RUMOR CONTROL: Nozomi's Photo, Try-Z, the "Old Warehouse No. 8" trick, Sparring and more

Darkside_Hazuki

Hates the Fantasy Zone
PSN
Stick_Breitling
I'm doing my final playthrough of Shenmue 1 before part 3 comes out so I'm using the opportunity to look into gameplay-related rumors, strength-increase mechanics, and general "tips" that have circulated the Shenmue community for nearly two decades. A lot of these may be old news to some of you but a few people and websites still circulate some of these rumors to this day.

Below are a list of rumors and whether or not I've discovered them to be TRUE or FALSE. I encourage anyone who thinks that I'm mistaken or if I'm providing misinformation to post up, give me their thoughts, and then we'll talk about it. I can go into my findings and explain what I did to test things out.

SUBJECT: Photo of Nozomi, and her "happiness" with her photo.
RUMOR: Here's the quote from the wiki regarding the photo Eri takes of Ryo & Nozomi at New Yokosuka Harbor: "Ryo can choose which photo to keep, the one where they are close or the one where they are apart. If he chooses to keep the photo where they are apart, Nozomi is happy that she gets the photo where they are close. If he chooses to keep the photo where they are close, Nozomi is a little disappointed that she gets the photo where they are apart."
TRUE or FALSE: In regards to Nozomi being "happy" or "disappointed", this is FALSE, at least as far as I can tell in the rest of the cutscene. Nozomi, no matter which photo you take, does not speak or emote any differently throughout the rest of the cutscene (this includes that weird frown-into-smile she does when she's initially handed her photo). I had to rewatch each "choice" a few times before I came to this conclusion. What I can't confirm is whether or not it matters which photo she has in future cutscenes so maybe someone can chime in on that.

SUBJECT: Sleeping + Training functions, and their relation to strengthening Ryo's moves.
RUMOR: The "Training" function, which is available at Ryo's bed @ 8pm or later, directly affects what moves increase in strength whenever Ryo goes to sleep.
TRUE or FALSE: This is FALSE, Training and Sleeping aren't linked together at all. "Sleeping" has no gameplay function other than just that, going to sleep. What "Training" actually does is directly affect what moves increase in strength whenever certain key-conversations or important cutscenes occur that advance the story of the game. For example:
Training Increase #1 = this occurs near the beginning of the game after Ryo & Fuku converse in the dojo about Lan Di and the black suits.
Training Increase #2 = this occurs after speaking to Tom and you begin to look for Chinese people.
Training Increase #3 = this occurs after speaking with Liu Senior and you begin to look for sailors.
And there are even more "Training increase" events after that; to my knowledge there are over 20 of them. Also a good indicator for when a Training increase occurs is whenever the "walking around town" background music changes.

SUBJECT: The "Old Warehouse No. 8 Training Increase" trick.
RUMOR: When sneaking into Old Warehouse No. 8 if you can get calendar days to quickly pass by (either by constantly failing the flashlight-catch QTE or getting caught by the guards) then the strength of your moves will increase every day because you're technically "Sleeping" multiple days.
TRUE or FALSE: This is FALSE. From my testing there is NO STRENGTH INCREASE at all when you do this; the only thing you gain is your 500 yen allowance. Like I stated earlier: Sleeping, or in this case getting days to go by, has nothing to do with your moves being strengthened or with your Training settings. For the people who have claimed that this trick works but say it's a "very minor increase" what they're actually seeing increase Ryo's moves is Training Increase #13, which occurs after your first meeting with Master Chen and Gui Zhang.

SUBJECT: Sparring to increase the strength of Ryo's moves.
RUMOR: Sparring with Fuku can increase the strength of your moves.
TRUE or FALSE: TRUE, but you need to know HOW. I'll explain it using Throws as an example since I only used those when Sparring (I haven't confirmed if this applies to Hand and Leg moves but I would bet that it does since this process is very similar to using Practice sessions in open areas to increase the strength of Hand and Leg moves).
During a single Sparring session: if your Throw is at the "Learning" level then every 10 times you grab Fuku with that throw it will increase in strength by a sliver. If the Throw is at the "Moderate" level then it'll take 20 times to increase it. Note that even if you grab Fuku but he "escapes" your Throw it will still count towards your strength increase. When the Sparring session ends you can check your Moves Scroll to see how much your Throw has increased (which in the Shenmue 1 & 2 HD version is indicated by a light-brown color). Note that Fuku only has a certain amount of health and once you damage him enough the Sparring session will end. Once your Throws get stronger it becomes more difficult to perform 10 Throws on him before the Sparring session ends unless he escapes a few of them.
SPARRING TIP #1: For multi-part Throws such as "Tiger Storm" or "Arm Break Fire" you only need to do the FIRST PART of the Throw for it to count towards your strength increase. Doing the follow-ups won't count towards your total and it'll just cause extra damage to Fuku, so if you want to get the most amount of reps in a Sparring session then only do the first part of a multi-throw.
SPARRING TIP #2: In your very first Sparring session against Fuku (which occurs during the Charlie arc when Ryo is meditating in the dojo and then Fuku shows up) he will escape nearly ALL of your Throws. The only ones he'll never escape are Demon Drop, your side-throw and your back-throw. This is a good opportunity to strengthen your throws since Fuku avoids damage by constantly escaping them. Keep in mind that after 1 in-game hour the Sparring session will automatically end so you don't have much time.
Below is a screenshot showing much I was able to strengthen Arm Break Fire in that very first Fuku Sparring session (I grabbed him 56 times and he escaped all of my attempts).

