story and characters in 3 a whole lot more. And there's just no beating that Okinawa setting for me. All those little moments with the kids in the orphanage, with the dog, on the beach, the humor... It was all just so masterful in 3. And again, to reiterate just how crazy and wrong I am, I really LOVED the way the combat felt in 3 and the way the enemies were all balanced. I loved the elaborate encounters and I loved the bosses. I just liked it more than in 4.

idk. Like I said to start, 4 is a very good game isolated on its own, but 3 is just an absolute wonder. If I'm being honest, I probably won't play 4 again, but I know for a fact I'll be coming back to 3. If you put a gun to my head and made me rank the ones I played right now, it'd be

0 = 3 > K1 > K2 = 4

Which is fairly close to Sput's rankings, although he hasn't played 4 yet. 0 was just a good all around package, excellent at everything. 3's only real weakness to me was the storytelling (probably the weakest story telling of the games I've played so far), but the story itself was great, characters/characterization were great, and the setting/execution was just untouchable. K1 had a fantastic story AND amazing storytelling, great characterization, and the combat was solid... But modern(ish) Kamurocho just doesn't excite me the way Okinawa or 80's Kamurocho does. The side quests and side activities also weren't as good as 3/0 overall imo, but that's exactly what you'd expect for the first entry in the series. Even with this remake, which I know added some stuff.

I feel like 4 had a better story than K2's PILE OF GARBAGE (imo...) story. It never really bothered me the way K2's did, but it didn't really excite me the way 0/K1/3's did either. I felt like K2 had mildly better storytelling though, for whatever good that's worth when it's telling a story I hate. Weirdly enough, I felt like 4 had better combat, yet K2 had far better encounters to actually utilize the combat in. K2 had better side stuff. Aside from that, it's all a wash. Pretty comparable as a total experience imo. Very good games, but my least favorites of the Yakuzas I've played thus far.

Now onward to 5!

EDIT: Also just wanna add 3 and 4 had some really good tracks. I think that was the part of 4 that pleasantly surprised me the most. I hope 5 continues this trend. Probably my favorite track from each:

I can't judge them

images
O O F
O
F

Last edited:
Well, I finally beat Yakuza 4. A very good game in its own right, but it doesn't hold a candle to 3 imo. The combat was still great, but I actually didn't like it as much as 3 (crazy, I know). Playing as the 3 new guys was fun enough, but none of them were as fun as playing as Kiryu in 3 (or 4 for that matter). The story was complicated and had plenty of twists, which normally I like in a game, but I just didn't care for it here for whatever reason. Conversly, Yakuza 3 had a, relatively speaking, very simple and personal story. Which I normally don't like, and yet I loved it. The actual story telling to deliver it was imo much better in 4 than in 3, yet I just liked the actual story and characters in 3 a whole lot more. And there's just no beating that Okinawa setting for me. All those little moments with the kids in the orphanage, with the dog, on the beach, the humor... It was all just so masterful in 3. And again, to reiterate just how crazy and wrong I am, I really LOVED the way the combat felt in 3 and the way the enemies were all balanced. I loved the elaborate encounters and I loved the bosses. I just liked it more than in 4.

idk. Like I said to start, 4 is a very good game isolated on its own, but 3 is just an absolute wonder. If I'm being honest, I probably won't play 4 again, but I know for a fact I'll be coming back to 3. If you put a gun to my head and made me rank the ones I played right now, it'd be

0 = 3 > K1 > K2 = 4

Which is fairly close to Sput's rankings, although he hasn't played 4 yet. 0 was just a good all around package, excellent at everything. 3's only real weakness to me was the storytelling (probably the weakest story telling of the games I've played so far), but the story itself was great, characters/characterization were great, and the setting/execution was just untouchable. K1 had a fantastic story AND amazing storytelling, great characterization, and the combat was solid... But modern(ish) Kamurocho just doesn't excite me the way Okinawa or 80's Kamurocho does. The side quests and side activities also weren't as good as 3/0 overall imo, but that's exactly what you'd expect for the first entry in the series. Even with this remake, which I know added some stuff.

I feel like 4 had a better story than K2's PILE OF GARBAGE (imo...) story. It never really bothered me the way K2's did, but it didn't really excite me the way 0/K1/3's did either. I felt like K2 had mildly better storytelling though, for whatever good that's worth when it's telling a story I hate. Weirdly enough, I felt like 4 had better combat, yet K2 had far better encounters to actually utilize the combat in. K2 had better side stuff. Aside from that, it's all a wash. Pretty comparable as a total experience imo. Very good games, but my least favorites of the Yakuzas I've played thus far.

