SegaSammy should take back Shenmue.

As long as they have Yakuza, they'll never see the need to make another open world game series, being Shenmue or anything else.

Plus Toshihiro Nagoshi was burned by his little work on Shenmue 1, he'll probably obstruct any initiative to bring Shenmue series back in-house (just like he already did when they outsourced Shenmue HD to anamateur budget team, while the wise/sensible choice wwould be to take 4 Sega people and do the job at a lower cost and with better results).

That's the sad state of Sega, we're lucky that we receive some good non-Yakuza games nowadays like Valkyria Chronicles and Sakura Wars, even the Sonic series is suffering and given very offensive low budget under Nagoshi reign...

I really doubt Nagoshi is that spiteful about Shenmue. I've seen the interview, or is it interviews, where he mentions that Shenmue's development was a mess and that he had to help bring it together, but I don't think he's ever commented on the game much aside from that. He has mentioned that he'd be nothing without Yu Suzuki's guidance. . The idea he'd stonewall Shenmue doesn't make sense. It also doesn't make sense he'd want his studio to make a new Shenmue when he could continue working on his own IPs. Does Yu Suzuki even want RGG to work on a new Shenmue? No one ever thinks about that. He mentioned recently he wouldn't want to do a Yakuza/Shenmue crossover, so maybe it's YS who's preventing Sega from working on a new Shenmue? Who knows?

Anyway, it's also just not a good investment for Sega anymore.

I am still disappointed that SegaSammy didn't support Shenmue as expected, they should had allow Sega capsules on Shenmue and offer share some resources to make better game, instead they seem to just lend the IP, charge a % of sales and nothing else.
Looks like they were too busy working on the next Dreamcast hybrid with Nintendo ;)
Screenshot_2020-03-11-08-54-59~3.png

I really doubt Nagoshi is that spiteful about Shenmue. I've seen the interview, or is it interviews, where he mentions that Shenmue's development was a mess and that he had to help bring it together, but I don't think he's ever commented on the game much aside from that. He has mentioned that he'd be nothing without Yu Suzuki's guidance. . The idea he'd stonewall Shenmue doesn't make sense. It also doesn't make sense he'd want his studio to make a new Shenmue when he could continue working on his own IPs. Does Yu Suzuki even want RGG to work on a new Shenmue? No one ever thinks about that. He mentioned recently he wouldn't want to do a Yakuza/Shenmue crossover, so maybe it's YS who's preventing Sega from working on a new Shenmue? Who knows?

Anyway, it's also just not a good investment for Sega anymore.

He commented on that a few times, he made clear that he was burned with the project.
When you think that he is also in charge of anything that happen in the console departments (not only his own team), and that Shenmue HD received a very poor treatment, it's easy to do 1+1 and see the whole picture...

Also Nagoshi is not new to greenlight only his projects and even force success in some occasions, while rejecting projects made by other teams, it's a long story now.

I don't know why Sega would jump at the opportunity to publish a new entry in a series that lost them money and whose third entry didn't seem to be a screaming sales success. Sega's a business, and they're much more risk averse than they used to be. I really doubt it's anything to do with Nagoshi's ego. They barely even do anything for Nagoshi's non-Yakuza franchises. Did you see that they finally ported Monkey Ball to next gen consoles and decided to port the worst game in the series? I doubt that was his brilliant decision.

Have you noticed that Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, a game that no one wanted and the worst in the series, received a nice in-house treatment with all the care?

Guess what, it's a Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio game...the same Yakuza team, isn't it strange? And that's only the last example of Nagoshi special treatment for his own works.

While "the most wanted Sega porting" Shenmue was outsoucerd to some cheap amateur UK team with no support from Sega.

There is a real disparity of treatment between Nagoshi games and the rest of Sega production, Sonic included..
We're lucky that the Sega Sammy president Satomi personally like Valkyria and Sakura Wars, so we got new games with high production values, otherwise...

The current Sega works basically around the personal tastes of Nagoshi and Satomi, almost all other series have to find their fortunes outside Sega as licensed games.

Reactions: Ren
Sega is in business to make money. If Shenmue 3 had sold a million+ copies, I'm sure we'd see a quick announcement and a return to Sega. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that happened. I doubt Nagoshi's feelings on working on Shenmue 20 years ago have any major influence on Sega's current role in Shenmue's future development.

