Ryo's Footwear Habits in Shenmue 3

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
They retconned A LOT in Shenmue 3.

No picture of Lyuong in the house, an entirely new room, new outfit for Shenhua, now she is a good cook, tiny Sword of Seven stars which doesn't float, the list goes on.

Yes actually the differences in Shenhua's house is a topic I'd like to cover in a future post.

The sword of 7 stars was actually a mistake in Shenmue II. Yu Suzuki wanted a more dagger like item but got a massive He-Man type sword.

They corrected this for Shenmue III but agree lots was indeed changed.

The sword of 7 stars was actually a mistake in Shenmue II. Yu Suzuki wanted a more dagger like item but got a massive He-Man type sword.

They corrected this for Shenmue III but agree lots was indeed changed.

How'd that happen? Do you have a link to that interview or story?

Nice write-up!

There are quite a few versions of Ryo and those include a version where he just has socks on, it should be easy enough to mod that version over the one with just his shoes on, so we could have him sleep with socks on! :p

There are quite a few versions of Ryo and those include a version where he just has socks on, it should be easy enough to mod that version over the one with just his shoes on, so we could have him sleep with socks on! :p
I'd love to see that. Shenhua would approve! :grinning:

They retconned A LOT in Shenmue 3.

No picture of Lyuong in the house, an entirely new room, new outfit for Shenhua, now she is a good cook, tiny Sword of Seven stars which doesn't float, the list goes on.

She was never NOT a good cook; she admitted herself that she wasn't that great, but Ryo really enjoyed the dinner she made, which suggests she's actually pretty good.

Where is the bathroom in Shenhua's house? How do Ryo & Shenhua shower and go to the toilet?

Did you play the game at all?

Actually in the original design the Sword of Seven Stars was a dagger, but for some reason I made it a long sword. [laughs] To be safe, I asked a senior co-worker to run it past the director, Yu (Suzuki). I heard that he commented “I asked for a dagger! Oh well - never mind!”
This is hilarious and I have no idea Hirai did it. That said, I'm glad to finally learn this. A dagger being used as a key makes may more sense to my simple brain than that massive MMO sword.

She was never NOT a good cook; she admitted herself that she wasn't that great, but Ryo really enjoyed the dinner she made, which suggests she's actually pretty good.
Also this. I never understood why people would just take Shenhua at face value when she said she's a bad cook. Good cooks, good artists, good etc downplay their skills all the time irl just like that because either they legitimately underestimate themselves or are just being humble.

Did you play the game at all?

IIRC there was some sort of outhouse they used? Or maybe Ryo took Goro's advice and found a nice spot to take a leak on the Shenmue tree?

Also you're DEAD WRONG about Shenhua's cooking. In S2 she thinks of herself as a bad cook, but in S3 she thinks of herself as a good cook... its a character change.

Also that "feast" Shenhua prepared for Ryo wasn't that great. Yes, Ryo said it looked and smelled good, but once he realized it was rabbit, he was disgusted and his tune immediately changed. Ryo only responded with an unenthusiastic "yeah" to be polite when Shenhua said it was "tasty." I mean, what was he supposed to do as her guest? Proclaim the meal crap and flip over the table in abject disgust? Ryo was just being Ryo... polite and uncomplaining.

Last edited:
Also that "feast" Shenhua prepared for Ryo wasn't that great. Yes, Ryo said it looked and smelled good, but once he realized it was rabbit, he was disgusted and his tune immediately changed. Ryo only responded with an unenthusiastic "yeah" to be polite when Shenhua said it was "tasty." I mean, what was he supposed to do as her guest? Proclaim the meal crap and flip over the table in abject disgust? Ryo was just being Ryo... polite and uncomplaining.

I wouldn't say it wasn't great, Ryo probably had never eaten rabbit before and therefore could not stomach the idea of eating rabbits. Ryo seems surprised when he hears Shenhua telling him that she catches rabbits to eat. My dad is the same way where he can't eat rabbit just because the idea of it puts him off. I love it though lol

I wouldn't say it wasn't great, Ryo probably had never eaten rabbit before and therefore could not stomach the idea of eating rabbits. Ryo seems surprised when he hears Shenhua telling him that she catches rabbits to eat. My dad is the same way where he can't eat rabbit just because the idea of it puts him off. I love it though lol
Maybe Shenhua and Ryo can have Chai over for dinner next time?
tumblr_lu7xdyn8kd1qjt3an.jpg

Removing his shoes upon entering the Hazuki Residence was second-nature for Ryo back in Yokosuka, but he seemed to give up this habit altogether in the second game.

This post looks at how the habit / custom of removing shoes before entering certain living areas is portrayed in Shenmue 3.
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/02/ryos-footwear-habits-revisited-shenmue-3.html

View attachment 7291
How dare you imply something is done more thoughtfully and realistically in III than in II!

Just joking, I love it.

Nice post, Switch. I really liked that they added this detail to Shenmue III. It was very reminiscent of Shenmue I and a good example of all the little things that make these games so special.

How do Ryo & Shenhua shower and go to the toilet?
They go skinny dipping together in the Lijiang River. :sneaky:

If chai doesn't like the food he'll just go "YEEAAAGHHHHH!!!!"
And if he likes it, he lets out a hearty "HEEEEGGH!!!"

Back