SegaSammy should take back Shenmue.

Ok, but I clearly quoted another guy mjq, basing on your reaction I'm starting to wonder if truck101 is the only yakuza fanboy here...

But leaving this apart, we have two series that both reached 1 million during their history, and that have similar numbers when they are in the same conditions in this current gen (Shenmue HD and Yakuza 3,4,5 HD), what's so difficult to understand about both series having originally the same potential?

Last edited:
When I make 2,000 posts on a Yakuza forum or spend $1500 on a Yakuza sequel I’ll own up to being a Yakuza fanboy.

Let's move away from the Yakuza v Shenmue stuff. It's been done to death in here.

Any Shenmue entry can be a million+ seller. But Suzuki needs AAA budget & not the same dumb publishing strategy that ended up killing the first two titles. And marketing. No alpha/beta shots and get someone who can splice and edit a proper trailer while a good community manager to engage the fan-base. Deep silver ignored us majority of the time and it burned some bridges in the end.

Any Shenmue entry can be a million+ seller. But Suzuki needs AAA budget & not the same dumb publishing strategy that ended up killing the first two titles. And marketing. No alpha/beta shots and get someone who can splice and edit a proper trailer while a good community manager to engage the fan-base. Deep silver ignored us majority of the time and it burned some bridges in the end.

That's the point, you must give the series a real chance to shine.
When (the only time) it was given with Shenmue 1, it achieved more than a million on a modest 10 million userbase.

But the series never got another fair chance, S2 was penalized by Sega abandoning the DC, S3 as a crowdfunded game with lots of negativity since the very beginning and awful marketing (the few times when there was any marketing).

It's not like Shenmue is a niche hermetic game that can't be understood by the masses or something, on the contrary it even showed its potential recently as the best videogame Kickstarter project and with the great sales of Shenmue HD edition despite the collection being technically awful and with barely any support by Sega.

But we can't go back to the topic "Sega Sammy should take back Shenmue" without understanding that current Sega management (Nagoshi and co.) has no intention of working directly on Shenmue or any other classic Sega IPs.

Last edited:
In an ideal world everything I like should be extremely popular and well financed. I agree. Shame that's not how it works.

So you are that rancorous guy...the only solid numbers in that topic came some posts later from me, you made lots of confusion there.

also a big LOL at your "until 0 came out and 0 probably sold better",

Because I don't have 0's numbers, but I have the other games; a kid could figure that out.

Now name-calling and insulting? Yup, guess someone is taking it personally...

BTW, what series am I a bigger fan of?

No photo description available.

You REALLY need to stop taking things personally and, clearly, get a clue.

Done with this conversation.

when you accuse someone else of posting BS, you must be certain of what you say, not "probably" "maybe" etc.

Also when you accuse someone to be "difficult", "incessant" and call my posts "crap", you are already taking it on a personal level, this should be clear.

Please don't post tattoos as a proof, that's pathetic, also being a Yakuza fanboy doesn't mean that you can't be a fanboy of many other things.

My personal read of Nagoshi: he's neutral to Shenmue--it is not his game and was the last time he worked with his mentor. By the time he was there he probably didn't want to be, and had plans of Monkey Ball and Yakuza delayed because of Suzuki/Shenmue needs when he wanted to go on his own. Don't really see anything deeper going into animosity and conspiracy to never do anything with AM2 again.

Aren't M2, deservedly, inheriting the torch for their 3D Ages, amongst other IPs? Why would all these Yu masterpieces be remastered by them with Sega if Nagoshi was so hellbent? Besides, Nagoshi is high up now, also deservedly, but he isn't the junior Hatomi; the one who brought us Genesis mini and allowed Shenmue/Streets of Rage/Panzer Dragoon to be revived--regardless of being licensed. Certainly better than remaining dormant.

Perfect world, Hatomi also convinces Sega to be further involved by having M2 make one last touch-up patch for Shenmue HD and also Shenmue 4, but not going to hold my breath. Neither should YSnet, which I don't think they are... if anything they should also be looking for opportunity outside of Deep Silver, as well.

EDIT sorry @spud1897 was already typing a bit into my post before I saw yours.

Sega is an extremely risk adverse company. They are fine licensing franchises to other companies to take the risk and just receive the benefits but it is mostly having an almost 0 risk policy for the games it still develops in house. If I am not mistaken in 2019 Sega mostly relased remakes/remasters (a lot of them being Yakuza related) , Judgement, sonic racers 2, Sakura wars and the yearly Football manager.

I can not see them developing a Shenmue game any time soon.

What i not understand from this, is for example, Sakura Wars, is really a saga much more profitable that Shenmue?

I don't think so, on the latest segasammy report they also said that the latest games (sakura included) underperformed.

But like I said before, games like Sakura were greenlighted because it's one of the personal favourite franchise of Haruki Satomi (he was also directly involved in the development because of this), together with Valkyria anche Yakuza (guess what, the latest 3 active series produced in-house...).

