Shadow of Memories/Destiny - Have Shenmue fans played this?

Hi,
I wanted to talk about one of my favourite games of all time because I think really a lot of Shenmue fans will enjoy it also!

The game plays like a 3D Point n' Click Adventure but you have control of the main character using the D-Pad... yes that is a big deal to me!

But what is so captivating about this game is the plot! Summary, you're murdered in the street one day and then are taken to a state of Limbo, where you meet Homunculus - A half-being. Who gives you the power of time travel through a device that looks like a modern day tablet :p The concept of the game is to utilise Time Travel to go back to prior the moments of your death and manipulate events to erase that fate!

I really dig this concept and the story branches out to having you go back quite far in history sometimes to change one minor detail which ripples effects within the future!

The game is heavily narrative driven and you spend most of your time going back in time and finding objects needed to utilise in avoiding your characters death - the cool thing is there isn't just a linear way to succeed, your actions in an earlier chapter can change the route the story goes in later chapters. The game rewards exploration in thinking, as there are multiple ways to beat the chapters objective depending on the resources you can get.

The game also has a setting which just stood out to me nearly as much a Yokoska, going back in-time and seeing the similar layout in a different time is really fascinating. Like Shenmue, You meet townsfolk and become involved in their situations, sometimes even meeting their descendants in the past!

Also, the games story is genuinely good and features different endings which expand the story - Also like Shenmue I find in replaying the game there's always little cutscenes of features that surprise me just from playing the game differently.

I was just curious if anyone else has played this game it's on PC, Xbox, PS2 & Even PSP! While it's not similar in aesthetic and tone, I feel the actual gameplay and focus on narrative really connects closely to Shenmue. If you've never head of it I highly advise checking it out

Last edited:
I have read about it in the gaming magazines of the day and also found it quite interesting but for some reasons I was never able to play it. :(. Your post renewed my interest in though so i will try to get it finally after many years.

Really funny you mention, because I read about the game way back during 6th gen and came to my own conclusion of beign a bit Shenmue-esque, similar to how Omikron reminds me of Shenmue...

Only time I ever found in wild a few years back, I sadly passed for some asinine reason. Literally just ordered off ebay and will be arriving tomorrow.

@xatruio - Oh neat! I hope you enjoy it! What version did you get?

I think what really impressed me so much about it was the notion of an interactive narrative within a game, still to this day I haven't seen many games really approach this - TellTale & Quantic Dream of course come to mind & even Atlus's Catherine! It really blew me away and not just that but the story itself is compelling in general too, still I love going back to it. I just think as Video games are an interactive medium actually having the players decisions/actions effecting the story is what the industry should be exploring more. Supermassive Games who did Until Dawn have a new title coming out next month which should follow a similar structure, heard it's also co-op too!

In NA, it was PS2 exclusive as Shadow of Destiny. Well, eventually there was a random late PSP port, but I got the PS2 original.

I remember playing it on emu (or in my cellphone in a psp emu, can't remember).

Very cool game, I love most of actual contemporary urban games, the creator also made a VN for DS that also had time travel (and the story was somewhat better).

Still trying to play Glass Rose, seems kinda similar.

Dude, I freaking love this game! It's one of the first PS2 games I ever got. I had never heard of it, but it was cheap and I thought it looked cool, so I picked it up. The story and puzzles are amazing.

I'll echo the recommendation for Shenmue fans.

I never got around to replaying it for the different endings, but I've read their descriptions online and they really do add revelations and new context to the story.

My only dislike was never having the time to explore the town at leisure, because you're always against the clock to prevent your death at a set moment.

Trivia: Humunculus is played by Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario.

I am going to order my ps2 copy soon, after my ps2 component cable has arrived. Been a while since I have been interested in ps2 games so I have not upgraded the ps2 yet to Standards to get the best out of it with my Framemeister upscaler. But recently my interest in ps2 games came back, so i finally decided to adjust the console for using it on the Framemeister. That's why i ordered a component cable.

But recently my interest in ps2 games came back, so i finally decided to adjust the console for using it on the Framemeister.

If you're going to be on the hunt for PS2 games you should start a topic for recommendations. I was about to drop some but didn't want to derail this one.

