SEGA: Dreamcast Titles On Nintendo Switch One Step Closer To Reality

Henry Spencer

I'm not a monster, it's only a mask.
PSN
harryangel666
XBL
Magiking
In a recent Famitsu interview, SEGA’s Naoki Horii said that the company is close to successfully making Dreamcast titles work on Nintendo Switch through emulation. But there’s still one question left unanswered.
Horii said there are two ways to go about making SEGA Ages Dreamcast titles on Nintendo Switch, either through emulation or remaking the game as they still have its source code. Both approaches are very different, but it seems the company is leaning towards using emulation for most of its Dreamcast titles, while picking the remake option for the rest.​
https://nintendosoup.com/sega-dreamcast-titles-on-nintendo-switch-one-step-closer-to-reality/

Looks to me like the Switch is quickly becoming the system to own for retro games (there's already an awesome collection of classic arcade games on the Switch). Here's hoping this happens! May get to finally try out Skies of Arcadia.

Not played Outtrigger in years either, would be cool to play that again. Would be cool to play Virtua Tennis 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, House of the Dead 2 and Power Stone 1 and 2 again (which would have to involve Capcom being interested in re-releasing their Dreamcast titles, but still).

What Dreamcast games would you all like to play/play again?

Shenmue would have been the cool option but now that I have it for PS4 I really don't care about this. Some of my favourite games are on the Dreamcast but ultimately there is a reason why new generation of consoles are released and we dispose of the old ones.

Holy crap, literally just referenced something similar being quite likely in the cancelled Shenmue remake thread haha. yay, finally more official and closer to reality!

This is really awesome news!

I play Crazy Taxi on my phone all the time when I'm away from home. Having that same portability but with proper controls would be really nice. The Sonic Adventure games would also be such a cool edition to the library.

Oh, Hydro Thunder too please!

Personally, a pipedream(cast) i've had for awhile is Ninendo licensing out Switch ala MSX, and have Sega make their own portable screen with Dreamcast/Saturn emulation and joycons befitting of the 3D Saturn/DC control pad.

VF3tb with Model 3 version included. Also Type of the Dead with wireless keyboard. And some Samba de Amigo!

Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2.
Shenmue 1 and 2.

Buying a switch for retro games is like buying a dump truck to commute to work lol...

But this is cool for switch owners who want some portable retro stuff. I'll stick to original hardware and PC emulation though, as they will always be the best experiences...

Soulcaliber - the first one. But then again, not sure if I'd actually play it. I still have my Dreamcast (of course)... but the Switch is such a convenient piece of hardware.

Soulcaliber - the first one. But then again, not sure if I'd actually play it. I still have my Dreamcast (of course)... but the Switch is such a convenient piece of hardware.
But please, the DC Version with the mission mode and no the basic 360 port

As a follow up, SEGA now have also managed to get the NAOMI arcade board working for Switch:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/321651-sega-gets-naomi-arcade-board-up-and-running-on-switch

So that includes a boatload of games developed by the likes of SEGA, Tecmo (Dead or Alive 2) and Capcom (Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2, Canon Spike, Power Stone).

Game list here:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI#Game_List

Oh, now if only they manage to work Naomi 2 we could have a perfect VF4 Evolution port. I am really super excited with all this news.

Did anyone ever play Power Stone in the arcade? I don't recall ever seeing an arcade machine for it anywhere. I was living in the UAE at the time but we still got Crazy Taxi, Jambo Safari, 18 Wheeler, etc. in the arcades when they were released.

It'd be nice if Planet Harriers finally got a home release. Heck, even Jambo Safari :p

EDIT: TIL Jambo Safari was released for Wii and 3DS.

Back