SUBJECT: Free Battling to increase the strength of Ryo's moves.
RUMOR: Free Battles can increase the strength of your moves.
TRUE or FALSE: TRUE, but you need to know HOW. The method is similar to Practicing and Sparring.
During a single Free Battle: for moves at the "Learning" level every 10 times you perform the move it will increase in strength by a sliver. If the move is at the "Moderate" level then it'll take 20 times to increase it. Note that after the Free Battle if you check your Moves Scroll you WILL NOT see a light-brown color indicating how much the move has increased however that move's strength bar will indeed be longer if you performed the move enough times. It's weird that the game doesn't highlight the strength increase and I double-checked this to be sure.

SUBJECT: The "Demon Drop" throw. (performed with Back,Back+Throw)
RUMOR: The Demon Drop throw is 100% inescapable by enemies. If grabbed, they will never, ever escape it.
TRUE or FALSE: This is at least 99% TRUE, and I leave out 1% because I swear Chai and "Day 1 Sparring Fuku" have escaped it on a very rare occasion but there's always the possibility that my input wasn't clean. But yeah, Demon Drop is a SUPER RELIABLE throw that makes fighting Chai at You Arcade 10x easier if you always use it on him after a successful Parry or Dodge. The fight is a breeze now thanks to this throw (and with some use of Crawl Cyclone) and any other time in the game I fight an enemy that starts escaping Throws I switch to Demon Drop and then they take it like a man.
WARNING!!!: I don't recommend setting the R2 button to do Demon Drop because I think performing it with the R2 button after a parry somehow screws with the input, which will cause some other throw to come out and then tough enemies like Chai will escape the throw. It's hard to explain, but in my experience learning to manually input "Back,Back+Throw" after a parry is much, much more reliable than using the R2 button to do Demon Drop.

SUBJECT: The "Shoulder Buster" and "Tengu Drop" throws. (performed with Forward,Back+Throw and Back,Forward+Throw respectively)
RUMOR: You can quickly "unlock" these throws by performing them in a Free Battle. (similar to how you can quickly unlock "Sleeve Strike" and "Rain Thrust" just by performing them during a Practice session)
TRUE or FALSE: FALSE, because I tried it a dozen times and it never worked. From what I can tell you simply have to wait for enough Training Increases to occur until you gain access to these Throws. When I play Shenmue I always set my Training to "Train Throw Moves Only", so I usually end up unlocking Tengu Throw after the fight with Charlie's gang in Sakuragaoka and I later unlock Shoulder Buster after calling Master Chen and giving the password.

SUBJECT: The "Wish to train specific moves?" function.
RUMOR: For the "Training" options at your bed, if you select one specific move to be "focused" then that singular move will increase in strength more than all of your other moves.
TRUE or FALSE: FALSE, what this function does is...I actually don't know WHAT the fuck this does. The only thing I know for certain is that if a move is maxed-out you can no longer select it to be "focused".
Here's what I tested: I made a save file that puts me at a point in the game where I can get four Training Increases in a short amount of time.
--The first thing I did was set my Training to "Train Throw Moves Only" and each time I got a Training Increase I took a screenshot of my Moves Scroll.
--After that, I reloaded the save and this time I set my Training to "Arm Break Fire will be focused from now on". I then went through the same Training Increases and took screenshots.
--I compared both sets of screenshots to eachother and my results were: they both showed an increase to ALL OF MY THROWS, and Arm Break Fire increased the exact same amount with both methods. So overall, I just don't visually see any effect that the "Wish to train specific moves?" function has whether I select "No" or if I select "Yes" followed by choosing one specific move to train.
I was wondering if maybe this was a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD bug so I did some testing on the Dreamcast version and my results were the same. I did a similar test using Hand Moves (just in case the mechanic doesn't work for Throws) and again, same results. So yeah, I dunno what this shit does and I've read dozens of explanations over the years and they've all been either vague or false. I even tried random ideas like "Maybe focusing on a move makes it so you can increase that move with fewer reps during Practice, Sparring or Free Battling" and I got NO RESULTS there. I'm open to ideas with this one!
(**I edited the section above for clarity)