Hi,
View attachment 3601View attachment 3602
I wanted to talk about one of my favourite games of all time because I think really a lot of Shenmue fans will enjoy it also!

The game plays like a 3D Point n' Click Adventure but you have control of the main character using the D-Pad... yes that is a big deal to me!

But what is so captivating about this game is the plot! Summary, you're murdered in the street one day and then are taken to a state of Limbo, where you meet Homunculus - A half-being. Who gives you the power of time travel through a device that looks like a modern day tablet :p The concept of the game is to utilise Time Travel to go back to prior the moments of your death and manipulate events to erase that fate!

I really dig this concept and the story branches out to having you go back quite far in history sometimes to change one minor detail which ripples effects within the future!

The game is heavily narrative driven and you spend most of your time going back in time and finding objects needed to utilise in avoiding your characters death - the cool thing is there isn't just a linear way to succeed, your actions in an earlier chapter can change the route the story goes in later chapters. The game rewards exploration in thinking, as there are multiple ways to beat the chapters objective depending on the resources you can get.

The game also has a setting which just stood out to me nearly as much a Yokoska, going back in-time and seeing the similar layout in a different time is really fascinating. Like Shenmue, You meet townsfolk and become involved in their situations, sometimes even meeting their descendants in the past!

Also, the games story is genuinely good and features different endings which expand the story - Also like Shenmue I find in replaying the game there's always little cutscenes of features that surprise me just from playing the game differently.

I was just curious if anyone else has played this game it's on PC, Xbox, PS2 & Even PSP! While it's not similar in aesthetic and tone, I feel the actual gameplay and focus on narrative really connects closely to Shenmue. If you've never head of it I highly advise checking it out
I want to play this game. I've tried to find the PAL version for PS2 but I can't find it. I can't even find a Rom for PCSX2. I've just downloaded the emulator but can't find any games. There's youtube playthrough videos that I can watch but I want to play it by my self. If anyone can help, let me know. (y)

It's not usually to hard to find online, here in the UK there's many eBay listings:
I actually found a place online where I can buy it in my country! I just had to dig a little.
I wish there were more games similar to this and Shenmue.
Out of 10, what score would give it? Some reviews say there isn't much to explore but that the story with its multiple endings is what makes it good.

For me it is a 10, I'm very attached to it much like I am with Shenmue but that obviously won't apply to everybody - Even like Shenmue being introduced to new players, some mechanics may seem dated but the atmosphere, charm and compelling narrative sells it for me.

The game has a plenty of exploration, there's a very similar community feel much like in Shenmue 1. With this game you have the ability to go back in time and see peoples relatives through out the ages. There's a lot of little extra scenes which you could miss sort of like Shenmue and they're equally a treat when you find them. The NPC's have limited phrases in conversation - but you can sometimes show them items which get a reaction and like in Shenmue when you progress to a new objective there is usually something new.

The interactivity in the narrative is more than just different endings. There is one decision mid game which will sort of split the endings in half & then on the last chapter you have a few different options to explore to get a certain ending. But part of the fun is the exploration. Some chapters have different ways you can complete it which then changes aspects in later chapters.

The game is very similar to a classic point and click adventure, but with out the distraction of the point and click element - Controlling Eike with the D-Pad just feels much more compelling to me. But I've also found the game to be more forgiving than a lot of point n' click A's as many of them I have played in the past often require you to do a certain thing in order to progress which is often not identified, I never had such issue with Shadow of Memories.

The only downside in the exploration is the time mechanic - every second you spend in the past runs parallel to the present and if you reach the time of your death in the present it's game over in t he past too. Everytime you talk to someone you lose 30 seconds to1 min of in-game time which sometimes feels like a punishment but the game isn't very long so even when I'm being too indulgent in exploration I don't feel cheated as it's easy to load up again with a save point at every chapter.

Also I wouldn't say it has little side pass-times like arcade games or capsule machines etc. the objective in the chapter is always apparent. There a re some little fun things you can do like the Cupcake sidequest to which you can bring some items to a character - but there is no real in-game reward per say ... still it feels nice to do :p I made a video on this (I do have another one follow this couple which always miss each other throughout the game which I need to still edit):

It's just a very unique gaming expeirence, to this day I've never played anything like it.

