General RGG Discussion

I just started my second go of Yakuza 7, this time with the English track. Hopefully, it’ll make those awful semi-cutscenes a bit more tolerable to sit through.

Started up Yakuza 5 again too. My first complete run through it didn’t leave the best impression on me, so here’s hoping it’s better this time.

Controversy? What are they complaining about that's controversial?

I mean, the series had bouts of it years ago, but since 2015 or so, everything's been pretty tame:
people were outraged over Haruka being preggers
but that was down more to fans being unhappy with the direction of the character (which is beyond stupid) and not to do with any moral/ethical issues.

Like with everything in the current world, people look for things to complain about.

people were outraged over Haruka being preggers
Oh yeah! I remember that! Although I felt that was more reversed. That was a case of Japanese gamers hating that narrative choice while Westerners like myself were kind of non fussed towards it.

See! Different Cultures = Different Standards! :D

Indeed! That was such a fresh perspective/situation for the series to go to, it hit a major, "issue," that the world has been talking about for decades now and had a tasteful narrative surrounding it.

I'm still (pun intended) salty about SaltyYen's bashing of 6:

"6 is a bad game because..
Haruka getting pregnant
is just stupid haha, so it makes the rest of the game stupid."

Takes like that bug the shit out of me, especially when you have an audience that laps up everything that comes out of your mouth.

But anyways, I wanted to touch on what you said on the last page, Dan, about Kiryu being your preferred protagonist over Ichiban; I agree.

I don't dislike Ichiban in the slightest and I think he's great for the series going forward (for now), but Kiryu is on a Xiuying-level of awesome character; he is just so well-conceptualized and superbly-handled/portrayed, he has always been my pick for the best character ever created by Sega, after Xiuying.

Physicality aside (because anyone would be dead or severely-maimed with the multitude of injuries he's had throughout the series), everything about the guy is realistic and very human; someone who could exist in real life and not be a character.

I've also never been a fan of Nakaya or any character's he's voiced, so that helps Kiryu lol (though his work as Ichiban is his best by far).

Yeeessss but I'm getting kinda mad because in the gamepass app it doesnt appear in the "Coming soon" games, so I'm starting to think "maybe... maybe it's gamepass console...? but wait i read news about gamepass pc... But actually nobody gives a shit about Microsoft so maybe press doesnt know there are two different gamepass... HOLY SHIT" so I'm just playing some Forza Motorsport (finished Hades today) till January 28th and just will wait if it appears or not :LOL::eek:

Yeeessss but I'm getting kinda mad because in the gamepass app it doesnt appear in the "Coming soon" games, so I'm starting to think "maybe... maybe it's gamepass console...? but wait i read news about gamepass pc... But actually nobody gives a shit about Microsoft so maybe press doesnt know there are two different gamepass... HOLY SHIT" so I'm just playing some Forza Motorsport (finished Hades today) till January 28th and just will wait if it appears or not :LOL::eek:
January 27th, still no news of Yakuza Collection on pc gamepass

:crying::crying::crying:

Not going to lie, really struggling with Yakuza 5 now, which is a shame as I adored Chapter 1.
But with Saejima, the prison section felt TOO similar to Y4 & the back and forth fetch quests didn't help. I liked the story but the pacing was too slow.

I'm in the mountains now and once gain the pacing is horrendous... I like the concept and the hunting mechanics but the pacing just makes it a real slog. I wish I could just go out to the mountains already and engage with the mechanics but something always gets in the way. I've no opened up some training battles which are fun at least.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, really struggling with Yakuza 5 now, which is a shame as I adored Chapter 1.
But with Saejima, the prison section felt TOO similar to Y4 & the back and forth fetch quests didn't help. I liked the story but the pacing was too slow.

I'm in the mountains now and once gain the pacing is horrendous... I like the concept and the hunting mechanics but the pacing just makes it a real slog. I wish I could just go out to the mountains already and engage with the mechanics but something always gets in the way. I've no opened up some training battles which are fun at least.
Welcome to my problem with Yakuza 5 (of many)...I hated that chapter.

My problem with Yakuza 5 was simply how stop/start it felt. Anytime it would pick up pace with the story, it would halt, switch character and get tedious all over again. I really liked Kiryu's chapters. I liked Akiyama and Haruka's chapters. But the game was just SO stop/start with the pacing and I remember not really enjoying Yakuza 5 because of it. Might be my least favourite of the series. Which is a shame because the side stuff is really good in that game. I just never warmed up to the pacing of the story. Anytime it started to invest me, it would just go cold by switching characters and having to sit through their beginnings waiting for the game to build momentum again.

I can't believe I'm actually gonna buy Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 again on Steam when they come available. But I do love Y3 and quite like Y4 enough to do it.

I'm not gonna say Dan is wrong/a liar below, but for me, that pacing never bothered me; it's all worth it in the end, as well :D

But yeah, keep at it; once you leave the village and go into Tsukimino (Sapporo), there's a lot of fun to be had there :)

Actually really liked chapter 2 of Yakuza 5 (but I'm a sucker for escapes). The next two after were what halted me and took a year or so to finally play again and finish.

I'm not gonna say Dan is wrong/a liar below, but for me, that pacing never bothered me; it's all worth it in the end, as well :D

But yeah, keep at it; once you leave the village and go into Tsukimino (Sapporo), there's a lot of fun to be had there :)
The thing about it is it feels like they were aiming for players to play it in chunks.

What I mean is it has a very TV Drama feel to it in the sense that every chapter feels more like its own mini ark in the bigger story. A very "last time on Yakuza" feel to that game. Speaking as someone who was basically just powering through the story the first time I played it, I think that's what I found jarring about it. Truth is I actually didn't indulge in much of the side stuff back when I first played any of these games.

I'd usually just power through the main story and move on. It wasn't really until Yakuza 0 that I began to take my time with it and explore the side stuff and realized how much I missed. And then after that I found myself trying to do as much as I could in all of them with each subsequent replay.

Going back and replaying through Yakuza 5 the year of Yakuza 6's Western Release...I indulged way more in the side stuff but I still feel torn about it. I like the amount of content there is in that game...but the pacing still bugs me. I think much I prefer the straight laced pacing of the non-multiple protagonist games. But that's just me.

Like I've said before, one of the reasons I really liked Yakuza 6 was simply because they dialed back and kept it focused on Kiryu. I was never as fond of the multiple protagonist games as I was with the games that focused solely on Kiryu.

I don't hate Y5 but it's the one I have the least will to go back and replay whenever I get that urge to go back and replay any of them just because I know it's gonna be a slog when it comes to the story.

I feel really torn on that game because there are things I really like about it, but the pacing just makes it my least favorite to go back to.

Reading about you having little desire to go back to it, made me realize that I've beaten 5, 4 times now lol.

I 100% agree on the multiple characters angle; I'm not a fan of 4 (because of Tanimura, basically) and 0/Kiwami having 3 fight styles for each character didn't sit well with me (also didn't help that for each guy, there was truly 1 more-efficient and useful fighting style than the other 3, thus I never used the other 3), thus I'm in your boat that I like just using the one style, with one character.

5 is an outlier for me though; the writing is fantastic and the Shinada is just much more lovable and a more-effective character, than Tanimura was (and arguably, he had the least-important role of the 5 protagonists), not to mention the fight styles were further refined and the 5+ locations was done so well.

What I mean is it has a very TV Drama feel to it in the sense that every chapter feels more like its own mini ark in the bigger story. A very "last time on Yakuza" feel to that game

Bingo, that's exactly it! As soon as I read that, I agreed with you instantly and that's probably why I enjoy 5's plot.

Back