General RGG Discussion

Just beat Like A Dragon. It's the best in the series in my book (although I haven't played Judgement yet). Making it a turn-based RPG was a stroke of genius, I'm glad they had the courage to shake up the formula, and the talent to pull it off. Can't wait to see where these characters go next.

OMG

MAJIMA NONISAN JUST APPEARED OH BOY
HOLY JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
THE MOMENT DOOOJIMA DRAGOOON APPEARED
MY JAW ALMOST FELLS IN TO THE GROUND

THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BOYS

I TOLD YOU THE ENDING OF Y6 WAS UNFAIR TO HIM, HE TOTALLY NEEDED THIS

HOLY JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
THE MOMENT DOOOJIMA DRAGOOON APPEARED
MY JAW ALMOST FELLS IN TO THE GROUND

THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BOYS

I TOLD YOU THE ENDING OF Y6 WAS UNFAIR TO HIM, HE TOTALLY NEEDED THIS
Wait what? Arakawa-san

ARAKAWA-SAN

ARAKAWA-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

FUCKING BASTARDS STOP DOING THAT

Just a thought, if Last Judgement is gunna be the final installment, why not shift the freed up resources to shenmue? I mean it's basically has similar game-play offerings. :whistle:
Why would Nagoshi or any of the producers from RGG Studio be interested in that?
They have their own department which has nothing to do with Shenmue,
the Shenmue IP doesnt belong to RGG Studio
and Yakuza 7 and Judgment were titled a world wide success by Sega
(we are even at a point now, were we have simultaneous world wide release dates, they worked on this for years)
so why would they put less resources into this universe instead of more?
RGG Studio is pumping out new games year after year,
thats not going to change even if Lost Judgment is the last game in the Yagami series.
There are no new free resources, RGG Studio will use them immediately for something else.

Shenmue has to get its own resources from someone who 100% believes in it.
Shenmue 4 with Sega is not going to happen just because they slowed down
RGG Studio projects.

Aaaaalright finished Y7

Some good thoughts
Loved the game, the city, the characters (Nanba kinda meh bc of what he did), the minigames, and so on. Loved it all. I loved the Majima, Saejima, Daigo, Kiryu and Date-san interventions.

Some unpopular opinions
Ooookay so... First of all:

- I'm sorry, I'm not buying the "we are finishing the Omi and Tojo clans". Really? I mean, REALLY? And you'd say "oh but they said Yakuza's way of life was finished" and I can understand it, and I can understand this has to be related with real life because there are a lot of antiyakuza laws right now, but I cant stand the attitude "oh yea we will do it, lets face it", like, really? Damn guys, that was fucking easy, specially when we are talking about a 80 years of crime, political and economical organization. And maybe, MAAAYBE I can take it from Daigo, but, the Omi guy? That guy was SO FUCKING AMBICIOUS in Y6, and he suddenly quits? Just like that? Idk man, maybe I got it wrong, maybe I missed something, but it was too easy. Yea yea they made a security bussiness, but still...

- Mirror's face (really?) and Nick worked like 2 Deus ex machina as fuck. I'm not saying this is the first time they do it, but it was pretty massive this time, and I could buy it from Nick but Mirror's face, come on, that's literaly unreal.

- At the end, this Ichiban mentality of "oh come on, I know you, young master, get back into the path of the righteous" was sooo soooo naive imo. Like, at the beg, alright, maybe I can buy it, but at the end, dude, come on, stop it, you won't change it with words, he killed his father and wanted to kill his "real father". Stop it, no, you dont know it, you just served him for a few times 20 years ago, people change, evolves, and so on. And even if he did it, he killed Arakawa. Dude, you went 18 years to jail just to cover HIM because his (actually your) father asked you to do it. COME FUCKING ON ICHI, wake up. Even Kiryu was realistic about how people are.

- The Hourinouchi stuff at the end with Adachi was SO OUT OF PLACE. It was like the writters said "OH SHIT DUDES, WE FORGOT ABOUT ADACHI'S STORY, WE HAVE TO DO SOME SCENES NOW FIXING THAT HOLE" and they just did that. That was very cheap, and actually, they didnt even develop the story. I mean, he was seeking revenge, and we didnt talk about it like, Idk, 50 hours, and suddenly you make a scene out of nowhere closing that story.

Idk man, I love this guys, I love the game, I love the series, but this time I wont buy that stuff. Hell, makes Kiwami's 1 and 2 stories a Master piece of narrative, even with the Michael Bay-ish stuff. When I was at the, Idk, 80% of the game, I'd say it's top 1 or top 2 (I honestly dont remember my tier anymore LOL, there are a lot of games and they are really long) but with the end, dropped a few places. Better than Y3, but absolutely no better than 0, 6, 5 and 4. Maybe I can say they are better than Kiwami's.

Like I said, dont kill me, I love this guys, I love the series, it was a great game, I just had a lot of problems with the story, specially at the end.