SUBJECT: Getting the rare gacha "Try-Z".
RUMOR: Try-Z can only be obtained from the "Exciting SEGA World Set" machine that's inside the Harbor Lounge, but it can NOT be obtained from the SEGA World machine that's in front of You Arcade.
TRUE or FALSE: My money is on TRUE until I see otherwise, but I won't claim 100% certainty since all of this is luck-based. I'm always reading that you can find Try-Z in either one of the SEGA World machines but I spent a LOT of time trying to get it from the You Arcade machine and it never showed up, however when I tried the Harbor Lounge machine I got a few of them in a much, MUCH shorter span of time.
OTHER GACHA NOTES:
Hornet
= I had trouble finding this because I read that you get them from the Car Toy Set machine. BUT THEN I saw a Japanese YouTube video of someone getting it from the SEGA World machine inside the Harbor Lounge and THAT is where I finally got one. It seemed SUPER rare, and I never once got one from the SEGA World machine at You Arcade machine or from the Car Toy Set machine.
Solo Wing = I thought at first that these could NOT be obtained from the SEGA World machine inside the Harbor Lounge but I eventually got one there, however it seemed super rare. At the machine in front of You Arcade I got a ton of these so I'm not sure if the probability is different between the two machines.
NIGHTS 1 = This isn't rare but I thought I'd throw this info out. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can get these from the SEGA World machine inside the Harbor Lounge, only from the machine at You Arcade.

SUBJECT: The "Raffle Ticket" trick.
RUMOR: When drawing a raffle ticket at any store, wait until the middle of the 5th "swish" sound to press the OK button. Doing this will increase your chances of winning a prize.
TRUE or FALSE: I will never be able to confirm this or tell people that this 100% works...but I will never stop doing it either, because to this day, I still think it works. It was a trick I remember seeing on the GameFAQs cheats section like 15+ years ago and I'm probably one of the two or three people that still do it to this day.

SUBJECT: Ryo & Gui Zhang's "Double Throw" team attack.
RUMOR: This is my rumor and I have no proof that it exists, I can only say that I saw it only once with my own eyes long, long ago on the Dreamcast. I'm not sure if it was a gameplay bug, but going off my memory it looked pretty legit. I wasn't the one playing I was watching a friend of mine play and we lost our shit when it happened.
During the 70-Man Battle with Gui Zhang, when Ryo performs the "Darkside Hazuki" throw Gui Zhang positions himself so that as the opponent flips forward from Ryo's throw Gui Zhang grabs & body slams the enemy to the ground. That's all I remember and I could never, EVER get it to happen again. I thought after the HD version came out one day someone would eventually post footage of it but I've yet to see it.
TRUE or FALSE: I wish you were there is all I can say.

SUBJECT: SECRET BATTLE with Tony Abrams. (Tony is the white-skinned, tan-shirt douchebag sailor that Ryo frequently encounters)
RUMOR: On Disc 2 during the QTE Chase with Jimmy from Asia Travel, as you're running through the bar section you have to QTE LEFT to avoid bumping into Tony Abrams. If you fail this QTE and bump into Tony he'll angrily get up and engage in battle with you.
TRUE or FALSE: Okay, okay, this is 100% nonsense that I'm just making up for fun, but check this out: after Ryo bumps into Tony, Ryo stops, respectfully apologizes, bows, and resumes chasing Jimmy...and as Ryo steps away, Tony TAKES A SWING at Ryo and chases HIM for just a moment! I'd never seen this until about two weeks ago.
OTHER NOTES: Holy fuck this was funny when I first saw it, plus Tony just sounds like a dork when he yells "Ouch!"

Well, that's all I got for now. Have at it, folks.
I'm still wrapping up the end of Shenmue 1 and then afterwards I'm gonna dig into Shenmue 2.

Last edited:
That’s revelatory that training moves has no impact on increasing strength of said move, but rather is tied to storyline check-marks. Fascinating.

Wow if it is tied to the story, then at least I no longer have to go through the whole QTE flashlight trick nonsense anymore outside maybe a single week worth of doing so for some extra money. I will have to test to confirm this for myself during my last playthrough before III. I always thought the Nozomi Photo thing was not true though since I didn't see anything different in her expression. Good to know since I can now get the canonical photo now with zero worries.

