Ryuji luchi started to play Shenmue

It makes me sad that he's playing the PS4 version, which butchers a lot of the music. It's by far the worst version of the game when it comes to audio.

I hope he doesn't think that's the way FREE 1 has always sounded.
Yeah, unfortunately that's about the only version available in Japan. I'm relatively certain they didn't get the Xbox One release, and the Steam version may as well not even exist there (I actually don't remember if it's listed there, but either way it takes a little bit of extra work to set it up for Japanese UI). He's at least aware of some of the faults at this point. He seemed to already know that there was a bug that altered the sound of one of the instruments in the Bar Yokosuka theme (one of his songs). I guess the pitch bending didn't make the transition too well. In the most recent video, one of the viewers pointed out that the voice samples in the remaster are worse than the originals, which he remarked about a little, but he's been dealing with his own audio issues in his setup, that's causing noise, and audio delay. So I think he's been more concerned with that than anything else audio related.

There's unused variations of FREE 1 within the game's files - maybe this is what he's talking about? It looks like that idea didn't get very far off the ground...
He mentioned this set of music posted on Youtube, in this last stream, but didn't make any mention of it in relation to his thought about FREE 1 from the first stream. Seems like it would have been what he was thinking of, but I don't know.

Part 3 is available. Ryuji plays Nightfall live at the start of the stream! Also at the end he plays the song at Shenhua's house in Shenmue 3 which is also one of his (composed back at the time of I & II).
I really like hearing these live renditions.

No Wacky sightings this time, sadly.
The song he uses for the intros really seems like it should be part of Shenmue, but I guess it isn't

Man, Nightfall is just incredibly relaxing every time. Cool to hear the "live" version.

Part 3 is available. Ryuji plays Nightfall live at the start of the stream! Also at the end he plays the song at Shenhua's house in Shenmue 3 which is also one of his (composed back at the time of I & II).

I am in awe of this man. Spends about 14 minutes layering tracks to slap together a pretty perfect rendition of the Tomato Mart jingle, then proceeds to pull an Eggman figure on his first try at the Sonic capsule toy machine, and got a winning can when he decided to buy some Jet Soda. I was kind of surprised he didn't get a Gold Dural when he bought his one bag of potato chips at the Abe Store.

Other sort of interesting things that stuck out to me:

- Miyawaki was back, and getting tipsy.
- He and Iuchi started talking about bugs from play testing, and Miyawaki mentioned the bicycle having a lot of issues. He also mentioned a bug where Ryo's face would get swapped out for the QTE button prompts in the first Charlie encounter, and it looking like a horror movie creature.
- Won from Ajiichi was apparently modeled after one of the background designers on staff.
- Iuchi mentioned having a vague recollection of watching someone test playing who slammed into a wall while riding the bike.
- This is something that has bothered me for a while, but apparently the noise in one of his songs on the soundtrack was caused by DAT tape errors.
- Mostly an aside, but I thought one of the viewer's stories was pretty cute: Since Ryo couldn't actually eat any of the snacks in the game, this person would buy caramels and things, and eat them while playing. lol
- Charlie's character design apparently went through a number of revisions.

He got his noise issues sorted out with some new equipment, also. It was a pretty enjoyable stream. His viewership seems to be picking up a bit. Has anyone from here been dropping in? There were a number of English comments in the chat.

I asked him about sheet music and him helping the community as much as he could by stating who composed what that he knows of...but I can't tell if he answered or not. Sounded like he at least referenced my sheet music question, because I heard something about an orchestra. Been waiting on a translation. :)

Did he mention what song was messed up?

I asked him about sheet music and him helping the community as much as he could by stating who composed what that he knows of...but I can't tell if he answered or not. Sounded like he at least referenced my sheet music question, because I heard something about an orchestra. Been waiting on a translation. :)
Oh! Yeah, he did say that he isn't aware of any release of the original scores. He doesn't think it's out of the realm of possibility, now that 1, 2, and 3 have been released, but it's a matter of who's going to put them together, and what entities hold the rights/documents and such. He mentioned the orchestral score being held by Wish, I think. I'm not really up on this aspect, but it seems like that would be this group:
He also mentioned that he would really like to have the orchestra score for himself, if it were ever released.

