General RGG Discussion

Cool, just made my PS4 preorder last week!

The first Judgment did not ever have a steelbook, correct?
I think only Yakuza Kiwami 1, Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Yakuza Like A Dragon
had steelbook editions (out of the newest releases, there were steelbooks for PS3 too)
Judgment doesnt have a steelbook edition. Judgment and Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise
have reversible cover art.

Yakuza 7 is bloody amazing WOW.

Might be my favorite Yakuza yet. The gameplay changes and new systems are really good.

Honestly, it feels like they copied everything to do with Persona 4 and 5 and put a yakuza spin on it, but i'm cool with that. Really enjoying it and Ichiban and his group are great characters.

Will update when i play more of it
Totally, I think its the best of the series in gameplay and new systems.

Still playing Judgment PS5 from time to time.
I think it could look even better with improved lighting and reflections, ambient occlusion,
(dynamic) shadows for more objects.
(some scenes can look a little plain / flat when the decoration objects on the streets dont have any shadows)
But who knows, maybe its simply too much for the engine at the moment.

It could create some really cool unique scenes in Lost Judgment
because of the new weather system?

Judgment_20210804020603.png
Judgment_20210804021250.png
Judgment_20210804013326.png
Judgment_20210804020345.png

Get some KJ Art and Get some Tenders?

You need to buy a painting and some fried chicken? ;)

Get some KJ Art and Get some Tenders?

You need to buy a painting and some fried chicken? ;)

Yeah this is the enjoy art and culture DLC.
Next stop is the firework show on the beach at Morning Glory Orphanage
and then theres supposed to be some kind of secret tour in Onomichi?

Here is the Lost Judgment video stream from today.
They showed the side activities that you can do at the school.

⚠️ Warning ⚠️
This is not a fast compilation video, they are showing a full session for each activity
with the full menues, settings, NPCs etc.
So dont watch it if you want a 100% fresh playthrough.

Gameplay starts around minute 15 and 54 seconds.

There will also be new Lost Judgment merchandise in the japanese Sega shop,
like a really big Yagami poster.

Last edited:
I would love for the combat system to go back to how it was in Yakuza 6 and prior in future installments. I didn't mind 7's combat but it felt too slow paced for me.

Was someone here able to actually beat all of the drone racing championships in Judgment?
I'm at championship 4 or 5 i think and the average speed of the drones
is super fast.
The problem isnt that i cant keep up with the other ones,
the problem is the indoor part ...
I dont know, its just so fast that i dont understand how i'm supposed
to fly through these staircase parts without taking damage and without getting stuck.

I feel like a grandpa whos trying to play Guitar Hero on the hardest difficulty.
And even with the 60 fps it doesnt work. There is like a online ping connection delay
between my eyes, my brain and my fingers.
Normally i dont have any problems with overall hard games like FromSoft games or Nioh etc
but i have zero confidence in my Judgment drone racing skills.

cry-crying.gif

IIRC, I just did all the races to get one of the trophies (which was the friend trophy, I think. After the final race that unlocked that trophy, I didn't touch it again lol); I loved doing the exploring bits and driving it around, but absolutely wasn't a fan of the racing at all.

It's not poorly-implemented or anything, I just couldn't understand Japanese and how to properly upgrade, then got tired with trying and it turned me off completely.

Like Pocket Racer in 0 and Kiwami; I stuck with it with Kiwami (took me FOREVER to win that final race), but my first 0 playthrough was in Japanese and I gave up immediately with that language barrier.

Hopefully when Lost Judgment comes out next month and does very well for Sega cooler heads will prevail and we'll get more stories from this franchise in the future.

I feel pretty good that I'm still on my media blackout for Lost Judgment. I really don't know much of anything about the story to it outside of the fact that it will involve a high school. But I kind of like going into it blind for a change.

I have to admit that I like the combat system here and primarily due to the fluidity of the martial arts Yagami uses. I swear Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios reminds me of this infamous quote from The Godfather.

Looks like I will pre-order this title too.

