General RGG Discussion

I hear you, dude. With some exceptions, I favour gameplay over story, and Kiwami 2 had my favourite gameplay of the series thus far. The story was certainly pretty forgettable for the most part.
Yeah I know what you mean and me too, but this series it's kinda the same gameplay (of course, improoves with the time, so technically gameplay of 0 and KW should be better than 3 and 4 ((I'm talking about the new releases, not ps2 ones)) )

I really enjoyed KW2 and graphically was amazing (I suppose it's the best with Like a Dragon, because the release time and engine used).

If you push me a bit, maybe I change position and put K1 and K2 above 3. But I dont want to think too much about it :LOL:

Y2/KW2 is my favourite because of the OTT battles and boss gauntlets.

I played Yakuza 3 since it was released overseas in 2010. I didn't really have any particular issues with the gameplay nor the story; my experiences with Yakuza 3 have been positive.

Platting the game was a bit of a bitch, but it isn't as bad as platting the original JP version. (They removed all Asian-centric minigames bar the dice games.)

Anyway, thanks for the advice on Mahjong, guys. The only remaining minigame challenge I need to finish now is Haruka's 950 karaoke request.

EDIT: I reached 940. Oh, my lord, this karaoke shit is brutal.

Last edited:
Hey everyone !

It's been a while since I played Yakuza. I want to give it another shot. TBH, the only one I played was Yakuza 3. I liked it, but didn't give me the Shenmue vibe I was expecting. Back then, everyone was selling it to me as a "it's the new Shenmue !", which for me wasn't the case.

Now that I know it isn't, I want to jump back into it. But where should I start, with 0 or Kiwami ? I've seen alot of people telling me to start with 0...
I imported it when it came out at the end of 2005 (at the time, we didn't know if it was going to come out internationally). I'll admit, I was initially disappointed when I played it because I was expecting Shenmue (and I hated the load times of the fighting engine and it was HORRIBLE!) Then, I played the sequel and I eventually found to appreciate Yakuza for what it is.

Alright I started Y5, played like 1:30 hours

JESUS CHRIST BOYS THAT WAS ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY AMAZING

I enjoyed every second of it

1) Kiryu with his boss
2) THERE'S A WOMAN IN KIRYU'S APARTMENT *SCREAMS LIKE A FANGIRL* OMG -THO KIRYU'S STILL BEING KIRYU I DONT CARE I LOVED IT-
I dream with the time I see this:
Untitled.png
3) The taxi gameplay. Loved it. I want more. I want a Yakuza taxi game. Now
4) The atmosphere of the new town. I was a bit tired of Kamurocho, this one feels new, fresh, like a new start, small, comfy, not like that bullshit Okinawa with just a beach!
5) Oh yeah Daigo is missing... Yea well... FUCK OFF I DONT CARE. LETS GET SOME PASSANGERS AND DO SOME ERRANDS BOYS!

I can't be more excited, i'm finally seeing a serious contender to Y0. Would it be better? Would it be TOP 1? STAY TOONED BOYS THIS IS JUST STARTING.

I imported it when it came out at the end of 2005 (at the time, we didn't know if it was going to come out internationally). I'll admit, I was initially disappointed when I played it because I was expecting Shenmue (and I hated the load times of the fighting engine and it was HORRIBLE!) Then, I played the sequel and I eventually found to appreciate Yakuza for what it is.
Man, SAME HERE. I only stuck with the series after Y1 because I hoped it would improve. The strange English dub and horrible fighting engine made it really hard to get through, but I saw so much potential for improvement. I think that initial introduction to the series is why I still don’t like the original or Kiwami, and why I hold both Y2 and Kiwami 2 in such high regard (despite realizing years later that the storytelling was terrible).

I just started 0!

Man, SAME HERE. I only stuck with the series after Y1 because I hoped it would improve. The strange English dub and horrible fighting engine made it really hard to get through, but I saw so much potential for improvement. I think that initial introduction to the series is why I still don’t like the original or Kiwami, and why I hold both Y2 and Kiwami 2 in such high regard (despite realizing years later that the storytelling was terrible).
When I finished the first game, I wasn't sure if there was going to be a sequel, but I'll admit I thought it had more potential. Then when the sequel was announced, I thought I'd give it a chance. I know the story is a little too "Shounen," but I loved Ryuji as a villain. I tried playing my brother's copy of the dub when he got it, but couldn't force myself through it.

I just started 0!
A lot of people now are these days, and that's a good thing.

Ever played Crazy Taxi?

In the end, comparing to Shenmue is understandable to a considerable degree and for good reasons despite being fundamentally different games in the end. They both take place in Japan, and they're from Sega. I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but this is a special case since these particular apples and oranges come from the same farm.

Last edited:
Alright I started Y5, played like 1:30 hours

JESUS CHRIST BOYS THAT WAS ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY AMAZING

I enjoyed every second of it

1) Kiryu with his boss
2) THERE'S A WOMAN IN KIRYU'S APARTMENT *SCREAMS LIKE A FANGIRL* OMG -THO KIRYU'S STILL BEING KIRYU I DONT CARE I LOVED IT-
I dream with the time I see this:
View attachment 10640
4) The atmosphere of the new town. I was a bit tired of Kamurocho, this one feels new, fresh, like a new start, small, comfy, not like that bullshit Okinawa with just a beach!
5) Oh yeah Daigo is missing... Yea well... FUCK OFF I DONT CARE. LETS GET SOME PASSANGERS AND DO SOME ERRANDS BOYS!

