General RGG Discussion

Not even two damn hours in and the game is already trying to make me cry. Kiryu is such a good boy :sob: :sob: :sob:

20210128170525_1.jpg

Anyways right off the bat I'm already liking this about a million times more than Kiwami 2. The story so far is way more interesting, I love love LOVE the beach setting, and the combat feels so damn punchy. I definitely like it more than Kiwami 2's combat (which was still good imo, just not as good), and I'm probably just being retarded here but... I think it feels even more responsive than 0/Kiwami 1? Idk, maybe it's just been too long since I played either of those, but I can't wait to beat some more baddies up.

Alright played a couple of minutes Y3

Damn graphics really are ps3-ish, I thought it'd be more like Y0 :LOL:
They definitely are, I had to laugh at some of the crazy eyes a couple of the character models get.

20210128162031_1.jpg
20210128164853_1.jpg

The environments hold up super well though, I wasn't expecting that. Textures all around are just really nice. It also helps that the game has so many grafx customization options under "Advanced". Turned off FXAA, SSAO, increased that sharpness setting, turned shadows to lowest (just me being autistic thinking it looks better this way for some reason), and cranked the brightness. Sharp enough to cut your dang eyeballs on, just the way I like it.

Not even two damn hours in and the game is already trying to make me cry. Kiryu is such a good boy :sob: :sob: :sob:

View attachment 10297

Anyways right off the bat I'm already liking this about a million times more than Kiwami 2. The story so far is way more interesting, I love love LOVE the beach setting, and the combat feels so damn punchy. I definitely like it more than Kiwami 2's combat (which was still good imo, just not as good), and I'm probably just being retarded here but... I think it feels even more responsive than 0/Kiwami 1? Idk, maybe it's just been too long since I played either of those, but I can't wait to beat some more baddies up.

They definitely are, I had to laugh at some of the crazy eyes a couple of the character models get.

The environments hold up super well though, I wasn't expecting that. Textures all around are just really nice. It also helps that the game has so many grafx customization options under "Advanced". Turned off FXAA, SSAO, increased that sharpness setting, turned shadows to lowest (just me being autistic thinking it looks better this way for some reason), and cranked the brightness. Sharp enough to cut your dang eyeballs on, just the way I like it.

They didnt eat the dinner

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

View attachment 10297

View attachment 10298
View attachment 10299

Yeah, Yakuza 3 had some odd character designs. Somewhere between PS2 and PS3 is how I describe that game in general. Which makes sense. Along with Kenzan, it was the transitional title going from PS2 to PS3 and they were still finding their feet with the new hardware. But the games definitely got better looking between 4, 5 and 0 (0 did come out on PS3 in Japan and was probably the best looking of the PS3 games.)

But I fucking love it none the less. Still one of my favourites of the series. Spending time in Okinawa and the orphanage with those kids is just so damn charming.

At least he'll still be involved with the series... looks like he wants to sit back a bit, as he gets older...

View attachment 10297

View attachment 10298
View attachment 10299

lol I know what you mean! Still, I feel the graphics (on the whole), are actually better than 4, but my eyes may be playing tricks on me.

Having been to Kokusai-dori street in Okinawa, it actually is super accurate and the chill vibe of the game is indeed how Naha is, it's just awesome.

God, some of these opportunistic ninty fans piss me off so much.

View attachment 10302

Funny that there are always some random people who are the best when it comes to the 'perfect' game PR campaign
and business decisions. 'Yakuza and Sakura Wars would have sold billions of copies
if they were available on the Switch day one'. Exactly like 'Shenmue 3 would have sold billions
if it would have been available on Steam day one'. 'Wtf, this guy said something bad
about the most successful platform in this universe?!?!?!'
Everybody know this is how life works, white and black, good or bad, nothing else.
Coincidentally these type of comments are always from people who only want to play on / or support these specific platforms but of course that has noooooothing to do with it.
Oh Nagoshi you evil evil person.

God, some of these opportunistic ninty fans piss me off so much.

View attachment 10302
I mean, I wouldn't be against Switch ports....but the last time they tried to port to the Wii U, those games flopped...gee, I wonder why they may be hesitant to go to the Switch?

I mean, I actually gladly would take the Remastered ports on Switch...having those games on the go would be awesome, much like having Shenmue 1 and 2 on the Switch would be awesome for on the go...but yeah, I don't think SEGA has much interest in trying Nintendo again for this franchise.

Anyways, I tried my hand at Tiermaker tonight.

my-image.png

That's pretty much how I would rank all of said games and I stick by it.

Last edited:
Excellent, Dan... I now may do one meself ;)

EDIT* And I have lol

1612017756328.png

The template was, "games developed by RGG Studios," hence why Binary Domain is there (I would've put it higher, as I deem it to be around Kiwami 2/Ashura Hen level, but since it is isn't a game from the series, I have just lumped it in the tier I feel it is, at the end).