I'm still not sure why Nagoshi would want Sega to port the worst game in the Monkey Ball series to current consoles if he even was behind that decision. It also sold like shit, so there won't be another Monkey Ball. He's got a bunch of other great series aside from RGG/Yakuza to his name, yet he's not making any titles in those series because they don't sell. Sega's not gonna go on a suicide mission.

The Yakuza vs. Shenmue shit here and elsewhere is pretty tiring. I'm glad I enjoy both series. :)

Sega is in business to make money. If Shenmue 3 had sold a million+ copies, I'm sure we'd see a quick announcement and a return to Sega. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that happened. I doubt Nagoshi's feelings on working on Shenmue 20 years ago have any major influence on Sega's current role in Shenmue's future development.

of course Shenmue 3 sales doesn't help, but that's another matter.

Don't understimate Nagoshi's power inside the company.
Shenmue HD managed to sell more than Yakuza 3-4-5 HD, yet their only statement were "we're happy" and that's that, probably they'll never touch Shenmue again.

he is interested in Yakuza, and it will make anything to make it a success.
Its a matter of "will", Nagoshi isn't interested in Shenmue.
If he wanted, it would make even Shenmue a success.

I'm still not sure why Nagoshi would want Sega to port the worst game in the Monkey Ball series to current consoles if he even was behind that decision.

it wouldn't be his first silly decision...

It also sold like shit, so there won't be another Monkey Ball. He's got a bunch of other great series aside from RGG/Yakuza to his name, yet he's not making any titles in those series because they don't sell. Sega's not gonna go on a suicide mission.

That would be the normal stance after a flop right? But don't forget this is Nagoshi personal company now, mark my words, the next Monkey Ball game will be announced soon, and this will be another of the many evidences.

The Yakuza vs. Shenmue shit here and elsewhere is pretty tiring.

It's not Yakuza VS Shenmue, it's Yakuza VS Sega, all Sega IPs are suffering.

Last edited:
He has no interest in Shenmue because Shenmue isn't his creation. He was a staff member on the first game 20 years ago. Maybe he's waiting for Yu Suzuki to personally appeal to him? Who knows, man. Enough palace intrigue. Yakuza games keep selling so they keep making them. Sega simply doesn't have many massively popular IPs anymore.

He has no interest in Shenmue because Shenmue isn't his creation.

of course, but that would be fine if he was only the head of his own team Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio.
instead, as the head of the entire Sega internal teams, he can't act on his personal tastes, only promoting his own stuff and leaving everything else behind.
This only damaged Sega during the last 10-15 years.

He has no interest in Shenmue because Shenmue isn't his creation. He was a staff member on the first game 20 years ago. Maybe he's waiting for Yu Suzuki to personally appeal to him? Who knows, man. Enough palace intrigue. Yakuza games keep selling so they keep making them. Sega simply doesn't have many massively popular IPs anymore.

The fact is they lost their popular IPs the same time as the Yakuza series (and Nagoshi) arisen.
Still Yakuza isn't a massive seller compared to some classic IP like Virtua Fighter that were shelved.

Also Yakuza probably has the same marketing potential of Shenmue.(both reached 1 million)..

We aren't talking about "Sega's Resident Evil" here with 5 million copies at every chapter, that would justify Sega revolving entirely around this series...

Last edited:
As long as they have Yakuza, they'll never see the need to make another open world game series, being Shenmue or anything else.

Plus Toshihiro Nagoshi was burned by his little work on Shenmue 1, he'll probably obstruct any initiative to bring Shenmue series back in-house (just like he already did when they outsourced Shenmue HD to anamateur budget team, while the wise/sensible choice wwould be to take 4 Sega people and do the job at a lower cost and with better results).

That's the sad state of Sega, we're lucky that we receive some good non-Yakuza games nowadays like Valkyria Chronicles and Sakura Wars, even the Sonic series is suffering and given very offensive low budget under Nagoshi reign...

Where the hell did THAT come from?

You need to back that up with sources or something, 'cause not only does that sound like bullshit, Nagosh has proven time and again that he's a fair and shrewd businessman.

EDIT*

Actually, don't answer that; you were already challenged and failed to deliver a few weeks/months ago, with your Sega/Yakuza hate.

I don't want to start another pissing match.

Where the hell did THAT come from?

You need to back that up with sources or something, 'cause not only does that sound like bullshit, Nagosh has proven time and again that he's a fair and shrewd businessman.

First I need to understand your objection, what part is in your opinion BS?

of course, but that would be fine if he was only the head of his own team Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio.
instead, as the head of the entire Sega internal teams, he can't act on his personal tastes, only promoting his own stuff and leaving everything else behind.
This only damaged Sega during the last 10-15 years.

