General RGG Discussion

It still bothers the fuck out of me that there is no cross save for Yakuza 7 between the PS4 and PS5 version.

I finally went back to Yakuza 7 today picking up where I left it on the PS4 version. I have the free PS5 upgrade installed but haven't touched it because I just can't bring myself to do another 60 hours to catch up to where I left the PS4 version at Chapter 11. I would have LOVED a cross save feature to bring my PS4 save to the 60fps PS5 version.

But alas, SEGA doesn't play that way apparently...I really don't get how the hell they didn't factor that it would be a great option to include for those who don't want to reinvest those hours to catch up to their PS4 save.

Also, I saw Judgment on PS5 for $29 the other day at my local EB...almost considered buying it. Might be nice to play through Judgment again before Lost Judgment in September.

I still have to pre-order it, but given that the Western Release will have subtitles and keep the original music, looks like I won't be importing... FINALLY.

That actually makes me a bit sad lol, the end of an era.

Back to Chapter 13 in Yakuza 7.

Spent most of yesterday afternoon grinding the battle arena and progressed a bit further in the story.

We're in the home stretch. Not sure if I'll go for the platinum or just see the story through. Although I suppose most of the heavy grind is done. It's more so the grind to level 70/80 for the true tower battle that leaves me to wonder "should I do it a second time?"

I did the platinum trophy for the Japanese release back when it came out but part of me can't be assed to do the grind again for the second platinum. Although I suppose it isn't too bad this time around as I know which Jobs are the best to level up and which jobs are best required for those battles. Will see how I feel, but for now, plugging away at the main story still.

Playing it with the English dub still...I just wanted to know. Majima's English voice isn't terrible, but Kiryu? After 6 games with Japanese Kiryu, boy oh boy English Kiryu just doesn't sound right at all. I know it's the same VA who did the original PS2 dub and all, but yeah, even then he just doesn't sound right. Kiryu really is soft spoken for the most part in the Japanese version whereas English Kiryu just seems too assertive almost...if that makes sense. I tend to think of Japanese Kiryu as being mostly soft spoken and only asserts his voice when called for...English Kiryu just doesn't sound right at all.

Last edited:
Report: Judgment Series Is Ending Over PC Version Disagreement

Oof. I mean it sounds weird but its also not unrealistic with Japans ultra strict
idol, actor, singer agency regulations.
So maybe Sega didnt do the Stadia deal because Stadia gave them an awesome deal,
maybe the agency of Kimura only agreed to console and streaming
and then they said they will decide about the PC platform later.

And then with Lost Judgment, maybe Sega was planning
to release part 1 and 2 in a very short time frame on PC
but with the part 2 announcement and reveal event,
the agency finally decided that they are not interested in a PC version at all.
Thats why there were Win 10 and Steam logos on the website first
but they deleted them later.
Thats just speculation of course.

Yeah, from what I've heard, Japanese Talent Agency's are cut throat as all hell.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if there is truth to that. From everything I've ever heard, they're control freak bastards to deal with.

So if this whole thing is true and Kimuras agency has no interest in resolving the conflict,
it probably means that both Judgment games will never come to the Win or Steam store
and we wont see Kimura in any other RGG game ever again.
Also it would mean that it had nothing to do with Stadia money hatting.

It really seems like a big oversight on SEGA's part, you don't want your actors appearing on PC ? Well fuck off.
What kind of contract did they sign that this came up as a surprise ?

Well Judgment was already in development when they worked on Yakuza Kiwami 2,
so who knows for how long they were already in discussions with Kimuras agency for the role
and back then the series was still PS only.
Yakuza 0 wasnt even available on Steam while they were working on Kiwami 2 for PS.
So its possible that they didnt agree to any PC release back then
because even the Kiryu storyline didnt even start on Steam yet.

Now Sega wants all of these games on Steam but Kimuras agency is like
wait a minute, thats not what we agreed on 3 or 4 years ago.

Just change the model and hire a new VA, no one in the west cares.
I'm not a lawyer or expert or anything
but werent the two guys RGG Studio replaced in trouble
because of real life police investigations?

So my guess would be that this is a different scenario
because it probably created a conflict with their contracts for the product
and then it was in Sega's / RGG Studios right to completely erase and replace them.

But Takuya Kimura didnt do anything wrong. He did the work he was booked for
and the product is already finished. So i dont know if they can simply replace him in this scenario.
There was no breach of contract.

What if they adjusted the model in patches and future games after Greg Chun? He's English dub Yagami and amongst the best voice actors in the industry, therefor somewhat fitting as a real life actor and fairly well known

Better yet, model after Nagoshi himself :D . Kiryu already so heavily inspired backstory plus yakuza dramatics; make Yagami another fantastical alternative Nagoshi heavily inspired by his stylish personality plus lawyer dramatics

I dont know if its a good idea to make a guy from the west the main protagonist in a RGG studio game.
Greg Chun is american. If you look at the statistics for Judgment,
the different shares between regions, almost 50% of all Judgment players on PS4 until November 2020
(JAP release Dec 2018, WW release April 2019)
came from Japan. 14% of all Judgment PS4 players until November 2020 came from the US.
And theres probably a really really big portion of japanese players
who only bought it because of Takuya Kimura.

I haven't really followed the flow of this topic's conversation, but I heard that Judgement 2 will be the last game in this spin off series. Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I dont know if its a good idea to make a guy from the west the main protagonist in a RGG studio game.
Greg Chun is american. If you look at the statistics for Judgment,
the different shares between regions, almost 50% of all Judgment players on PS4 until November 2020
(JAP release Dec 2018, WW release April 2019)
came from Japan. 14% of all Judgment PS4 players until November 2020 came from the US.
And theres probably a really really big portion of japanese players
who only bought it because of Takuya Kimura.
Regardless, as silly as may seem (and sort of Kojima level of ego) i think making Nagoshi the model inspiration--to your point--a much better idea

I'm already seeing people elsewhere try to pin this on Nagoshi and turn it into another anti-Nagoshi circlejerk. Never mind the fact literally nothing is even confirmed or final atm. And of course they're bringing up past grievances too, like "chigyuu" and the general idea that he hates nintendo (which he doesn't, but he should!). N*ntendo fanboys are absolutely obsessed with trying to take him down, I swear.

Regardless, as silly as may seem (and sort of Kojima level of ego) i think making Nagoshi the model inspiration even an beter idea--to your point.
To his credit, he's been preparing for the role for like a decade and a half now. I think he just wants someone to ask...

Ridiculous... Super Monkey Ball was taken there after Dreamcast ended (pretty sure was somewhat far along development on DC?) and made the absolute classic F-Zero GX. Apparently even Miyamoto was shocked at what Nagoshi was able to squeeze from the specs.

Wii U got HD remasters of 1&2, but Nintendo fans were the ones who never supported enough to warrant localization or more ports.

Back