Now onward to 5!

EDIT: Also just wanna add 3 and 4 had some really good tracks. I think that was the part of 4 that pleasantly surprised me the most. I hope 5 continues this trend. Probably my favorite track from each:

O O F
O
F
Welcome to the "We Love Yakuza 3" club! We're few in number, but god damn do we exist :)

It's funny, I've been reading Facebook posts of people playing Y3 for the first time through Steam and there are a lot of people who don't like Yakuza 3 apparently. Oh well, their loss. Hell of a game! Agree with everything you said about it....and I would go even further and say it should have been the end of Kiryu's saga.

There's something about small town vibes that speaks to me...hence why I love that game (and Yakuza 6 while at it)

3 felt like a fitting end indeed, but they redeemed themselves with 5 and 6, so alls good :)

3 is just a much better-framed game; you have your big bad, but there are 3 others that vie for that position as well: the three-headed monster were PERFECT antagonists and Richardson added some mysterious, outsider vibe that clashed with the, "villainship," as well.

It was written fantastically.

EDIT* Wanted to add that of course the casuals and fans of 0 don't like 3; they think every title in the series is bonkers, pedal to the metal action and ridiculousness that 0 was, when 3 is much more-grounded in reality and the point of the games in the first place; to show the struggle of a Yakuza trying to leave the life and how being in the Yakuza brings nothing but pain and sadness and that these are not people to be glorified or celebrated.

It flies right over their heads.

Alright finished Y3

Like I say, clunky gameplay, but still enjoyed it. Not much sidestories, wanna to get through quickly

Y0
Y3
YK1
YK2

Gonna play The medium and then will play Y4. Still have plenty of time, I have the gamepass till April 25th

Right, just started the fifth chapter in Yakuza 3 Remastered and the game is really beginning to pick up now. All that orphanage shit can fuck right off.

"Aww, but it was so nice seeing Kiryu interacting with the children and being a good father figure in their lives. It really shows a different side to his character. They even call him Uncle Kaz! So kawaii desu ne!"

PUT IT IN A COUPLE OF FUCKING CUTSCENES INSTEAD OF FORCING ME TO TRAVEL BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE ORPHANAGE AND RYUKYU DOZENS OF TIMES FOR NEGLIGIBLE REASONS FOR THOSE UNGRATEFUL LITTLE TWITS, THEN! Christ. I hope a tsunami washes the bloody place away. Keep the dog safe, though.

Kamurocho is where it's at.

Right, just started the fifth chapter in Yakuza 3 Remastered and the game is really beginning to pick up now. All that orphanage shit can fuck right off.

"Aww, but it was so nice seeing Kiryu interacting with the children and being a good father figure in their lives. It really shows a different side to his character. They even call him Uncle Kaz! So kawaii desu ne!"

PUT IT IN A COUPLE OF FUCKING CUTSCENES INSTEAD OF FORCING ME TO TRAVEL BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE ORPHANAGE AND RYUKYU DOZENS OF TIMES FOR NEGLIGIBLE REASONS FOR THOSE UNGRATEFUL LITTLE TWITS, THEN! Christ. I hope a tsunami washes the bloody place away. Keep the dog safe, though.

FAKE NEWS. Hidden, reported, and called the police.

I haven't played Yakuza since I platted 5 on my ps3.

I might get Y0. How is the gameplay in the prequel?
It's good; you still get multiple fight styles, but from a practicality standpoint, literally only 2 are useful per player.

The story is good, but highly-overrated because there's a love story there and people go nuts for that.

The extras are phenomenal and arguably the best in the series, plus the, "Another Life," from 5 is expanded upon and done very well.

Lots of JAV actresses as well, which makes it fun.

Don't buy into people saying that, "it's the best one," because it isn't. Top 5? Absolutely, but not the best.

You're evil :mad:

It's good; you still get multiple fight styles, but from a practicality standpoint, literally only 2 are useful per player.

The story is good, but highly-overrated because there's a love story there and people go nuts for that.

The extras are phenomenal and arguably the best in the series, plus the, "Another Life," from 5 is expanded upon and done very well.

Lots of JAV actresses as well, which makes it fun.

Don't buy into people saying that, "it's the best one," because it isn't. Top 5? Absolutely, but not the best.

You're evil :mad:
Did you just assume my morality alignment? That's, like, really offensive. It's 2021!

I'm not saying the orphanage thing is objectively bad; speaking strictly about gameplay, I found the change of pace compared to the other three I've played so sudden and foreign. I didn't mind it to begin with - there are some pretty sweet moments throughout, in fact - but it just went on and on and on and on and on to such a degree that I was done with it early on.

Back