General RGG Discussion

It is somewhat strange though on some fronts. I suppose when Money talks SEGA answers.

I think most of these deals probably make a lot of sense.
You now, Virtua Fighter two months for 'free' for all PS+ users,
this game will probably have the most players in week one and two
that a Virtua Fighter game ever had.

Stadia and Epic probably paid enough to compensate the missing sales numbers in that time frame
and also Sega will still receive money after the exclusive deal from the missing platform.
So i get that.

But then at the same time why even make these multiplatform, simultaneous release kind of comments?
Its only going to anger more people because the statements they released 1-3 years ago never came true.
You cant have the 'good guy company' status and the 'lets take the money from the highest offer' status
at the same time. Pick one.

But then at the same time why even make these multiplatform, simultaneous release kind of comments?
Its only going to anger more people because the statements they released 1-3 years ago never came true.
You cant have the 'good guy company' status and the 'lets take the money from the highest offer' status
at the same time. Pick one.

Yeah, I know...it's weird all around.

I just think it's a bit more complicated. It really seemed like P4G and Catherine Vanilla on Steam was Atlus testing the waters. I guess they've followed up with P5 Strikers and Shin Megami Tensei III Remaster on PC but it seems like they're unwilling to dip their entire foot in the water with their entire catalog.

And SEGA as a whole, while very embracing of PC in general, just seems mixed bag as of late for reasons unexplained.

It's strange all around. Why play up the idea of multiplatform but do some and leave out others? It's weird, but business is business I guess.

Ever since the old Sega PC days, they've always been spotty with their support for PC.

First and most experience with Sonic R was on my old HP Pavilion Windows XP machine <3

I want P4G on ps4/ps5
I kind of do too...I'm almost tempted to go four the 3rd platinum if it ever comes to PS4/PS5....I already have the game platinumed twice on my Vita (EU and US versions have seperate trophy lists and I have the platinum for both)

Probably a bit late but i still think its pretty cool.
You can find tons of Judgment work in progress stuff
in the files of the Yakuza Kiwami 2 PC version.

judg1.png
judg2.png
judg3.png
judg4.png
judg5.png
judg6.png

There are also a lot of (staged) real life crime scenes and security cam footage pictures,
probably used as guideline.
Which also shows how RGG is working. By the time they finished and released Kiwami 2,
Judgment was already in full development.

Has anyone else seen the trailer for Lost Judgment?? I have mixed feelings and am surprised that it actually caught my attention. The choice of location and character models look interesting for a game of this style and the story potential looks fairly compelling and somewhat thought provoking as it seems to create a curiousity in questioning moral ground and corruption. I viewed some of the action in another clip and the fighting mechanics look awful..like really broken and dated, but if the game focuses on exploration and detective style work more than fighting, and if this title can stay away from adding too much comedy or over the top Japanese anime style delivery then it seems like this game could turn out to be decent. The main character is a bit hard to take seriously as a martial artist, but comes off as convincing in his investigations. A mixed bag but I'm certainly curious to see what this may deliver.

I have not fully yet, and no I don't like any Yakuza games for basically every reason, but from a story telling stand point Lost Judgment looks interesting and very different from Yakuza, it actually looks like it takes itself seriously and has something to say in it's story telling, which I don't see in the Yakuza titles. I did notice the fighting mechanics seem to be the same from a little bit of the gameplay I saw on youtube, but that may be tolerable if the story is solid, deep and compelling and if the main character is likable. I'm not going to draw any other comparisons to Yakuza because unbeknownst to me my post asking people about their thoughts on the upcoming Lost Judgment game has been moved from its own thread in General Gaming to the Yakuza thread. I intentionally didn't post it here hoping to get a differentiating view of opinion from people who possibly don't come into the Yakuza thread because they don't care for it and not everything needs to be lumped in with the Yakuza franchise just because its from Sega or the same studio. Of course the response of opinions, thoughts and feelings here will be overwhelmingly one sided since I can't imagine non-Yakuza fans being on this thread. I'm also not a fan of coming into a thread or a forum and shitting all over the topic at hand if others are sharing in their love for something, but since I didn't share this in the Yakuza thread it is what it is. @Your Boy Leroy how does the original Judgment compare to Yakuza outside of the graphics, fighting mechanics and studio behind it? Does it really feel like a clone of Yakuza or is there actually some character development and moral to the story with Judgment? From what I've seen the original Judgment doesn't look too bad, but Lost Judgment looks fairly good.

... I'm not going to draw any other comparisons to Yakuza because unbeknownst to me my post asking people about their thoughts on the upcoming Lost Judgment game has been moved from its own thread in General Gaming to the Yakuza thread. I intentionally didn't post it here hoping to get a differentiating view of opinion from people who possibly don't come into the Yakuza thread because they don't care for it and not everything needs to be lumped in with the Yakuza franchise just because its from Sega or the same studio.