The order of titles is how I rank each game as well.

Last edited:

EDIT* And I have lol

View attachment 10331

The template was, "games developed by RGG Studios," hence why Binary Domain is there (I would've put it higher, as I deem it to be around Kiwami 2/Ashura Hen level, but since it is isn't a game from the series, I have just lumped it in the tier I feel it is, at the end).

I should have searched Ryu Ga Gotoku instead :D

EDIT: Fixed

my-image(3).png

I put the original two games at D-tier not because they aren't good, but simply because the PS2 games have been outdone by the Kiwami remakes and the HD remasters. It's a novelty to go back to those games, but I really wouldn't suggest them to newcomers now that we have Kiwami 1 and 2. Dead Souls I never really warmed up to. Neat experiment but never warmed up to it.

1&2 HD got C-tier. They're a step up from the PS2 games but still outclassed by Kiwami 1 & 2. Fist of the Northstar I was kind of non plussed by, but that's because I'm not much of a Fist of the North Star fan. And as for Kenzan? Well Ishin surpassed it.

B-Tier -- I liked Judgement but I couldn't put it past B-tier. I wish it did more with the detective stuff to help seperate it from just being Yakuza but reskinned. Good game, but I still kind of wish it was something different and not just another one of these games, no matter how good it is. Kiwami 1 & 2 are fun remakes. Yakuza 4 is pretty good for what it is. Yakuza 5 -- pacing issues aside, I do quite like the side content in that game so it helps save it from C-tier. And the two PSP games? I quite like that Aki engine and I really like the story in both of those games. It was probably the last great Aki fighting/wrestling/MMA games before they moved onto other stuff. But they couldn't cross into A-tier.

A-tier -- Yakuza 0 is awesome through and through. Yakuza 7 was a nice fresh of breath air with the turn based RPG mechanics. And Ishin is the best of the Samurai games.

S-tier -- I fucking love Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 6. End of story. It's the small town vibes of both games that speak to me the most. Be it Yakuza 3's Okinawa or Yakuza 6's Hiroshima. Something about small town settings really jives with me. Probably why I love games like Shenmue (Yokosuka) and Persona 4 (Inaba) as well.

Last edited:
Story of Y3 it's getting so cooooool. Jeeeez, the meeting of the tojo patriarchs were so gooood. I'm loving it. I love the story, gameplay is kinda clunky tho, seems more like ps2.

NOOOO KASHIWAGI SAN

YOU FUCKING BASTARDS

Last edited:

EDIT* And I have lol

View attachment 10331

I'm glad to see the newcomers/memesters weren't able to ruin 0 for you. tbqh tho... I'm a little triggered by Kiwami 2 being higher than Kiwami 1??

Story of Y3 it's getting so cooooool. Jeeeez, the meeting of the tojo patriarchs were so gooood. I'm loving it. I love the story, gameplay is kinda clunky tho, seems more like ps2.

NOOOO KASHIWAGI SAN

YOU FUCKING BASTARDS
I've seen a lot of people say they don't like the combat feel in 3. Not that that opinion is WRONG, but as a space alien than enjoyed the Balan Wonderworld demo, I wonder why that is. I personally really like how snappy and precise it feels. Is it just that the animations look less advanced? Or does it actually feel "off" to you as well? The only gameplay aspect I don't like as much so far is the karaoke.

But yeah, you're coming up to what are imo some of the coolest fight segments I've seen in the series yet. Dunno if either of these really constitute a spoiler, but just in case, one of them takes place in a
love hotel
and the other in front of
the diet

EDIT: also how the FUCK is Ayako so god damn fast she's like 12 years old

20210130224100_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see the newcomers/memesters weren't able to ruin 0 for you. tbqh tho... I'm a little triggered by Kiwami 2 being higher than Kiwami 1??

I've seen a lot of people say they don't like the combat feel in 3. Not that that opinion is WRONG, but as a space alien than enjoyed the Balan Wonderworld demo, I wonder why that is. I personally really like how snappy and precise it feels. Is it just that the animations look less advanced? Or does it actually feel "off" to you as well? The only gameplay aspect I don't like as much so far is the karaoke.

But yeah, you're coming up to what are imo some of the coolest fight segments I've seen in the series yet. Dunno if either of these really constitute a spoiler, but just in case, one of them takes place in a
love hotel
and the other in front of
the diet

EDIT: also how the FUCK is Ayako so god damn fast she's like 12 years old

View attachment 10343
Combat system in comparisson to 0, K1 and K2 to me seems like "not polish". I mean, it's alright, it's a game from more than 10 years, with a new console, etc, not judging them, but yeah, you may say animations basically. Not a big deal imo, I'm here more for story, world and characters, gameplay it's more an "add" than anything for me in the series.

