SEGA's involvement in Shenmue III

I’d be down with a random Nagai Industries guy being the star, but throwing in lots of references to Shenmue. Just make sure we get to hang out in some familiar settings and occasionally cross paths with our favorite characters.

If Sega won't pay hard cash for more Shenmue then why cameo the crap outta Ryo and company?

I just don't get Sega. They have always been in my heart since I was a child. But they always drop the ball. Or kill the ball. Or sit on the ball. Or think the ball needs to be square.

I'd pay serious cash for a Yak/Shen crossover something or other.

Typing this here so I don't annoy too many of you: But... If Shenmue 4 actually happens IRL then I will literally eat a hat or do a forfeit or something. No nudity though lol.

Why don't they put out a range of Shenmue costumes and Mag skins for PSO2? Just something or other... I mean they did it for Hyperdimension Neptunia. They did it for Persona. They did it for Disgaea. They even did Zelda junk to celebrate PSO2 on Switch.

If you dig hard enough you can find PSO1 stuffs. Space Channel 5. Daytona USA. WHY NO SHENMUE THOUGH?!?!?!

Just get folks talking about Shenmue. It's not difficult Sega. Sega Mobile have a bunch of mobile IP pumping cash out at a blistering pace. Ever played Chain Chronicle on mobile? All they need to do is have a SSS rare chara with Ryo's face... Just something...

JUST DO SOMETHING ANYTHING!!

Granblue Fantasy is a fantasy RPG turn based mobile game. It's a whales wet dream. For no other reason than cash they did a limited time quest where (Remember the art style is very JRPG Final Fantasy etc) you fight.. Drum roll.... Space Invaders. Yes that's right. Officially licensed by Taito (or whomever owns the name) Space Invaders....

So, for me, Sega not doing anything at all. Not even a bit, for Shenmue, outside of giving it to Ys Net to play with frustrates the crap outta me tbh....

Last edited:
Look at the games made with UE4 (for example, the FFVII Remake). Shenmue 3 isn't outdated because of UE4. If it's outdated, it's because of the people on the team or a lack of financial resources. I don't have any idea how Dragon Engine works, but if Shenmue IV were made with Dragon Engine then that would probably simply mean RGG took over. I don't think they're going to make Dragon Engine a third party tool.
I know that wont happen i just said imagine i dont want rgg take over shenmue but if the shenmue team work with rgg and yu suzuki on the rgg own engine the dragon engine it could only look better and be better overall because they master their engine obviously and because the dragon engine look really nice but it wont happen and i dont really care about graphics they can make shenmue 4 with dreamcast graphics i would still get it day 1

If Sega won't pay hard cash for more Shenmue then why cameo the crap outta Ryo and company?

I just don't get Sega. They have always been in my heart since I was a child. But they always drop the ball. Or kill the ball. Or sit on the ball. Or think the ball needs to be square.

I'd pay serious cash for a Yak/Shen crossover something or other.

Typing this here so I don't annoy too many of you: But... If Shenmue 4 actually happens IRL then I will literally eat a hat or do a forfeit or something. No nudity though lol.

Why don't they put out a range of Shenmue costumes and Mag skins for PSO2? Just something or other... I mean they did it for Hyperdimension Neptunia. They did it for Persona. They did it for Disgaea. They even did Zelda junk to celebrate PSO2 on Switch.

If you dig hard enough you can find PSO1 stuffs. Space Channel 5. Daytona USA. WHY NO SHENMUE THOUGH?!?!?!

Just get folks talking about Shenmue. It's not difficult Sega. Sega Mobile have a bunch of mobile IP pumping cash out at a blistering pace. Ever played Chain Chronicle on mobile? All they need to do is have a SSS rare chara with Ryo's face... Just something...

JUST DO SOMETHING ANYTHING!!

Granblue Fantasy is a fantasy RPG turn based mobile game. It's a whales wet dream. For no other reason than cash they did a limited time quest where (Remember the art style is very JRPG Final Fantasy etc) you fight.. Drum roll.... Space Invaders. Yes that's right. Officially licensed by Taito (or whomever owns the name) Space Invaders....

So, for me, Sega not doing anything at all. Not even a bit, for Shenmue, outside of giving it to Ys Net to play with frustrates the crap outta me tbh....
Never expect Sega to do anything clever or reasonable with their ips. Ever.

Anyway, the UE4 is a great engine as we have seen in countless fantastic looking games that came out during this gen, the problem was exclusively YsNet lacking appropriate and experienced talent in both modern character modeling and animation.

Last edited:
What's kind of odd is it appears quite a few people on the team, like the folks Switch is going to interview, have a bit of UE4 experience and they also brought in companies with extensive UE4 experience. I am guessing many of those folks came in late and the core team might've been inexperienced.

yes, but they don't have experience working on a Shenmue engine or with yu Suzuki's high standards and perfectionism. BReaks even in the end. Shen4 will be cheaper and more efficient for both the Japanese and Western UE devs.

Back