Sales of Shenmue III: Where are we now?

I think it should've sold that on top of the Kickstarter. I just struggle to see how it only sold 30,000 copies outside of Japan, one of Shenmue's least popular markets. We know the LEs (LRG & Pix'n Love) added 7,500 copies to that 20,000 in Japan. I am going to guess most of those sold to people who already backed or bought a retail copy. So we're now at nearly 30,000 copies sold with Japan included. (We should also keep in mind this is just November-December that they are reporting on).

That means Shenmue 3 sales = 20,000 worldwide outside of Japan if we go with the Gamstat number. That makes no sense. Keep in mind I don't actually KNOW any of this; I am simply guessing. It doesn't add up to me.

I also think slashing the price by 25%-50% on PSN & doing some kind of promotion for S 1 & 2 on PSPlus would give the game legs. There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel if someone at these faceless corporations wants to provide it. Let people see what Shenmue is and if they like Shenmue 1 & 2, they might find a cheaper Shenmue 3 palatable. I have way too much faith in Sega & Deep Silver, mind you.

Last edited:
Just wanna add that the "trophies not tracked before one unlocked" issue didn't affect everyone.
I started playing on actual release day and after day one patch (1.01) and my trophies showed up properly after the first game start.

To my understanding, only people who started playing before the release day (or prior to 1.01?) had this issue. So mostly backers.

Just wanna add that the "trophies not tracked before one unlocked" issue didn't affect everyone.
I started playing on actual release day and after day one patch (1.01) and my trophies showed up properly after the first game start.

To my understanding, only people who started playing before the release day (or prior to 1.01?) had this issue. So mostly backers.
Looking at Gamestat’s figures it’s still an issue when it comes to tracking. According to their in depth stats, all of the 60,000 tracked players have at least 1 trophy.

Edit: just realized that tomorrow’s report will only cover sales up to the end of December, so 200,000 seems pretty unlikely. I think PS4 sales were probably around 162,000 at that point and as Epic will likely never sell their pre-purchased number of copies, we can’t expect any additional PC copies to be added on to that.

I don’t see them giving a precise number when it comes to copies sold, but if expectations were for the game to sell 250,000 copies (as the forecast suggests), I would imagine profits from Deep Silver will be around $2.7m lower than predicted in the last quarterly report (possibly more if the heavily discounted price the game was available for is taken into account).

It will look bad, but I don’t think it’s as bad as the forecast makes out.

Last edited:
Looking at Gamestat’s figures it’s still an issue when it comes to tracking. According to their in depth stats, all of the 60,000 tracked players have at least 1 trophy.

Edit: just realized that tomorrow’s report will only cover sales up to the end of December, so 200,000 seems pretty unlikely. I think PS4 sales were probably around 162,000 at that point and as Epic will likely never sell their pre-purchased number of copies, we can’t expect any additional PC copies to be added on to that.

I don’t see them giving a precise number when it comes to copies sold, but if expectations were for the game to sell 250,000 copies (as the forecast suggests), I would imagine profits from Deep Silver will be around $2.7m lower than predicted in the last quarterly report (possibly more if the heavily discounted price the game was available for is taken into account).

It will look bad, but I don’t think it’s as bad as the forecast makes out.

In all honesty, even 250k would be a bad figure.
Let me explain why:
- Yes, Deep Silver likely didn't lose money on Shenmue 3. KS covered half of the budget, Epic paid them a hefty amount of copies.
- Yes, not every games need to sell millions.

But the problem is the opportunity cost. For the amount invested in a project, companies often look at the prospect of which decision will make more money. Shenmue 3 made money I'm sure of it. How much is the question. And low benefits when another project could've generated more is important too.

On top of that, a project that manage to not lose money because they had a deal with Epic and money from KS is a scaring project for new partners. Why ?

Because if Shenmue IV were to be made, it'd have to be on new funds and likely more than what DS put into III because there wont be a big KS to cover up that money next time.

And when you take into account that sales next time might be even lower, this raise many interrogations for potential partners. "I can inject 4 to 5 millions into Shenmue IV, which I may not see all that money back... I can also barely make money on that game... Or I can inject 1 to 2 millions in a smaller project that might make more money".

That's what we have to keep in mind: What Deep Silver will say will be really important.