That’s revelatory that training moves has no impact on increasing strength of said move, but rather is tied to storyline check-marks. Fascinating.
Just to clarify in case I didn't type it well enough:
The only Training functions that work as they should are "Train All Moves", "Train Hand Moves Only", "Train Leg Moves Only", and "Train Throw Moves Only". Those are all fine, but once the game prompts you for the "Wish to train specific moves?" option I just can't find a difference between selecting "No" or selecting "Yes" followed by selecting a specific move to train.
EDIT: I edited that section in my initial post to clean it up, I should've worded things better there.

Last edited:
This is a good thread and it'd be interesting to have some more things to fact check too.

SUBJECT: Photo of Nozomi, and her "happiness" with her photo.
Can confirm it makes absolutely no difference which photo you chose.

SUBJECT: Sleeping + Training functions, and their relation to strengthening Ryo's moves.
SUBJECT: The "Old Warehouse No. 8 Training Increase" trick.
I saw you mention these before, and I concur - it's progression-related.

SUBJECT: Sparring to increase the strength of Ryo's moves.
SUBJECT: Free Battling to increase the strength of Ryo's moves.
I showed this on-stream, where I leveled the Mud Spider up to moderate by just repeatedly kicking Fuku in the nuts. It seems to level at the same rate as normal training.

One thing I do want to point out, though:
Keep in mind that after 1 in-game hour the Sparring session will automatically end so you don't have much time.
The sparring session doesn't have a set time; it seems to be after a set number of moves or combos instead. Spamming the throw button makes it end much faster than spamming the punch button, for example.

SUBJECT: The "Demon Drop" throw. (performed with Back,Back+Throw)
Never knew this!

SUBJECT: The "Shoulder Buster" and "Tengu Drop" throws. (performed with Forward,Back+Throw and Back,Forward+Throw respectively)
Can confirm, these unlock with story progression.

SUBJECT: The "Wish to train specific moves?" function.
I'm with you here, I have no idea what effect it actually has - I never use it as a result.

SUBJECT: Getting the rare gacha "Try-Z".
Every capsule toy in the first game, with the exception of the "booby prizes" (Binsbein, Dice, Heavy Ball Super Ball) can only be found in one type of machine. The Excited Sega World at GAME You is the same as the Excited Sega World at Harbor Lounge, and has the same probabilities of getting everything.

SUBJECT: The "Raffle Ticket" trick.
This was confirmed false a while ago. The prize is determined before you can even press the button.

SUBJECT: Ryo & Gui Zhang's "Double Throw" team attack.
As you say, I've never seen this happen. I think you're probably misremembering.

One thing I do want to point out, though:The sparring session doesn't have a set time; it seems to be after a set number of moves or combos instead. Spamming the throw button makes it end much faster than spamming the punch button, for example.
Thanks for the feedback. I took another crack at this subject to double-check my work and here's what I got. The best thing about going over this stuff again is that somewhere in the middle I learned something new!

So here's my theory on Sparring sessions and I'll talk a bit about how I tested some things out:
Sparring sessions with Fuku end in one of three ways:

#1.)
When Ryo receives too much damage. (***I just learned this!)
I'm convinced that Ryo has a hidden life gauge, and once it fully depletes the session will end with the screen slowly fading to black. To confirm this: get Ryo to face a wall and just let Fuku wail on his back. It usually takes around 12 quick hits for Ryo to lose all of his life. I'm also 100% convinced that Ryo's life DOES regenerate during Sparring (similar to how Ryo's life regenerates during in Free Battles) so when testing make there's no big downtime between Fuku beating him up.

#2.) When Fuku receives too much damage.
Fuku also seems to have a life gauge, and once it fully depletes the session will end with the screen slowly fading to black. Fuku's life does NOT regenerate (similar to a typical Free Battle enemy) and I can't say exactly how much life he has. I typically gauge his life by how many times it takes one of my Throws to damage Fuku enough so that the session ends.

#3.) When 1 in-game hour passes.
As long as Ryo and Fuku don't damage eachother too much, after a full in-game hour, the session will end with Ryo and Fuku in a strange "lock" or "freezing" state. The screen DOES NOT slowly fade to black like #1 and #2 do, so this makes it noticeable whenever a session ends from a time-out.

Those are the theories, here's my data:
I made two Sparring session videos and I began both of them from the same save state. In both videos Ryo & Fuku engage in Sparring at exactly 8:45am and then the session automatically ends at exactly 9:45am with the odd "freeze" occurring (which was described in #3 above). However I do something different in each video.