The fact is they lost their popular IPs the same time as the Yakuza series (and Nagoshi) arisen.
Still Yakuza isn't a massive seller compared to some classic IP like Virtua Fighter that were shelved.

Also Yakuza probably has the same marketing potential of Shenmue.(both reached 1 million)..

We aren't talking about "Sega's Resident Evil" here with 5 million copies at every chapter, that would justify Sega revolving entirely around this series...
Each Yakuza game seems to sell more than the last one in the West over the past 15 years. Shenmue sold a million copies 20 years ago! People who were playing games 20 years ago aren't necessarily playing games anymore, so the idea those million people would still care about Shenmue in 2020 is kind of silly. Clearly, Shenmue 3 didn't reach a million people--not even close. How can you even compare these two things?

I'm not trying to be the Yakuza Defense Force. I love both series, though I'll always put Shenmue ahead of any other series. I can't buy the argument Toshihiro Nagoshi has such an iron grip on Sega that he personally works against games that threaten Yakuza's role at the company. Yakuza games simply sell & review better than most of Sega's other IPs, and they are cheap to produce. It's a winning formula. Shenmue games take up a lot of resources and are too risky for Sega, which is hardly the Sega that was manufacturing hardware when Shenmue 1 & 2 were developed.

Each Yakuza game seems to sell more than the last one in the West over the past 15 years. Shenmue sold a million copies 20 years ago! How can you even compare these two things?

nope, over the past 5 years, prior to Yakuza 5 the series was basically dead here with 20-30k average and sales were decreasing at any chapter with the lowest being yakuza dead souls who killed the franchise in the west...
It took Atlus team and a lot of effort to save the series, still the best selling in the west is at 100k with Yakuza 6, not huge number in the west.

The "20 years ago" objection is a nonsense.

Also if we want to make proportions, Shenmue sold 1.2 million on a 10 milllion console
Yakuza reach 1 million with multiple rereleases + asian market on 100 million consoles...

Last edited:
Shenmue cost an unprecedented amount of money and sold a million copies on dead hardware to an audience that possibly no longer plays games anymore. Your comparison doesn't make any sense. I wish Sega would make Yu Suzuki their head creative and give him a bottomless amount of money to create the next game that completely changes gaming. Trust me. It just isn't in the cards, and it's not because of Nagoshi.

Where are these sales figures coming from? Any sources?

nope, over the past 5 years, prior to Yakuza 5 the series was basically dead here with 20-30k average and sales were decreasing at any chapter with the lowest being yakuza dead souls who killed the franchise in the west...
It took Atlus team and a lot of effort to save the series, still the best selling in the west is at 100k with Yakuza 6, not huge number in the west.

The "20 years ago" objection is a nonsense.

Also if we want to make proportions, Shenmue sold 1.2 million on a 10 milllion console
Yakuza reach 1 million with multiple rereleases + asian market on 100 million consoles...

Where are these sales figures coming from? Any sources?

I debunked that crap a month ago with solid numbers

Lemme try and find the post...

Found it:

Suzaku tried to argue that, "6 was the best-selling title in the west," when it was ACTUALLY 3, until 0 came out and 0 probably sold better.

Guy is just being difficult and incessant, because he hates Yakuza/Nagoshi/Sega/whatever.

I debunked that crap a month ago with solid numbers

Lemme try and find the post...

Found it:

Suzaku tried to argue that, "6 was the best-selling title in the west," when it was ACTUALLY 3, until 0 came out and 0 probably sold better.

So you are that rancorous guy...the only solid numbers in that topic came some posts later from me, you made lots of confusion there.

also a big LOL at your "until 0 came out and 0 probably sold better",
So, you dare to accuse other of BS basing everything on your own suppositions?

Heck, these Yakuza fanboys are really annoying.

Guy is just being difficult and incessant, because he hates Yakuza/Nagoshi/Sega/whatever.

A simple life lesson:

questioning something doesn't mean hate that same thing

Lmao. I'm not a Yakuza fanboy. I would much rather see a fully budgeted Shenmue developed by Sega than a new Yakuza game, but I'm also not blind and can comprehend why Sega is continuing to invest in Yakuza instead of other series. I have no idea how you can genuinely believe Shenmue selling a million copies 20 years ago on the Dreamcast is comparable to anything Yakuza is doing for Sega in 2020.

Back