He was having a little trouble with the other two questions. He did say that at some point it would be nice to have an entire compilation, but I think he interpreted the question as more putting together a complete soundtrack for all of the music in the game, and not as much just the track names and things. He was saying that some of the music only exists as it was engineered to be played back in-game, where they would have worked to save on the processing footprint, but many were also used in meetings and locked away on old DATs and MiniDiscs. So he thought it was possible that at some point someone might unearth all of those and release them to the world.

Unfortunately, I don't think the third question really made it through as intended, but I guess he sort of addressed that. I think for the most part, he might not have a lot of that information to help much, anyway.

No, he said he couldn't remember which one it was. I was planning on listening through the soundtrack again, because I'm almost positive I've heard it, but I can't remember which one it was, either.

He doesn't think it's out of the realm of possibility, now that 1, 2, and 3 have been released.

This wording gives the impression that, with the release of 3, all the originally composed music is released. So there's no more music suitable for future installments. Did you get the same impression?

Do you know if someone asked if there's more music left to know? Or if it's feasible to ask that in a future stream?

He mentioned in the Kickstarter promo video that over 800 songs were composed. I don't think we're there yet...maybe close.

Checked out the OST again. I don't know if the noise in "Snack Linda Theme" is intentional, and I also don't know if it's one of Iuchi's songs, but aside from that, there's a bit of noise in "Nozomi and Ryo," as well as "Memories of Distant Days." I think the latter is probably the one he was thinking of, since it's a little more noticeable, I feel.

This wording gives the impression that, with the release of 3, all the originally composed music is released. So there's no more music suitable for future installments. Did you get the same impression?

Do you know if someone asked if there's more music left to know? Or if it's feasible to ask that in a future stream?
Oh, that's an interesting question. I guess I was just sort of mimicking the way he talked about it in the stream. He's still getting used to streaming, and seems to have some trouble with responding to the chat while also playing. I guess I can't really say for certain. Like @24Nathan mentioned, there probably is still some unused music in the vaults. It would be interesting if future games in the series would have all original music going forward, though.

No one asked about music that still hasn't been used. I haven't been able to actually watch live, but I might try to this Saturday, if I can. I'll ask some things in the chat, if I can make it to the next one. I'll probably just ask him if he still has any music left that he wrote for Shenmue that hasn't made it into the games. I think he'd be more likely to know that, since he should probably be receiving royalties on anything that was used, to this point.

He mentioned in the Kickstarter promo video that over 800 songs were composed. I don't think we're there yet...maybe close.

I've made a quick and dirty calculation to this :-). I've counted the total number of files for the I&II soundtracks from the "Shenmue Fans" Youtube channel (which looks pretty comprehensive), and it totals 487 files. Then, from the Shenmue III gamerip analyzed at https://wulinshu.com/wiki/index.php/Music_Tracks_(SM3), I've counted 138 more tracks with no "previous game use".

That would make a total of 625 tracks, which would mean that 78% of the original Shenmue music would be released already.

Another interesting number is that in that Shenmue III listing there are 145 reused tracks, slightly above the number of original ones. That would reinforce the idea the total number is around 800, because if it was much higher, I reckon they would probably have found suitable original pieces for every need in Shenmue III.

Like @24Nathan mentioned, there probably is still some unused music in the vaults. It would be interesting if future games in the series would have all original music going forward, though.

I understand the interest and the benefits of having newly composed music, specially when it comes to sound integration and design in the games.

But I personally would prefer an opposite scenario where lots of music had been completed back then and remained under wraps for 20 years only to be uncovered now :-). I found that really fascinating about Shenmue III music, and at the same time makes me more confident of its quality and authenticity than hiring new composers now from who knows where.