I didn’t care very much for the story either. I didn’t think it was ridiculous or poorly written, but it was just so long and all over the place that I didn’t care about what was happening and just wanted to be done with it. I thought the main bad guy was a little bitch, but I think that was the point. And strangely enough, I wasn’t annoyed by him.

I loved the characters though, and despite not liking the gameplay or the story, they’re enough reason for me to want to play the game again.

I'm pretty sure i will be super bad at the dancing game.
My brain hurts just from looking at the button prompts.

The new fighting stuff looks cool. This special counter or whatever you wanna call it,
looks like a attack that you would do in Nioh or Ghost of Tsushima.

View attachment 12375

Please don't tell me the whole game is going to have a Visual Novel overlay like this...

dialog2.png
dialog1.png

I think it will have the same style as Yakuza Like A Dragon.
Cutscene movies, ingame scenes with voices, ingames scenes without voices
and then these face close up visual novel scenes,
like when Ichiban talks to the other group members in restaurants.

View attachment 12375

Please don't tell me the whole game is going to have a Visual Novel overlay like this...

I don't think so...probably will be relegated to sub stories and shit. That composition looks to be the same style that they used in Yakuza Like a Dragon for table conversations and such at Restaurants...so probably a mix of presentation as per usual with these games.

Looking forward to it...especially the battle system. I liked Yagami's fighting style in the first game and I'm looking forward to seeing what more they do with it.

I wish the tailing missions would go away...was my least favourite thing about that first game and it sucks to see that they remain.

Anyways, what did I come here to post about? Oh yeah, Yakuza 7. Finally finished the English version. I plowed through it in the last week or so. Haven't Platinumed it yet...having trouble with the final two honk NPC's for that damn Honk trophy. Same problem I had with the Japanese version when I platinumed it, they are a pain in the ass and spawn so randomly.

How do I feel after playing it a second time? I'm not sure I've really warmed up to Ichiban. I don't know, I just don't like him as much as I liked Kiryu. It's not that he is a bad character, it's just he is a bit too...dorkish. Dorkish in a way that I don't really associate the Yakuza with. You know, the image of the Yakuza is tough stoic manly men and well, I look at Ichiban and I just see a man-child dork. Loveable in his own right, but almost feels like out of place at times. I don't know...it's not that I hate Ichiban, but I just don't feel I warmed up to him in the same way I warmed up to Kiryu.

Kiryu was a manly-man. He was tough and stoic but also had great principles and morals. I liked Kiryu and I think he was a huge driving factor as to what kept me going with this series. I've always said, even when they did the multiple protagonist games, Kiryu was the one guy I always wanted to get back to because his story was the heart of these games for me. Again, Ichiban is likable in his own right but something about him still didn't connect with me in the same way.

I know, I know, I've had 7 games of Kiryu...it's a bit unfair to compare, but I don't know....

As for the battle system? The grind did kind of annoy me this time around. I didn't necessarily mind it the first time around because it was all fresh and exciting to see a Yakuza game change up the formula but second time around? The grind got to be a bit too much...I was skipping animations left and right just because the novelty factor wore off....Definitely not a game I want to replay again, which is funny because I'm playing both Yakuza 3 and 6 again on PC and having a great time with both of them. But yeah, Yakuza 7 doesn't hold up in replay value for me. Just because its too long and way too grindy.

I liked the story still, but I don't know if I can be assed to ever play through it again. Maybe I'll grind out the platinum...maybe I won't.

Last edited:
Why would Nagoshi or any of the producers from RGG Studio be interested in that?
They have their own department which has nothing to do with Shenmue,
the Shenmue IP doesnt belong to RGG Studio
and Yakuza 7 and Judgment were titled a world wide success by Sega
(we are even at a point now, were we have simultaneous world wide release dates, they worked on this for years)
so why would they put less resources into this universe instead of more?
RGG Studio is pumping out new games year after year,
thats not going to change even if Lost Judgment is the last game in the Yagami series.
There are no new free resources, RGG Studio will use them immediately for something else.

Shenmue has to get its own resources from someone who 100% believes in it.
Shenmue 4 with Sega is not going to happen just because they slowed down
RGG Studio projects.
I used to think that too, till RGG started touching an AM2 flagship title ala VF and contributing to other flagship RPG's like Sakura wars 6. Now It doesn't feel to distant to imagine/ask if they can do something with Shenmue(another IP their dev's have history with).

Similar gameplay? Judgment is just a Yakuza reskin.
more like it's side offering, and somewhat, brawler mechanics fighting style using MA.

I don't think so...probably will be relegated to sub stories and shit. That composition looks to be the same style that they used in Yakuza Like a Dragon for table conversations and such at Restaurants...so probably a mix of presentation as per usual with these games.

Looking forward to it...especially the battle system. I liked Yagami's fighting style in the first game and I'm looking forward to seeing what more they do with it.

