Sega is bringing back Alex Kidd by licensing out the IP

Looks that way. Looks decent

I don't like the art style :/

Looks like the same type of thing Lizardcube & Dotemu did with Monster Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake, which is one of the best remakes ever made, and turned it from a passable platforming adventure into one of my favorite games ever made. What a fascinating story. Want to talk about subverting expectations, Rian Johnson? The Dragon's Trap did that for video games decades ago. Totally revitalized the game and added so much quality meta unlockable content (plus Linux support, which was awesome -- no such luck with Alex Kidd tragically for humanity). They also run the original game alongside the new game, so you can switch graphics or sound between them in realtime. If Merge Games & Jankenteam at least add the realtime switching between the retro art and music & the new artsyle, as well as put in a lot of unlockable extras like in Monster Boy, I imagine it could be very much worth a purchase & replay.

Okay SEGA, can we licence out Jet Set Radio while at it? Since that seems to be your new thing. Licence things out for others to develop. Give me a new Jet Set Radio.

That's an interesting choice. I've never particularly cared about Alex Kidd, personally, but that's kind of cool. It's surprising to me, in the same way his appearance in Segagaga was. I wouldn't say I'm excited about it, but it's intriguing.

The Dragon's Trap {...} a passable platforming adventure
Whoa, what? That's a pretty spicy take. I don't know, man. I think The Dragon's Trap has always been one of the finest examples of non-linear action platforming within a series that has consistently shown extreme aptitude for great action platforming.

Seems smart to bring Alex Kidd back with a fairly simple remake rather than spend a lot of money on a flop no one asked for. Let's see what it does for the IP.

I loved Alex Kidd when I was growing up – didn't end up beating the game until fairly recently (using an emulator and copious use of save states), so I'm super hyped for this. Hope the modern mode has some save states or similar.. but also glad that the classic mode is there as well.

I'll be getting this on switch, I think.

Growing up in the PAL region, I remember my friends who had a Master System calling it "that crappy built-in game" and making fun of it. In hindsight, it wasn't really that bad of a game but it really paled, compared to Mario 3 or the 16 bit era Mario and Sonic titles.

I do think there is an audience for this though. It should do well, just like Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4.

On a different note, is Sega even still a developer?

Shenmue, Streets of Rage, 2d Sonic, Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd...

OOther than 3d Sonic, Yakuza, Sakura Wars and maybe Valkyria Chronicles, I can't really think of a lot of stuff they develop themselves anymore.

Last edited:
Growing up in the PAL region, I remember my friends who had a Master System calling it "that crappy built-in game" and making fun of it. In hindsight, it wasn't really that bad of a game but it really paled, compared to Mario 3 or the 16 bit era Mario and Sonic titles.

Yeah, 'cause every game ever made 2 years before another, by a company with significantly less resources, will be up to snuff, right?

It's an 8-bit game that was developed a whole 5 years before the 16 bit titles and 3 years before Mario 3... and I'd still play MW over that overrated Mario franchise anyways.

**** Ninty.

Back