No one asked about music that still hasn't been used. I haven't been able to actually watch live, but I might try to this Saturday, if I can. I'll ask some things in the chat, if I can make it to the next one. I'll probably just ask him if he still has any music left that he wrote for Shenmue that hasn't made it into the games. I think he'd be more likely to know that, since he should probably be receiving royalties on anything that was used, to this point.

I'll be very thankful if you can ask that question! (and eager to know the answer). How wonderful life must be when one is fluent in Japanese :-).

I didn't think the stream would be quite so early for me, but I happened to get up a bit earlier than I normally do on a Saturday, and just checked his channel to be ready for the stream. Turned out he had already started, and I missed maybe half of it. I did get a chance to slip a question in when he wasn't preoccupied with finding Old Warehouse #8.

I'll have to go back to the recording once it's posted, to double check anything I might have missed in his answer, but the long and short of it was that he doesn't actually know how much of his music might still be unused. Sega has everything he made for the project, and he thought there could still be some things left that haven't been used in the games, but how much, exactly, he doesn't really know. I think I remember him saying something about a bunch of snippets of things that he made for the game probably kicking around Sega somewhere, but that's one of those things I would want to double check.

Sorry that doesn't really clear up very much. I think it's probably not that likely that he's been able to keep track of everything about the music for the game over the years. There is a massive amount of it, after all. I don't know that I'll always be able to drop into the live stream in the future, but I was thinking about joining in again next week to ask a question or two related to development for the games. I don't really want to just bombard him with a bunch of questions every time, either, but does anyone have any burning questions they want to ask him? I'm happy to try asking, as long as it feels like I'm not being a nuisance.

Thanks to Dojo for compiling some of these live renditions for those like me who missed the streams. It’s been said so many times but hearing these renditions just reinforces how amazing music is in the series and it wouldn’t be quite same without his input;

Today I was curious and went back to his Youtube channel, and I've seen Ryuji Iuchi has continued his playthrough series, and he just finished Shenmue I and started the second one!

He also seems to have published some standalone videos for his live renditions of the music. I wonder if there's more, or if he has said something interesting on any of the playthroughs. Such a shame not knowing Japanese!

Despite no viewers, he's pretty active and constant with his Shen-marathon videos release.👏🏻
I love his Shen-music live session videos also.😍
The music is a massive part of the experience and Shenmue wouldn't be what it is without him.
I hope Shenmue IV will have both older tracks and new ones that is equally as good with that "Shenmue sound".
I also love that Ambient / Atmospheric Shenmue 1 - music. The Shenmue games has the best game music soundtracks that I know of! I love it!

Even though with my limited Japanese knowledge, I can only understand about 10% of the streams, i’m thoroughly enjoying them! It’s quite surreal to see someone that worked on the games playing them virtually for the first time and seeing how they encorporated his music into the game. His live performances are always fantastic too. As a tease, with Iuchi-san’s blessing, this coming Shenmue day i’ll be releasing a second compilation. 😋

Even though with my limited Japanese knowledge, I can only understand about 10% of the streams, i’m thoroughly enjoying them! It’s quite surreal to see someone that worked on the games playing them virtually for the first time and seeing how they encorporated his music into the game. His live performances are always fantastic too. As a tease, with Iuchi-san’s blessing, this coming Shenmue day i’ll be releasing a second compilation. 😋
Yeah surreal indeed. I don't know if he has played it before?? If not, I hope be becomes a fan ;).

By the way how did you learn japanese? I loved Shenmue so much when it was released that I began studying japanese on my own. I forgot almost every kanji but I still remember all the hiragana & katakana. Verbally I can only understand words here and there. At least something.

Yeah surreal indeed. I don't know if he has played it before?? If not, I hope be becomes a fan ;).

By the way how did you learn japanese? I loved Shenmue so much when it was released that I began studying japanese on my own. I forgot almost every kanji but I still remember all the hiragana & katakana. Verbally I can only understand words here and there. At least something.

Just been taking lessons for the last 2 years, and learning Kanji via Wani Kani!

I’m still crap at listening and speaking, but decent at reading and writing :)

Back