Last edited:
For me it is a 10, I'm very attached to it much like I am with Shenmue but that obviously won't apply to everybody - Even like Shenmue being introduced to new players, some mechanics may seem dated but the atmosphere, charm and compelling narrative sells it for me.

The game has a plenty of exploration, there's a very similar community feel much like in Shenmue 1. With this game you have the ability to go back in time and see peoples relatives through out the ages. There's a lot of little extra scenes which you could miss sort of like Shenmue and they're equally a treat when you find them. The NPC's have limited phrases in conversation - but you can sometimes show them items which get a reaction and like in Shenmue when you progress to a new objective there is usually something new.

The interactivity in the narrative is more than just different endings. There is one decision mid game which will sort of split the endings in half & then on the last chapter you have a few different options to explore to get a certain ending. But part of the fun is the exploration. Some chapters have different ways you can complete it which then changes aspects in later chapters.

The game is very similar to a classic point and click adventure, but with out the distraction of the point and click element - Controlling Eike with the D-Pad just feels much more compelling to me. But I've also found the game to be more forgiving than a lot of point n' click A's as many of them I have played in the past often require you to do a certain thing in order to progress which is often not identified, I never had such issue with Shadow of Memories.

The only downside in the exploration is the time mechanic - every second you spend in the past runs parallel to the present and if you reach the time of your death in the present it's game over in t he past too. Everytime you talk to someone you lose 30 seconds to1 min of in-game time which sometimes feels like a punishment but the game isn't very long so even when I'm being too indulgent in exploration I don't feel cheated as it's easy to load up again with a save point at every chapter.

Also I wouldn't say it has little side pass-times like arcade games or capsule machines etc. the objective in the chapter is always apparent. There a re some little fun things you can do like the Cupcake sidequest to which you can bring some items to a character - but there is no real in-game reward per say ... still it feels nice to do :p I made a video on this (I do have another one follow this couple which always miss each other throughout the game which I need to still edit):

It's just a very unique gaming expeirence, to this day I've never played anything like it.
Thanks for this info. I like games that are different like this. It has some charm to it that I like. I remember when this game was released I thought about buying it after reading a review on it, but I never did for some reason. It sounds like it's definitely worth playing! And I'd like to add that I like that PS2 graphics. I don't know why, I just do. There's some charm to DC, PS2 and even PS1 graphics, and Sega Saturn as well. It has that nostalgic ´dreamy´ tone to it that newer games just don't have. I'm very forgiving with older games when it comes to its looks and mechanics. Maybe because I grew up with them. Anyways, if I get my hands on this game in time, I'll play it and tell you what I thought about it :D

Hi again! I just wanted to say that I've now completed my first playthrough. I got the E -ending.
I really liked this game, despite its flaws. I agree with your points about it's downsides but it didn't bother me that much. This game has inspired me. I wish the creators had more time to put in more details in every aspect to the game and I wish it was longer. I don't know if there is a ´true ending´ but I'll see. I liked the details in the library/museum, especially the cats walking around the house. And I loved the little girl Sibylla from 1902. So sweet and I felt sorry for her for being so lonely. I also liked Margarete and Eckart. But the others were good too. This game has a special feel to it for sure. I wish something like this was made anew with a similar European/German Architecture and overall look. Defenetly a rare gem and it's not going anywhere. It stays in my colleciton. 👍

Hurray!

Glad you enjoyed it! That reminds me I need to work on another Sidequest video with Sibylla - i can't remember if I did it on my recent Let's Play. I'll try get that done this. Much like the cupcake quest it isn't about personal gain but spreading joy to the people around you.

As for the endings, I think E has a few interesting aspects but it is far from my favourite. I think A is considered the best ( Well there is even a special ending beyond that :p) but D is by far the most compelling as it really changes perspective on the story. One of the endings (I think Ending C) Is just awful and I feel sorry for anyone who gets that one 1st time :p

I'm looking for more similar type games and have been eyeing the DreamFall series. It has a Point n Click prequel in The Longest Journey which is the only thing putting me off. But I might try endure it as I have heard it is decent. I just feel many point n Click games demand you to do 1 specific thing in order to progress and you need to figure it out - where as in SoM it's more forgiving as you have multiple ways to tack the chapters - Of course if you horse around too long time will get you, but it beats being stuck for hours because I don't put item A with item B.