Let me explain why:
- Yes, Deep Silver likely didn't lose money on Shenmue 3. KS covered half of the budget, Epic paid them a hefty amount of copies.

But the problem is the opportunity cost. For the amount invested in a project, companies often look at the prospect of which decision will make more money. Shenmue 3 made money I'm sure of it. How much is the question. And low benefits when another project could've generated more is important too.

On top of that, a project that manage to not lose money because they had a deal with Epic and money from KS is a scaring project for new partners. Why ?

Because if Shenmue IV were to be made, it'd have to be on new funds and likely more than what DS put into III because there wont be a big KS to cover up that money next time.

And when you take into account that sales next time might be even lower, this raise many interrogations for potential partners. "I can inject 4 to 5 millions into Shenmue IV, which I may not see all that money back... I can also barely make money on that game... Or I can inject 1 to 2 millions in a smaller project that might make more money".

That's what we have to keep in mind: What Deep Silver will say will be really important.
Hard to argue too much with that, but I’d see S3 as having been a low risk project from their point of view, both in terms of cost and man hours.

They seem to have a preexisting relationship with Epic when it comes to exclusivity deals and probably had a good idea how much they could make on that front. In all likelihood, that deal alone brought in more than their initial investment of $5m (give other take).

In terms of man hours, they seem to have done the bare minimum in the way of promoting the game and have relied heavily on Epic for much of the games advertising (which came in the way of significant bought media). They did pump some money into marketing as shown by the Facebook and YouTube ads, but they came very close to release and didn’t stick around for too long.

In all likelihood, DS will probably end up at least doubling their initial investment in S3 when all’s said and done.

When it comes to a potential S4, there are 3 considerations. They will probably have to invest more, there will probably be 50k-70k sales as a result of backers having not pre-purchased this time around and Epic may not be willing to put up as much (if any) for an exclusivity deal.

If (and it’s a big if) production of S4 is already happening, it’s likely that development time would be much shorter (no need for recruitment, learning how to use UE, building the game engine within UE and designing character models for key characters). A shorter production time will likely mean a smaller budget, but how much is anybodies guess.

It really depends on what Yu is asking for and whether the number of copies sold of S3 and the number of backer copies indicates that the game is likely to bring back the budget and enough profit to make the endeavor worthwhile.

Personally, I’m still fairly positive that S4 is already being worked on and could be with us within the next year.

I have already said this on another topic but I will rewrite here :)

It is hard to know how far Gamstat is from the real numbers.
But we have one exemple: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

The editor have said they sold more than 100k unit in japan
It was the 28 of january.
At the time gamestat was saying there was 40k player.
And today Gamestat have 54k player.

Another point of comparaison, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim sold 34k unit in his first week in japan

I am not saying the sell of Shenmue 3 are not as high as DS was expected, but it is maybe not the disaster that some say.

And it is just my opinion but I would be VERY suprise if Shenmue III have less than 200k unit sold (Ps4+epic+Backers)

100k VS 54k, real sales are just double of what gamestats says.

And I don't think that 13 Sentinels is another of those few games like Shenmue 3, that aren't added to accounts until you unlock your first trophy.
So in the case of Shenmue 3, real figures could be more even than double.

I'm guessing from 120k to 150k on PS4 alone.

Let me explain why:

I remember at some point even Cedric had a very unrealistic expectation (but probably was just his wishful thinking) of 1 million copies (that would've required that 90% of the original Shenmue 1 fanbase should've bought Shenmue 3, 20 years later, impossible).

unfortunately the situation is this, all depends on Deep Silver initial forecasts, it they had some unrealistic expectations, I hope they will not blame everything on Shenmue 3.
Deep Silver has their share of errors, marketing for example was bare bones, they never helped with their marketing team when negativity arised (on the contrary, DS was one of the reason for negativity, releasing official trailers with alpha footage only contributed to build more bad rep, and their PR never addressed this).

Deep Silver spent few bucks on the project, I really don't see them investing more than $3 million, and if they invested more they mismanaged the resources.

The question is, they jumped on Shenmue 3 bandwagon just because it was a kickstarter project so this was a really low risk investment since majority was paid by backers, or they were genuinely interested in the Shenmue series long-term, because they know this series was a million-seller brand on Dreamcast, so they know it has the pontential?