(**Keep in mind, in the save file that I'm loading from, that my "Demon Drop" throw is strengthened to being just a tad below Moderate level and that it takes me a total of six Demon Drops on Fuku before enough damage is dealt to him to end the Sparring session.)

In this first video below I don't attack or damage Fuku at all, in fact I never even pressed a button (Ryo automatically parries/escapes/safefalls everything from Fuku if you just stand still facing him). The session eventually ends in 1 in-game hour with the odd "freeze".

In this second video below I heavily damage Fuku by immediately performing five Demon Drops (I didn't do six because I'm trying NOT to end the session by damaging him too much). I spent the rest of the video running around like an idiot and trying not to further damage Fuku so that the session would continue. I also whiffed some random moves and I ate a few hits myself. There's also a part in the video where I almost accidentally punched him but luckily he parried it. This session also ends in 1 in-game hour with the odd "freeze".

So my thoughts based off of these: no matter how many moves are or aren't performed between Ryo or Fuku the Sparring session never goes longer than 1 in-game hour, and a Sparring session will ONLY end sooner than 1 hour once Ryo or Fuku have received enough damage to deplete all of their life.
(*edited the above paragraph for clarity)

Let me know your thoughts on this or if you have a suggestion on how else I should test this out.

Last edited:
Made an update to the "Demon Drop" section after someone told me Chai kept escaping Demon Drop after they did a parry, but he was using the R2-button shortcut to do Demon Drop. I looked into this and it turns out setting your R2 button to do Demon Drop (especially after a parry) is a bad idea. Manually inputting Demon Drop with "Back,Back+Throw" is the way to go. See below; I've edited this into the first post.

WARNING!!!: I don't recommend setting the R2 button to do Demon Drop because I think performing it with the R2 button after a parry somehow screws with the input, which will cause some other throw to come out and then tough enemies like Chai will escape the throw. It's hard to explain, but in my experience learning to manually input "Back,Back+Throw" after a parry is much, much more reliable than using the R2 button to do Demon Drop.

Great thread, thanks for sharing. Wondering if any owners of the official Prima guide can confirm if any of the above myths were perpetuated by that book?

Thanks for the feedback. I took another crack at this subject to double-check my work and here's what I got. The best thing about going over this stuff again is that somewhere in the middle I learned something new!
This is interesting stuff, I wonder if the first fight with Gui Zhang uses the same logic.

@Darkside_Hazuki Can half confirm the team attack not being a glitch. If Ryo and Gui Zhang are engaged with same enemy, the attacks will coordinate; for me he kicked the guy after I had struck him (although I cannot recall specific moves--fairly certain mine was not a throw). You actually just jogged my memory when it happened for the first time to me during a random disc 3 play back in August or July. Gosh, somehow always amazed how Shenmue keeps on giving. At least once a play, no matter how minuscule, there's something new.

Now I want to boot up the 70 man battle from Options menu to try coordinating a throw...!

Just to add one myself:

SUBJECT: Mr. Yukawa figures
RUMOR: In order to meet Mr. Yukawa, you must have exactly one of each of the two Mr. Yukawa figures.
TRUE or FALSE: FALSE. You can meet Mr. Yukawa as long as you have at least one of each figure. Having five of one and three of the other makes no difference, he's still in Takara Sushi on the 9th.

It's a shame this thread didn't get more traction.

Since my last post, I've managed to confirm one thing I long suspected:

SUBJECT: Weather
RUMOR: "Shenmue weather" is randomly generated (with some restraints).
TRUE or FALSE: FALSE.

I've copied my most-recent playthrough by playing the video of it and making sure I do the same actions (not to the accuracy that would be required to manipulate RNG in the same way - I almost certainly bumped into a different number of walls at different points, and went to bed at slightly different times). The weather was identical in both playthroughs, throughout the whole of December. In particular, there was one period immediately after Heartbeats Bar with 2.5 days of constant rain - the first two days rained all day, and it let up only on the afternoon of the third day. This was true of both playthroughs.

However, I've also gone through and tried different things, advancing the story at different rates and different times. The weather did not match, with rain and snow occurring at different times both in regards to the story and the calendar. I think it's likely the weather is determined as a function of both story progression and the current date; and that the weather for any particular day is determined at the start of the previous day (as you can call 177 and get information on the following day's weather).

So while I can't say for certain how the weather is generated, I can say for certain that randomness doesn't play a part.

I've been playing through this game as of late and your moves do go up based on story events indeed as I have been checking the movelist after a cutscene or event. It is nice that all my moves are at moderate by the time I was at the Mirror search, but I had to do some training of course.

Back