EDIT:
Had a bit of time and went through my let's play to make another walkthrough video. I'ts a little rough but good enough as a guide on how to do it:

Last edited:
Hurray!

Glad you enjoyed it! That reminds me I need to work on another Sidequest video with Sibylla - i can't remember if I did it on my recent Let's Play. I'll try get that done this. Much like the cupcake quest it isn't about personal gain but spreading joy to the people around you.

As for the endings, I think E has a few interesting aspects but it is far from my favourite. I think A is considered the best ( Well there is even a special ending beyond that :p) but D is by far the most compelling as it really changes perspective on the story. One of the endings (I think Ending C) Is just awful and I feel sorry for anyone who gets that one 1st time :p

I'm looking for more similar type games and have been eyeing the DreamFall series. It has a Point n Click prequel in The Longest Journey which is the only thing putting me off. But I might try endure it as I have heard it is decent. I just feel many point n Click games demand you to do 1 specific thing in order to progress and you need to figure it out - where as in SoM it's more forgiving as you have multiple ways to tack the chapters - Of course if you horse around too long time will get you, but it beats being stuck for hours because I don't put item A with item B.

EDIT:
Had a bit of time and went through my let's play to make another walkthrough video. I'ts a little rough but good enough as a guide on how to do it:
Yeah, I liked the way they structured this game with multiple ways to finish the chapters. I truly enjoyed this game. The time travelling theme is so interesting. The only thing I felt when I was done with it was that I wanted more and to explore more of the past.

I liked how you could look around the rooms in first person perspective. I did not expect that. I was like, wow! It's like Shenmue now, yay. The kittens in the kitchen was just a cherry on the top. Very well animated as well.

Shadow of Memories did not only inspire me for what it had, but it also inspired me with ideas of how it could look like on a modern console. Not graphically but in terms of content, choices and details.

I may try those sidequests later on. I think I'll watch the whole thing later because I try to avoid any spoilers. 🙂
Regarding the endings; I hope there is one that gets rid of that artificial being. His/her voice is just creepy.
You know what I thought was the creepiest?-It was when you ran out of time (or energy units) and died. That scream. 😨
Yikes.

I may try out DreamFall. If you play it before I do, your opinion is very welcome.

Have you played Syberia? I thought about buying 1 & 2 for the PS2 and later try out the 3rd. I felt so sorry for the developers that their 3rd game got such a low score. Some gave it 3 or 4 /10. That is just unfair. I think they put a lot of work on that game. But people say the story is good and that the gameplay is the problem. Visually the game looks quite good to me. By the way, I saw a new trailer for Syberia 4 and It looks promising.
I'm curious about these games. I know nothing about them except they have at least some puzzles + that mysterious atmosphere that I like ... aw. I just made a search and discovered that they released the trilogy exclusively on switch but I don't own one. I have the PS4. Hope the PS2-versions is good enough because I have three fat PS2 consoles that needs to be used.

I tried Syberia and like other point and click/adventure games I felt that it was too stiff in its ways - having you only progress through one precise action which would lead to getting stuck often. So wasn't to keen on it. There is also a PS3 HD Collection of the 1st & 2nd game.

I finally got around to making the video walkthrough to find the lost young couple in the town - I needed only a little more footage today but found myself spending hours exploring again :p Even today I found out a bout a couple of new scenes which I haven't seen and I've been playing this game since the PS2 days :p

I tried Syberia and like other point and click/adventure games I felt that it was too stiff in its ways - having you only progress through one precise action which would lead to getting stuck often. So wasn't to keen on it. There is also a PS3 HD Collection of the 1st & 2nd game.

I finally got around to making the video walkthrough to find the lost young couple in the town - I needed only a little more footage today but found myself spending hours exploring again :p Even today I found out a bout a couple of new scenes which I haven't seen and I've been playing this game since the PS2 days :p

I might give Syberia a try anyways. I got a PS3 as well.

Nice. I tried to figure out how to help the woman with the suitcase.

Back