SEGA Lounge Podcast: Interview with Cedric Biscay

Yes, maybe we have a slight case of George Lucas Syndrome with Yu, of course on a much, much more modest scale than Star Wars. But the similarities are there. A great engineer and visionary but an extremely clumsy writer and horrible storyteller.

It's hard to say that for sure. I just think priorities and focus weren't put on the story, hence why we have the result that is Shenmue III.

Was the budget high enough to focus everywhere, would the result be the same ? Hard to say.

But what we know doesn't give us enough to claim that it's a case of "I forgot the story" "I dont know how to tell one". But what we can tell for sure is that they didn't give more emphasis on it and didn't focus on that aspect.

I think Yu probably focussed on the aspects of Shenmue that he was/is more excited about. That's what people do when they have creative control, but this time he didn't have a sea of people -- or the money -- to ensure all aspects of the game reached the same level of depth and quality.

Yes, maybe we have a slight case of George Lucas Syndrome with Yu, of course on a much, much more modest scale than Star Wars. But the similarities are there. A great engineer and visionary but an extremely clumsy writer and horrible storyteller.
That's bad you people bash the creators while you on your whole life don't make anything better than them.(And just bashing them for making a product that doesn't lives up to your nostalgia or your crazy expectations.)

Poor George and poor Yu Suzuki made the products they wanted to make. Put their souls in them, made the best use of their budget and this is how you thank them ?

I'm pretty sure if any of you were in Yu's place, you wouldn't dare to make Shenmue 3 at all.

Really hardcore fans are the worst fans of any franchise.

That's bad you people bash the creators while you on your whole life don't make anything better than them.(And just bashing them for making a product that doesn't lives up to your nostalgia or your crazy expectations.)

Poor George and poor Yu Suzuki made the products they wanted to make. Put their souls in them, made the best use of their budget and this is how you thank them ?

I'm pretty sure if any of you were in Yu's place, you wouldn't dare to make Shenmue 3 at all.

Who is bashing them?

Whoa! Where did that come from? :ROFLMAO: Relax, dude. :cool:

When an artist puts their work out into society they are willingly opening themselves up to criticism. This is especially true if they expect people to buy their work as art is not essential for survival. So if they are dissatisfied with the product they paid for, they have the right to express their displeasure. Even more so, considering that Shenmue III was crowdfunded by fans, with some spending tens of thousands of dollars. In other words, its hypocritical to imply that fans are entitled when they went to this extreme for the series.

I have no doubt that Suzuki did the best he could given the circumstances. However, doing your best doesn't mean you always succeed. It really all comes down to the individual and how they perceive the work in question.

The only time I think fans go too far is when they start harassing or threatening the artist in question. If your fans are offering you constructive criticism then that's perfectly fine. And I say all this as someone who is grateful that Shenmue III exists, has a great reverence for Yu Suzuki, and absolutely loves the Star Wars prequels.

Back