SEGA's involvement in Shenmue III

Favourite title
Shenmue
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned but I have been oblivious pretty much about Shenmue III since I backed it.

Has SEGA been involved in anyway? Did Yu request the Virtua Fighter engine for fighting?

It seems like SEGA has done very little to help Yu Suzuki or Shenmue III and that seems like a shame because it seems Yu Suzuki still loves SEGA. Can someone correct me, it seems like SEGA really thinks very little of the series.

They gave the licence and some other small tidbits as well as the assets they had.

That was it.

They gave the licence and some other small tidbits as well as the assets they had.

That was it.

I feel very saddened by this.

I hope it's not some Japanese-kabushiki kaisha politics hoping to see Shenmue III fail after how much it lost SEGA.

They're not a charity but you'd have hoped for some more input I guess.

I don't think Sega is trying to kill Shenmue, otherwise they wouldn't have ported Shenmue 1 & 2 or given Yu Suzuki the license. What can they do for Shenmue? They're not gonna pump $20 million into a franchise that isn't a home run. I think giving Yu Suzuki some free licenses for the arcade would've been a nice gesture of good will. We could've had DYNAMITE DUX!!!!

SEGA already did a LOT by allowing the use of the Shenmue IP and some SEGA property. I dont know many publishers who lend their IPs to 3rd parties.
true. konami for example has refused to allow even fan made versions of metal gear solid to be made.

I don't think Sega is trying to kill Shenmue, otherwise they wouldn't have ported Shenmue 1 & 2 or given Yu Suzuki the license. What can they do for Shenmue? They're not gonna pump $20 million into a franchise that isn't a home run. I think giving Yu Suzuki some free licenses for the arcade would've been a nice gesture of good will. We could've had DYNAMITE DUX!!!!

They pumped $20 million into Shenmue Online and that was eventually cancelled.
I never understood why they couldn't have put at least half of that toward a game that would actually see release.

But at this point I am honestly happy they just let Yu have the license and assets to get 3 made.
It was also awesome to see the various Virtua Fighter posters/logos in the game too, even if we never got actual Sega mini-games/capsule toys this time around.

Imagine walking into the Bailu Arcade and being greeted with this beauty:

Dynamite_Düx_arcade_flyer.jpg

Sega really deprived us.

Just Imagine a shenmue game with the dragon engine , like bailu village in the dragon engine that would be breathtaking

Just Imagine a shenmue game with the dragon engine , like bailu village in the dragon engine that would be breathtaking

I’ve only extensively played Judgment and while visuals produced by the engine were indeed gorgeous, I don’t think enough credit was given to what small team were able to produce on Unreal Engine with Shenmue 3, particularly the environments. Case in point-

I’ve only extensively played Judgment and while visuals produced by the engine were indeed gorgeous, I don’t think enough credit was given to what small team were able to produce on Unreal Engine with Shenmue 3, particularly the environments. Case in point-

I didn't say they do bad work on shenmue 3 graphics shenmue 3 was amazing I often stop playing just to look the environment but imagine the team that work on shenmue 3 with Sega team ryu ga gotoku on their own engine the dragon engine

Look at the games made with UE4 (for example, the FFVII Remake). Shenmue 3 isn't outdated because of UE4. If it's outdated, it's because of the people on the team or a lack of financial resources. I don't have any idea how Dragon Engine works, but if Shenmue IV were made with Dragon Engine then that would probably simply mean RGG took over. I don't think they're going to make Dragon Engine a third party tool.

Look at the games made with UE4. Shenmue 3 isn't outdated because of UE4. If it's outdated, it's because of the people on the team or a lack of financial resources. I don't have any idea how Dragon Engine works, but if Shenmue IV were made with Dragon Engine then that would probably simply mean RGG took over. I don't think they're going to make Dragon Engine a third party tool.
I think it’s a lack of experience as much as anything. Looking at what they were able to achieve with S3 and knowing that they would be going into S4 with 3-4 years’ (more) experience using UE4, I’d expect a noticeable improvement. That’s not to say that S3 isn’t visually impressive, but as you say, that the limitations we saw in S3 were down to the devs rather than the engine being used.

What's kind of odd is it appears quite a few people on the team, like the folks Switch is going to interview, have a bit of UE4 experience and they also brought in companies with extensive UE4 experience. I am guessing many of those folks came in late and the core team might've been inexperienced.

One of the 5 best games on the Master System.

Shenmue 3 looks and feels like an updated Dreamcast game. Personally, that's all I wanted.
Call it outdated if you want, but I'm a happy camper.

The thing that feels outdated are the animations (and some models, and UI). Sadly that does affect a lot the game feel (but we know they even had problems with the rigging and the animation pipeline).
The environments are beautiful to look at, and I quite love the texturing job, feels like photo textures but there's something "cartoony" and "creamy" about them.

More Sega junk would've made me much happier. But I'm still very happy. Hope a dev from RGG Studio gives Yu a tour of their studio lol.... And vice versa.....

Shak-Mue-Za has a great ring to it. Plus Kiryu's Yak 5 taxi driver outfit on Ryo would be awesome.

Always felt if there ever was a Yakuza crossover, the main character should be Ren--not Ryo. Perhaps not even include Ryo at all. Throw Gui Zhang in there as the Akiyama.

Back