I merged due to the existing two old thread from 2018 for the original Judgment were merged here by myself. During my hype of the Lost Judgment announcement a month ago I made a topic to gauge interest in an exclusive thread, but in my excitement for the new game I failed to do a simple search to find the topics from 2018 :D Oof!

Then, when I deleted my new Judgment thread, before I was able to pose the same question in here a few pages ago, spud renamed per user request to be all encompassing because we already talk about everything RGG here anyway.

You'll have more eyeballs here and no need to be cluttered with same topic in separate threads.

I have not fully yet, and no I don't like any Yakuza games for basically every reason, but from a story telling stand point Lost Judgment looks interesting and very different from Yakuza, it actually looks like it takes itself seriously and has something to say in it's story telling, which I don't see in the Yakuza titles. I did notice the fighting mechanics seem to be the same from a little bit of the gameplay I saw on youtube, but that may be tolerable if the story is solid, deep and compelling and if the main character is likable. I'm not going to draw any other comparisons to Yakuza because unbeknownst to me my post asking people about their thoughts on the upcoming Lost Judgment game has been moved from its own thread in General Gaming to the Yakuza thread. I intentionally didn't post it here hoping to get a differentiating view of opinion from people who possibly don't come into the Yakuza thread because they don't care for it and not everything needs to be lumped in with the Yakuza franchise just because its from Sega or the same studio. Of course the response of opinions, thoughts and feelings here will be overwhelmingly one sided since I can't imagine non-Yakuza fans being on this thread. I'm also not a fan of coming into a thread or a forum and shitting all over the topic at hand if others are sharing in their love for something, but since I didn't share this in the Yakuza thread it is what it is. @Your Boy Leroy how does the original Judgment compare to Yakuza outside of the graphics, fighting mechanics and studio behind it? Does it really feel like a clone of Yakuza or is there actually some character development and moral to the story with Judgment? From what I've seen the original Judgment doesn't look too bad, but Lost Judgment looks fairly good.

Your thinly-veiled shitting on the series is getting SO TIRESOME, just stop feeling the need to post a (an incorrect one, at that) jab at the series every time you post: you sound like a 12 year old who's mad 'cause their favourite popstar just left the pre-teen group they were in.

The entire series takes itself VERY seriously, story-wise and has never had light moments in the story/plot, unless there's a resolution to something or if the game is over.

We get it; you don't like it, now stop FFS.

Anyways, Judge Eyes absolutely had a plot about morality and corruption at the, "higher levels," of society and government (and hey, so did Yakuza 3, in spades, WHICH MIRRORED REAL LIFE EVENTS IN JAPAN AT THE TIME, but I digress) and the daily struggle Yagami had with his past clients/cases is what moved the plot forward and helped the player understand the chip on Yagami's shoulder, as well as help them make/see the correct moral choices that Yagami had to make, in order to clear those who were wronged and go after the rightful criminals.

The plot was phenomenal and this one seems to be picking up right where the first game left off. We're in for a treat.

Let's try to keep cool; perfectly valid not to like Yakuza.

Shenmue and Judgment are better anyway :)

Judgment has much more similarities to Shenmue than lazy Yakuza comparisons.

Wait, which main series Yakuza story game doesnt take itself seriously?
The tone of the main stories in these games is like 80% super serious and literally always rated 18+ here (PEGI / USK)
Most of the time its harder and dirtier than any other mafia crime drama games
like the Sherlock games or LA Noire.
So this seems more like a personal problem with the overall style of the studio?
Then thats just how it is, nothing anyone can do about
and this isnt going to change suddenly after like 10 released games all within the same universe.
Its the style of this series.
If you only care about the story, you could watch the first 90-180 minutes
of CohhCarnages livestream on Youtube for example. Hes a very neutral streamer who simply plays this stuff
for what it is and not for memes or whatever.
The main story of Judgment with its themes isnt funny or ironic at all.

I hold Judgement in VERY high regard, and I think it’s the best written and produced game the studio has made, even though it’s not my absolute favorite game they’ve made. That said though, I think it’s safe to say that if you don’t like Yakuza for the gameplay, then Judgment won’t win you over because aside from minor gameplay differences and a different cast, they’re essentially the same game. I’d still very much encourage you to give Judgement a try though.