Does anyone know what the GB size of Lost Judgment will be? I'm thinking about downloading it so I can play it at midnight. I usually never buy digitally but I'm thinking about so I can play it at midnight

Does anyone know what the GB size of Lost Judgment will be? I'm thinking about downloading it so I can play it at midnight. I usually never buy digitally but I'm thinking about so I can play it at midnight
46 GB (on PS5) but without any Day One patch.

I just picked up the first Judgment for PS5. I've heard that it shares quite a few traits with Shenmue and thought I'd give it a try. I won't have time to play it until next month sometime but I got it on sale. It also seems like it's a spinoff of the Yakuza series (given this thread title) and I've never played any of those.

What's your guy's opinion on Judgment?

Too be honest i never thought that any of the Shenmue Yakuza comparisons are really accurate.
I get why there are comparisons over and over again
but i would never recommend Yakuza to Shenmue fans or Shenmue to Yakuza fans
just because they liked Shenmue or Yakuza. Maybe its the closest comparison you can find
because there arent many other games like Shenmue and Yakuza
but just because its the closest comparison, doesnt mean that its basically the same.
There is just nothing else to compare it to.

The whole setup is completely different.
Shenmue is a youth adventure mystery story about traveling, growing up, finding new friends,
experience new cultures through the eyes of Ryo
and the target audience is like 12 years and up.
(that doesnt mean that its a kids game, it just means that the series isnt about discovering dismembered corpses
or prostitution)
Yakuza universe games are straight up gangster thriller stories with adults and the target audience is 18 years and up.
(which means these games will go all in in terms of blood and adult themes
as long as it fits into the japanese age restriction system)

Maybe its just me but i feel like the mood of these two series arent similar at all.
None of the Yakuza characters are like Ryo. And the ... i dont know how to say it ...
'lighthearted' adventure world of Shenmue is not the same as Yakuza's Kamurocho for example.

I dont know, i feel like if you love Shenmue 1 & 2 and or 3
and then you are starting Judgment because you heard that its like Shenmue ...
thats not really a good starting point in terms of expectations.

Thats also why i think these typical Reddit, Gamefaq, Youtube comments
'... just play Yakuza instead' for example are stupid.
Same with 'Yakuza is the japanese GTA'. No it isnt. It doesnt make any sense.

Last edited:
Tosh hit it on the head; they aren't similar at all, really.

The graphics-style, setting and fight/gameplay mechanics, are indeed 1:1 like Yakuza, but that's where those comparisons end.

There are different objectives and as such, different things to do (more investigating and searching, using the drone, etc.), but you actually do detective-related things and not a scratching the surface, notebook recording like you do in 'mue (which is where people compare the two games; it isn't apt).

Yagami is an excellent character and the rest of the case is superb as well. Enjoy it and get ready for the sequel in a month and a bit ;)

To me, Ryu Ga Gotoku has always been a Japanese crime noir blended with over-the-top machismo. While Shenmue was always a martial arts coming-of-age epic. Honestly, I think most people only look at the surface-level qualities of both series and think they are similar for that reason.

Where I would disagree with @Tosh is that I would recommend both series to individuals. Each series has its unique attributes to distinguish itself from one another. It just depends on the taste of the individual player. Besides, there are plenty of players here who enjoy both franchises (me being among them). Liking one series does not preclude you from liking the other.

As for Judgment, think of it in the similar vein as the Ryu Ga Gotoku series but more of a procedural police/legal drama. As it plays similar to the main series mixed with investigative elements. If you enjoy the mainline series you will probably enjoy this series as well.

@Tsukuyomimagi99

Oh, dont get me wrong. I would still recommend both series
to people who are open minded and just want to experience like unique high quality games.
I think a lot of us here are actually Shenmue and Yakuza fans or am i wrong?

But lets say i have a friend who loved every single element and second of Shenmue
and he asks me if there is something with the same Shenmue gameplay experience and vibe.
I wouldnt answer 'oh yeah, just play the Yakuza games, you will 100% love it if you liked Shenmue.'
I feel like that would be very misleading.

And vice versa too. If you like these dirty thriller Yakuza stories with all the brutality and stuff,
i dont think people should recommend Shenmue to this person just because
'you will like it if you like Yakuza'.
These two series are way too unique for a 'if you like this, you will love this too' recommendation.

Back