I can't be more excited, i'm finally seeing a serious contender to Y0. Would it be better? Would it be TOP 1? STAY TOONED BOYS THIS IS JUST STARTING.

It is. Blatantly, at that.

It's good to see a game where Majima isn't shoved in your face for half of it and there is a ton of variation in gameplay and interesting things to see/do, trust me, you'll have a blast.

Plot is fantastic as well.

When I finished the first game, I wasn't sure if there was going to be a sequel, but I'll admit I thought it had more potential. Then when the sequel was announced, I thought I'd give it a chance. I know the story is a little too "Shounen," but I loved Ryuji as a villain. I tried playing my brother's copy of the dub when he got it, but couldn't force myself through it.

A lot of people now are these days, and that's a good thing.

Ever played Crazy Taxi?

In the end, comparing to Shenmue is understandable to a considerable degree and for good reasons despite being fundamentally different games in the end. They both take place in Japan, and they're from Sega. I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but this is a special case since these particular apples and oranges come from the same farm.
Lol but it's kinda arcade, here you have to take precautions and so on. I loved that, it's more immersive.

I'm stucked in the main mission bc I'm just dating Riku chan

Riku chan marry me plz

Not a psycho at all.

Promised.

Oh, dont worry, she will marry you.
You only have to buy her a real diamond ring, a 200.000 USD car, a 50.000 USD dress
and you have to buy drinks worth 5000 USD every day at her work place.
Then she will marry you in about three years.

It worked for me too. It was such a great time. I'm always looking back at it with a smile
and then i use the newspapers from this week as a blanket in my cardboard box
in which i live now because we got divorced.

Not a personal fan of Yakuza; but I recently saw some footage of Yakuza Ishin and it sparkled my interest; don't now why sega dosen't release it outside japan given the fact that Ghost of Tsushima was a major hit for sony; I think they are really missing out on this opportunity.

Not a personal fan of Yakuza; but I recently saw some footage of Yakuza Ishin and it sparkled my interest; don't now why sega dosen't release it outside japan given the fact that Ghost of Tsushima was a major hit for sony; I think they are really missing out on this opportunity.

They didnt because by the time Kenzan and Ishin came out, (before Yakuza 0)
the Yakuza franchise was not very popular in the west. It was a series for hardcore Japan fans.
It took a lot of time to convince Sega to translate all of the main series games
and some of the spin off games they released in english, were even less popular.
So i guess they probably thought that a game like Kenzan or Ishin could only fail in the west
because the setting and story is even more niche.

You have to remember that this whole Japan hype - travel live streaming from Japan,
old Japan setting hype (Nioh, Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro), newer releases like Persona 5 or Yakuza 0,
is pretty new. Big Youtube channels like Abroad in Japan or The Anime Man are only 6-7 years old.
This whole worldwide Japan push happened in the last 5 years
but Kenzan and Ishin were not released in that time frame.

Segas new attempt started with Yakuza 6 and Yakuza 0
and then the translation team always had to work on the same game the japanese dev team was working on
because otherwise they couldnt keep up with them.
So they had to work on 6, 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3-5 Remaster, Judgment Fist of the North Star and Yakuza 7,
all of this in 5 years. There was simply no time to work on a english version of Kenzan or Ishin
and Sega could not foresee that there will be a feudal Japan setting hype.

They didnt because by the time Kenzan and Ishin came out, (before Yakuza 0)
the Yakuza franchise was not very popular in the west. It was a series for hardcore Japan fans.
It took a lot of time to convince Sega to translate all of the main series games
and some of the spin off games they released in english, were even less popular.
So i guess they probably thought that a game like Kenzan or Ishin could only fail in the west
because the setting and story is even more niche.

You have to remember that this whole Japan hype - travel live streaming from Japan,
old Japan setting hype (Nioh, Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro), newer releases like Persona 5 or Yakuza 0,
is pretty new. Big Youtube channels like Abroad in Japan or The Anime Man are only 6-7 years old.
This whole worldwide Japan push happened in the last 5 years
but Kenzan and Ishin were not released in that time frame.

Segas new attempt started with Yakuza 6 and Yakuza 0
and then the translation team always had to work on the same game the japanese dev team was working on
because otherwise they couldnt keep up with them.
So they had to work on 6, 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3-5 Remaster, Judgment Fist of the North Star and Yakuza 7,
all of this in 5 years. There was simply no time to work on a english version of Kenzan or Ishin
and Sega could not foresee that there will be a feudal Japan setting hype.
I see your point; nevertheless I think they could translate it and sell it in digital format. I think it won't cost that much to make it happen and they can make a decent profit out of it.

I see your point; nevertheless I think they could translate it and sell it in digital format. I think it won't cost that much to make it happen and they can make a decent profit out of it.
We only got some short 'official' comments for these games over the years.
1. The translation team said there was no time because of the main games.
2. The translation team wasnt sure how to translate it because the japanese dialogue / text etc
is written in a specific way to represent the way people talked in that time period
and it would be very difficult to keep that style for a english version.
3. The japanese devs are interested in bringing these game to the west
but Kenzan is even older than Yakuza 3 and Ishin is older than Yakuza 0,
so instead of remastering it, its more likely that they will make complete remakes.

I guess the chances for simple ports of the original games are pretty low now.

Back