I hold Judgement in VERY high regard, and I think it’s the best written and produced game the studio has made, even though it’s not my absolute favorite game they’ve made. That said though, I think it’s safe to say that if you don’t like Yakuza for the gameplay, then Judgment won’t win you over because aside from minor gameplay differences and a different cast, they’re essentially the same game. I’d still very much encourage you to give Judgement a try though.
Thank You for your input. I appreciate that you understand what I was going for and how I was attempting to separate the topics when I started an individual thread for Lost Judgment, and I also appreciate the honest direct comparisons to Yakuza. I don't expect the fighting mechanics or other things I don't enjoy about the Yakuza games to be any different with Lost Judgment considering its the same studio doing the same kind of genre, but if Judgment has a compelling enough story and character development it's possible I could overlook the similarities that I most likely wouldn't enjoy about the other franchise made by the studio. The thing that surprised the hell out of me and caught my attention with the Lost Judgment trailer was how much more thought provoking, intelligent and engaging the plot looks compared to the studios other franchise. It feels like a franchise that has something compelling to say, mainly about issues or morality, justice(or lack thereof) and being a voice for the voiceless. This of course could all just be fluff for the trailer, but it certainly caught my eye. Without giving away any plot points, does the first Judgment story have the same intelligent and engaging plot and character developments as the Lost Judgment trailer appears to suggest?

I am pleased to hear Judgment is more like Shenmue than Yakuza, and from the Lost Judgment trailer I can see that. While on one hand its clear that the energy, vibe and direction behind Lost Judgment is very different from Shenmue, the similarity I can see is it seems to have intelligence and depth and quite possibly some sort of moral to the story or something important to say, which I haven't seen in the Yakuza titles. Yakuza feels like an arcade type game more than it does a piece of art. Like a popcorn action flick versus a theatrical masterpiece. Nothing wrong with either genre in and of themselves, but I'm looking for something that goes deeper than the other franchise and Lost Judgment has caught my attention. I must admit, I laughed when reading your opening sentence cause I figured once my Lost Judgment thread was merged into the Yakuza thread that there would be some heat when getting into comparisons, which is why I kept it separate originally. Either way, were here now and with the main reason I started the other thread was to talk about Judgment and I am seeing some positive responses praising it which is the exact type of conversation I was hoping to have. Do you feel like the first Judgment game has an intelligent and deep story that is a 'must play' experience, or is it worth skipping and just going to the sequel?

It would probably help the flow of the discussion a lot if you would stop mentioning in every second sentence
how Yakuza stories have no depth and nothing important to say etc.
You can ask about Judgment and Lost Judgment without throwing around negative vibes left and right.
Its probably not a great idea to ask for serious respectable opinions,
when your own post is flawed in that department.
You pretty much want us to read 10-20 sentences each time and 90% of these have negative vibes
but then at the end you expect us to answer your questions in a positive way.
Thats not a great mix, is it

Last edited:
It would probably help the flow of the discussion a lot if you would stop mentioning in every second sentence
You can ask about Judgment and Lost Judgment without throwing around negative vibes left and right.
You pretty much want us to read 10-20 sentences each time and 90% of these have negative vibes
I disagree but appreciate your input. As I mentioned before I didn't post Lost Judgment in the Yakuza thread to get any input on Yakuza, since it was moved here by the forum admins. I don't come into this thread and talk poorly about Yakuza, but given the circumstance it is what it is and I'm going to continue to express my feelings and opinions freely as I see fit. Why is it not a great idea to ask about serious respectable opinions? I have no issue receiving them on this forum in general because I post genuine curiosity and questions to get peoples opinions while sharing my own. That's really all this comes down to is a difference of opinion. You think my post is flawed, thats cool, I disagree. You interpret it as negative, that's also cool, I disagree. I don't expect anyone to read my posts unless they want to nor do I expect the questions to be answered in a 'positive way' but rather in an honest way. If someone's being a genuine prick or attacking me directly which would be actual negativity I would ignore and move on. Have you seen me attack anyone directly for liking Yakuza, or for any taste they may have for that matter? I'm certain I haven't done that, and if I ever have I'd be willing to take a look at the context and own it. I'll do something I rarely do cause it's redundant but given the commentary of this post I'll say that *in my opinion* speaking directly your own opinion, your own truth or your own feelings isn't something anyone should compromise on or feel apologetic about. In case you decide to not engage with my post again, I want to Thank You for sharing your view and encourage you to continue to do so.

Thank you.

An opinion is one thing, but literally EVERY post on the subject, he takes a jab. So tiresome.

Hey, you can go back on the MANY pages in this thread (many posts of which you were a part of ;)) and you can see that posters that don't like the series or a specific game, are SUPER-respectful and don't resort to childish jabs and slander.

You don't have to read that post, but take a look at that, if you have a couple of minutes.

It's not about people disliking the game (to silence/cancel, isn't morally-just), it's about a single poster, that goes out of their way to bash the series, constantly; Tosh stated it perfectly above.

If this was a 'mue-specific situation, where someone was going out of their way to bash the series in non-'mue threads, they would be met with the same response.

IMO, criticism is always valid; taking the piss out of something unnecessarily, isn't.

Last edited:
Back