At least they are outsourcing IP though now, so that's a start. New Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead seemed impossible a few years ago. With the Sonic movie also making mad bank, here's hoping they continue to experiment. I would love a new Shinobi or Golden Axe from Dotemu.

And of course Virtua Fighter 6 from AM2. Though I think it's more likely that series will also be rebooted and outsourced before that happens though.

I don't think so, on the latest segasammy report they also said that the latest games (sakura included) underperformed.

But like I said before, games like Sakura were greenlighted because it's one of the personal favourite franchise of Haruki Satomi (he was also directly involved in the development because of this), together with Valkyria anche Yakuza (guess what, the latest 3 active series produced in-house...).
Wasn't there a survey about old franchises a few years back? Maybe they did expected a better reception for the Sakura wars from those.

Wasn't there a survey about old franchises a few years back? Maybe they did expected a better reception for the Sakura wars from those.

Yup, sakura wars was also the winning series in that survey.
Personally I think Shin Sakura Taisen sales were good in Japan, especially when you take in consideration that the last game is from 2005 (15 years ago) and it was even the worst selling game in the series, so Sega probably had unrealistic expectations for this new chapter.

If any other company is big enough to purchase SEGA, it'll be a company so big they won't even care about Shenmue in their portfolio. Even for SEGA as it is, making a mid sized Shenmue title (bigger than III) would never risk them of closing shop or being in the red. In fact, for the last quarter, their Entertainment division alone generated over 12 millions dollars of profits. That's not the entire company as a whole which recorded 208.6 millions dollars of profits. In a single quarter.

No, it all comes down if financially, it's worth it to put 20 millions dollars in Shenmue when for that much money, you could make one or two Yakuza titles that'd generate two to three times more money each. Or you could make 4 to 5 lower grade games from other IPs that'd generate as a whole a lot more money than a Shenmue game. This is the reason, despite not generating losses, companies don't always bring back some IPs or games. Because that time, money and staff spent on a project would be better spent when it comes to profitability on other things.

And this is why SEGA is licensing those IPs, such as Shenmue, Streets of Rage or Wonderboy: They don't want to spend money on those IPs. They don't want to spend time or staff on those IPs. But keeping those asleep is also a waste of money and property. So they license them to 3rd parties to generate additionnal profits.
Except no Yakuza game has sold more than Shenmue. Shenmue I & II HD port sold about half what the most sold Yakuza games sold with sales estimated to be 250k+
If any other company is big enough to purchase SEGA, it'll be a company so big they won't even care about Shenmue in their portfolio. Even for SEGA as it is, making a mid sized Shenmue title (bigger than III) would never risk them of closing shop or being in the red. In fact, for the last quarter, their Entertainment division alone generated over 12 millions dollars of profits. That's not the entire company as a whole which recorded 208.6 millions dollars of profits. In a single quarter.

No, it all comes down if financially, it's worth it to put 20 millions dollars in Shenmue when for that much money, you could make one or two Yakuza titles that'd generate two to three times more money each. Or you could make 4 to 5 lower grade games from other IPs that'd generate as a whole a lot more money than a Shenmue game. This is the reason, despite not generating losses, companies don't always bring back some IPs or games. Because that time, money and staff spent on a project would be better spent when it comes to profitability on other things.

And this is why SEGA is licensing those IPs, such as Shenmue, Streets of Rage or Wonderboy: They don't want to spend money on those IPs. They don't want to spend time or staff on those IPs. But keeping those asleep is also a waste of money and property. So they license them to 3rd parties to generate additionnal profits.
Except Yakuza games has never surpassed Shenmue 1 sales.
Shenmue has 1.2 million sales and Yakuza never had reached even half that.
Shenmue 2 Was the one that only got around 1/10 of Shenmue I sales since the mistake of porting it on Xbox which got many people to pirate the game including myself, since there was no way I could buy it on Dreamcast during that time I didn't even had internet access or computer.
If Shenmue II was released on Dreamcast globally it would had been a completely different story.
Shenmue I & II sold actually Very well with sales estimated to be 250k+ not bad for a port.

Except no Yakuza game has sold more than Shenmue. Shenmue I & II HD port sold about half what the most sold Yakuza games sold with sales estimated to be 250k+
Except Yakuza games has never surpassed Shenmue 1 sales.
Shenmue has 1.2 million sales and Yakuza never had reached even half that.
Shenmue 2 Was the one that only got around 1/10 of Shenmue I sales since the mistake of porting it on Xbox which got many people to pirate the game including myself, since there was no way I could buy it on Dreamcast during that time I didn't even had internet access or computer.
If Shenmue II was released on Dreamcast globally it would had been a completely different story.
Shenmue I & II sold actually Very well with sales estimated to be 250k+ not bad for a port.

Except Yakuza is cheaper to make than Shenmue.

And your figure for Shenmue I is far from being official.

Back