I wish the tailing missions would go away...was my least favourite thing about that first game and it sucks to see that they remain.

Anyways, what did I come here to post about? Oh yeah, Yakuza 7. Finally finished the English version. I plowed through it in the last week or so. Haven't Platinumed it yet...having trouble with the final two honk NPC's for that damn Honk trophy. Same problem I had with the Japanese version when I platinumed it, they are a pain in the ass and spawn so randomly.

How do I feel after playing it a second time? I'm not sure I've really warmed up to Ichiban. I don't know, I just don't like him as much as I liked Kiryu. It's not that he is a bad character, it's just he is a bit too...dorkish. Dorkish in a way that I don't really associate the Yakuza with. You know, the image of the Yakuza is tough stoic manly men and well, I look at Ichiban and I just see a man-child dork. Loveable in his own right, but almost feels like out of place at times. I don't know...it's not that I hate Ichiban, but I just don't feel I warmed up to him in the same way I warmed up to Kiryu.

Kiryu was a manly-man. He was tough and stoic but also had great principles and morals. I liked Kiryu and I think he was a huge driving factor as to what kept me going with this series. I've always said, even when they did the multiple protagonist games, Kiryu was the one guy I always wanted to get back to because his story was the heart of these games for me. Again, Ichiban is likable in his own right but something about him still didn't connect with me in the same way.

I know, I know, I've had 7 games of Kiryu...it's a bit unfair to compare, but I don't know....

As for the battle system? The grind did kind of annoy me this time around. I didn't necessarily mind it the first time around because it was all fresh and exciting to see a Yakuza game change up the formula but second time around? The grind got to be a bit too much...I was skipping animations left and right just because the novelty factor wore off....Definitely not a game I want to replay again, which is funny because I'm playing both Yakuza 3 and 6 again on PC and having a great time with both of them. But yeah, Yakuza 7 doesn't hold up in replay value for me. Just because its too long and way too grindy.

I liked the story still, but I don't know if I can be assed to ever play through it again. Maybe I'll grind out the platinum...maybe I won't.
My thoughts exactly, although I don’t mind Ichiban as much. I think overall, Y7 is a fun enough “diversion”, but if the series really does stick to this new formula, I just don’t know if I’d be able to hang with it. Even now, I just started my third go at it and I’m stuck right at the beginning. I don’t like skipping cutscenes, that’s just a thing of mine. But Y7 has so much bullshit in it that if I WERE to skip, I’d ask myself why the hell am I even playing this again. Especially considering that the turn-based combat is barely interactive to begin with. Yet, I don’t consider any this knocks against the game itself. It’s just one of those things I’m guessing comes with the genre. That being said, I never felt any of this with of the other Yakuza games before.

My thoughts exactly, although I don’t mind Ichiban as much. I think overall, Y7 is a fun enough “diversion”, but if the series really does stick to this new formula, I just don’t know if I’d be able to hang with it. Even now, I just started my third go at it and I’m stuck right at the beginning. I don’t like skipping cutscenes, that’s just a thing of mine. But Y7 has so much bullshit in it that if I WERE to skip, I’d ask myself why the hell am I even playing this again. Especially considering that the turn-based combat is barely interactive to begin with. Yet, I don’t consider any this knocks against the game itself. It’s just one of those things I’m guessing comes with the genre. That being said, I never felt any of this with of the other Yakuza games before.
The story telling is long in the tooth...personally I was skipping conversations in the bar building bonds because I just couldn't be assed to sit through them for a second time. I did skip one or two cut scenes as well...not something I usually do but I knew they were long and I was in the mood to get out and go to bed those nights so I did skip a few scenes on second play through.

I guess my issue is still just with the grind itself. Walk five steps down the road and you're probably gonna be finding yourself in battle with street thugs. In old Yakuza games it doesn't bother me because they are weak and you can mindlessly beat 'em up in no time and move on...whereas with Y7, the battles can be so slow at times and doing that over and over again on street levels gets to be very tiring. Especially when those random fights do not give you a whole lot of XP...you can't even use them to grind.

There were times where I was just using the taxis to get from place to place this time because I did not want to run and get into countless battles. Granted, I know you can get a talisman around Chapter 12 to bypass said fights from the Battle Arena but still, it did get very tiring very quickly this time around.

I hope they bring back the money throwing solution that Y0 had going forward. Just let me have the option to skip those battles entirely from the outset...or at least make them worthwhile or less frequent.

Other than that, it really was just the grind for me this time. Like the chapter where you go to Osaka and fight Majima, you spend more time grinding the battle arena in Osaka than anything else...and by that point you have to because Majima and Saejima are at like level 50 or something and you're hovering around the 30s or so. So you kind of need to grind and that's exactly why they put that Battle Arena there, otherwise Osaka is completely empty and almost lifeless...and it just got tiring to me this time around. The grind was not fun to me on second playthrough.

Back