Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a direct reference/symbol referring Ryo's Father in some way

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • It's just a normal Easter egg

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It's just you overthinking things

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
So I need help because I am not sure exactly how many times the Sega Saturn Pops up across all three games, but I do have basic theory that needs to be tested and it is in relation to the Sega Saturn being more then a basic Sega Easter egg, but a reference directly aimed at Ryo's father.

Iwao Hazuki in the Japanese version was voiced by Hiroshi Fujioka, I have also heard but I can't find a direct source that he was even loosely modeled after him "I need that fact checked"

Hiroshi Fujioka also played "Segata Sanshiro" a mascot who would beat you up for not playing the Sega Saturn and main mission was to share the greatness of the Sega Saturn with the world!

So instead of it just being a being an Easter Egg referring to Sega's past or that Shenmue was original planed for the Saturn. What if it's more then that?
With the Saturn being used as a narrative symbol or a stand in for Ryo's father because in Shenmue 1 you can use a Saturn at Ryo's home where Iwao lived, and in Shenmue III you find the actual physical Sega Saturn only where Iwoa "Segata Sanshiro" has personal been,

Why does the Saturn pop up here because Segata Sanshiro was there that's why!

Also to my Knowledge you can not find a Saturn anywhere in Shenmue II, why because Iwao has never been to Hong Kong nor Kowloon, finding a Saturn there would break this theory unless found with a friend of Iwao but he has been to Bailu where you can find the Sega Saturn.

In short this theory purposes that the Saturn is a direct reference to Ryo's Father being Segata Sanhiro or for story purposes as a symbolic stand in for Ryo's Father. Basically if you see a Saturn you know that's Ryo's father has been there!

I do know that you can find capsule toys of the Saturn which kind of breaks this theory, but the actual physical/playable Saturn's to my current understanding are only usable, or findable where Iwao "Segata" has personally been.

One last thing the way Yu Suzuki plans things into his game I could actually see him using the Saturn as narrative stand in for Iwao

Well considering the SEGA GO 60 commercials have Segata's son defending SEGA in his fathers honor :D

That's a neat theory. I like the idea. But I do think you're over thinking about it.

I believe the Saturn in Shenmue 1 is there as an Easter Egg to Sega and the fact that Shenmue was at first a Saturn project.

And the one in Shenmue 3 is just an Easter Egg to Shenmue 1.

Iwao has been to Kowloon- he knew Kai (the “blind” musician), who mentions Iwao visited 20 years ago.

Back