Oh and btw, what you told to the other user, ruin 0? What? Is it posible to ruin 0? It's great! Imo it's my favourite.
It's:
Y3 (at least now, playing chapter 6)
K1
K2

But basically my rank it's for story.

I cannot explain why but the prison breakouts in Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 and 5 with Saejima are my favorite parts of those respective games. Even if it turns out that Saejima has never murdered a soul.

Funny that there are always some random people who are the best when it comes to the 'perfect' game PR campaign
and business decisions. 'Yakuza and Sakura Wars would have sold billions of copies
if they were available on the Switch day one'. Exactly like 'Shenmue 3 would have sold billions
if it would have been available on Steam day one'. 'Wtf, this guy said something bad
about the most successful platform in this universe?!?!?!'
Everybody know this is how life works, white and black, good or bad, nothing else.
Coincidentally these type of comments are always from people who only want to play on / or support these specific platforms but of course that has noooooothing to do with it.
Oh Nagoshi you evil evil person.
Didn't Nagoshi(Or someone on the dev team) say that Switch can't handle the Dragon Engine as the reason for the no to people asking for a port?

As for sakura wars...It smells like an exclusivity deal with Sony. Or they're waiting to make a decent size profit first before milking another platform.

Didn't Nagoshi(Or someone on the dev team) say that Switch can't handle the Dragon Engine as the reason for the no to people asking for a port?

As for sakura wars...It smells like an exclusivity deal with Sony. Or they're waiting to make a decent size profit first before milking another platform.
I'm still of the opinion that if you can get Doom Eternal running on a Switch then you can certainly get Dragon Engine

....at maybe 15 frames per second...on second thought...no thanks.

Seriously, you probably could get it to work with massive sacrifices.

The older engines would surely work fine though on Switch. I just don't think they have any interest. But the port beggars are entertaining none the less.

Last edited:
Well, I bought Y7 on launch day, started playing late December, now I am on Chapter 14 and it's worth it. As I have said several times I hate JRGPs turn based core gameplay, but since all the other elements of the game are su fucking great I am even liking the turns mechanics. I still hate those random Slimes (at the end of the day is a Like a Dragon Quest game -pun intended) when you have to fight random low level minions on the streets.

So far I think that system allows to tell a good multicharacter story without fucking up gameplay as 4 did for me. About Ichiban, so far I like it, and it is refreshing to see a real diferent approach to a Yakuza story, but he is not Kiryu. Great character, but not legend yet. Still much more interesting than that twat detective from Jugdment.

Anyways. I am eving thinkig about going for the Platinum trophy, and this is something I never thought I'll say about an JRPG

I pre-ordered 0 on PS3 in 2015 and it was the only Play-Asia Pre-Order I've gotten, that I got like 2 days after release date (I think I opted for the faster shipping, that time; I had gotten a new job that paid me more than double what I made at my part-time job, so I figured that plus living at home = more disposable funds), so I was one of the very first in the West to play it. Beat it to... 63% completion that first time (in Japanese) then replayed it on PS4 in 2017, to... 85% completion? Can't remember. Anyways, I've gone through the game a lot more than the majority of the newcomers/memesters did and that's probably why it bothers me so.

lol trust me, my hate of 2 is well-defined at this point (and by extension, Kiwami 2), but 2 (and by extension, Kiwami 2, lol) has always been a superb game, story aside. The story is just so horribly-written and off the rails, that it drags down the good points of the game.

But I will never go back to 2 or Kiwami 2, unless I'm forced, whereas I'll replay Kiwami or even 1, any day of the week.

Well, I bought Y7 on launch day, started playing late December, now I am on Chapter 14 and it's worth it. As I have said several times I hate JRGPs turn based core gameplay, but since all the other elements of the game are su fucking great I am even liking the turns mechanics. I still hate those random Slimes (at the end of the day is a Like a Dragon Quest game -pun intended) when you have to fight random low level minions on the streets.

So far I think that system allows to tell a good multicharacter story without fucking up gameplay as 4 did for me. About Ichiban, so far I like it, and it is refreshing to see a real diferent approach to a Yakuza story, but he is not Kiryu. Great character, but not legend yet. Still much more interesting than that twat detective from Jugdment.

Anyways. I am eving thinkig about going for the Platinum trophy, and this is something I never thought I'll say about an JRPG
Go for it! The platinum isn't difficult like past titles, it just takes a long time to get.

You can do it!

Apparently Judgment getting a next gen release on April 23. Only gave a brief glance--are they a free download or is it going to be paid upgrade/full price game...?

Back