Kyo_JP

Today is a Diamond
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown
PSN
ElBidimensional

A new mini cabinet announced, the classic Sega cabinet (that you can find in Shenmue III). It will include 36 games and Hiro from Am2 will compose sounds for the system.

Some of the game:
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Alien Storm
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
  • Columns II
  • Dark Edge
  • Ichidant-R
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Altered Beast
Basically, insta sold

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder

I'LL TAKE TWO

500full.jpg

Where's my Sega Saturn mini 😭

The Saturn mini should be the name in Japan, whereas in the west we have a Dreamcast mini; be like Master System/Mega Drive days of regional naming.

Deep Fear
Burning Rangers
Sonic Jam+Sonic R
NiGHTS
Grandia
Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon 1/2/Saga
(plenty of others)
---
Shenmue 1/2 (3?)
Jet Set Radio
Headhunter
Toy Commander
Quake 3
NHL/NBA/WW Soccer/Virtua Tennis 2K20
Propeller Arena
Sonic Adventures
Phantasy Star Online ep 1+2+4BB
(plenty of omissions)

Saturn emulation is notoriously difficult. It's gotten a lot better from where it was (A LOT BETTER) but considering a lot of these mini consoles still run low powered ARM Chips, I do wonder if that is the reasoning for a hold up?

Yes, moderate Android phones can emulate Saturn but not without hitches. I think it's the same problem that has held up a potential N64 mini. I think some of these boards just aren't up to speed for emulation past the 16bit era. Yes, I know, there was the PlayStation Mini but there were a lot of emulation woes with that...especially once you started hacking the thing. I remember Tony Hawk 2 ran pretty badly on that thing.

That's not to say I don't think it will ever happen. ARM chips are constantly evolving and dropping in price so it could happen somewhere down the line if it becomes feasible. But yeah, Saturn is notoriously difficult to emulate and I would suggest that could be a reason as to why no Saturn Mini. Also combined with the fact that the Saturn just wasn't popular outside of the East.

For a potential Saturn/Dreamcast hybrid mini, I'd imagine a new deal with NEC and Hitachi might be necessary to get around bad ARM emulation.

I came across this while searching for Zeta Gundam BluRay sets. Kind of neat.

Amazon JP - Astro City Mini Control Pad

The D-pad and buttons look like they're pretty much junk, but I kind of want one just for the styling.

I wonder when they'll announce more games, and if they're going to drip feed titles like the Mega Drive mini, maybe even surprise us by adding in a couple more :D

Another 13 games announced (that makes 23 out of 36 of games):
  • Bonanza Bros
  • Columns
  • Cotton
  • Crack Down
  • ESWAT
  • Gain Ground
  • Ichidant-R
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Shadow Dancer
  • Shinobi
  • Wonder Boy
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
I'm admittedly not that familiar with the entire Sega arcade library, so here's a good video I've watched from a great channel I've been following that covers a lot of the older titles. It's a prediction video for what was supposed to be the final 26 games (before the 13 above were announced):

Last edited:
Reactions: red
Bonanza bros is a fantastic game. Loved playing 2 player split screen back in the day on the mega drive.

The final list was announced:

Announced 3rd Sept 2020:
  • Scramble Spirits
  • Ninja Princess
  • Arabian Fight
  • Sonic Boom
  • Stack Columns
  • Flicky
  • Quartet 2
  • Puyo Puyo Tsu
  • Thunder Force AC
  • Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
  • Rad Mobile
  • Space Harrier
  • Seishun Scandal / My Hero

Announced 20th Aug 2020:
  • Bonanza Bros
  • Columns
  • Cotton
  • Crack Down
  • ESWAT
  • Gain Ground
  • Ichidant-R
  • Puyo Puyo
  • Shadow Dancer
  • Shinobi
  • Wonder Boy
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Already announced:
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Alien Storm
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
  • Columns II
  • Dark Edge
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Altered Beast
I made a nice alphabetical list of the games inside spoiler tags so this doesn't stretch too far:

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Arabian Fight
Bonanza Bros
Columns
Columns II
Cotton
Crack Down
Dark Edge
ESWAT
Fantasy Zone
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
Ichidant-R
Ninja Princess
Puyo Puyo
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Quartet 2
Rad Mobile
Scramble Spirits
Seishun Scandal / My Hero
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi
Sonic Boom
Space Harrier
Stack Columns
Thunder Force AC
Virtua Fighter
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy in Monster Land

It also seems that they announced a separate arcade stick

Hi guys

Who else has ordered this? Its on amazon.jp and will be release in 3 days but have heard nothing about it.

Why does the Japanese amazon site state 'no operating system' below it?

Will it need a UK plug and converter/transformer?

Also, I got extra controller, did anyone go for the bottom part of the arcade and stall or the arcade stick?

I bought it through Nin Nin Games I think, not sure when it will arive since we are picking two and they are arraving at my friend place, currently 500km away and without being able to move between regions due to the pandemic, so no rush for me, probably will get it on april

Mine arrived before Christmas and it's one of the best things I have ever purchased
Hey dude, are you in the UK? I very much doubt this is leaving Japan so I want to treat myself to one as a new years gift.

Would you say the controller is worth the extra money? I've read the Mayflash MagicNS works with it so tempted to buy one of those instead and use one of the retrobit controllers.

Thinking of picking one of these up as well...I've heard good things. Anyone else here have any thoughts in addition to what's been said already?

Hey dude, are you in the UK? I very much doubt this is leaving Japan so I want to treat myself to one as a new years gift.

Would you say the controller is worth the extra money? I've read the Mayflash MagicNS works with it so tempted to buy one of those instead and use one of the retrobit controllers.
Hey buddy. Yep I live in the UK and I would definitely recommend the extra controller. The reason being a lot of the games are co-op and so it allows you to get more games in with family/friend. I saw on YouTube not many others are compatible with it as well. I have not seen this Mayflash magic NS works so will check this out

But I went for the controller and it's good quality (slightly light) as buttons are good and it looks the part.

Definitely treat yourself! It won't get released outside Japan

Thinking of picking one of these up as well...I've heard good things. Anyone else here have any thoughts in addition to what's been said already?
Check out my Instagram @retro_sega_arien and I have posted some screens of some of the games I have played so far.

Virtua fighter, golden axe, shinobi, shadow dancer, Arabian fight there are some great games on here and the graphics are crisp. A much better experience than what were released for mega drive IMO and it's a lovely little collectors piece. It won't go down in price either I doubt

Back