We will see.

Hopefully. Feels like the last stand at this point. With crowdfunding off the table for Shenmue IV.

Its pretty shitty gaming nowadays. Everything I like seems to sell like crap. Nearly all the series I've loved this gen have either disappeared completely or had dissapointing sales.

I'm finding it hard to give a shit about next gen knowing hardly any of my fave series will turn up.

Last edited:
I also think slashing the price by 25%-50% on PSN & doing some kind of promotion for S 1 & 2 on PSPlus would give the game legs. There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel if someone at these faceless corporations wants to provide it. Let people see what Shenmue is and if they like Shenmue 1 & 2, they might find a cheaper Shenmue 3 palatable. I have way too much faith in Sega & Deep Silver, mind you.
This really seems like the way forward to me. Maybe I'm over-estimating what PSN freebies do, but imagine if you captured even 10% of that audience and got them interested in a (discounted) Shenmue 3. I don't think Deep Silver's really shown what's possible yet.

Last edited:
This really seems like the way forward to me. Maybe I'm over-estimating what PSN freebies do, but imagine if you captured even 10% of that audience and got them interested in a (discounted) Shenmue 3. I don't think Deep Silver's really shown what's possible yet.
That would require Sega to give away a game that is still selling at a steady rate. If Gamestat are to believed (and apparently professional analysts can do so for financial forecasts), S 1/2 has garnered almost as many new players over the past month as S3 has on PS4 alone.

The heavy discounting of S3 will also be as big an issue for DS as the lack of sales. If they drop the price to say $15, they would have to sell twice as many copies of the game as they would at its current price and four times as many as their original target based on full price sales.

It may pay off, but it’s a pretty big gamble on Deep Silver’s part and is reliant on Sega deciding to give away a game that is still making them money.

How many copies a month is Shenmue 1/2 selling on PSN? It'd only go up for free for a month. It's free on Gamepass as far as I understand and that is a much longer lasting deal. Unfortunately, no Shenmue 3 on Xbox! I'm sure any idea I've 'come up with' has been turned over and analyzed many times over by people with much better data than me. I'm just trying to think of a circumstance that would possibly draw in new fans, which is our best bet for getting another Shenmue if we are looking at a diminishing existing fan base. I know that betting on two different publishers working together to help one publisher's game sell well is kind of unrealistic, but perhaps Sega earns a royalty from Shenmue 3 sales.

Last edited:
That would require Sega to give away a game that is still selling at a steady rate. If Gamestat are to believed (and apparently professional analysts can do so for financial forecasts), S 1/2 has garnered almost as many new players over the past month as S3 has on PS4 alone.

That is interesting, it could be people jumping in the saga before starting 3? I am pretty sure that at this point Sega has make some profit of the S1&2 ports, more than 200k users on PS4 according to Gamestat, +100k on Steam + whatever sold on Xbox

How many copies a month is Shenmue 1/2 selling on PSN? It'd only go up for free for a month. It's free on Gamepass as far as I understand and that is a much longer lasting deal.
Initial estimates suggested that around 80% of console sales were on PS4 and that’s not including Japanese sales (if I’m not mistaken that game didn’t even get an Xbox launch here). If Japanese sales are included it’s probably more like 95% PS4 vs 5% Xbox. Putting the game in Gamepass makes sense as the fee they got for it probably mitigated any potential sales they might have lost (which, on Xbox, were likely to be negligible).

Shenmue is apparently shifting more than 6,000 copies a month, but this equates to 72,000 copies a year (potentially around $1m in profit for Sega).

Putting the game on PSN+ wouldn’t just cost them one month’s sales as the game would be available to every active PSN user who might have ever picked up the game. It would effectively decrease the chances of them ever paying for the game to zero when right now there is a chance (albeit slim) that they might.

I don’t know how much Sony pay publishers/developers, but I doubt it is more than the money that Sega could potentially lose out on.

Like I said, I have a pretty overly simplistic or idealistic view of how this would work out. I can't really think of any other way to grow the audience for Shenmue.

I found another report. I'll share it if you want via PM. Don't want to start another shit storm. It's not as negative about Shenmue 3 as the other report we've discussed.

Back