Shadow of Memories/Destiny - Have Shenmue fans played this?

I read up recently about the PSP version having an alternative version to the lost couple elsewhere - and so it did! It took a lot more effort as you had to find them as they moved around within the same chapters + you had to do the same young couple quest in the present to reach a conclusion - well there's no appearance of the man in chapter 8 if you don't anyway. So I made another video exploring it today - it's a lot longer as I felt i show how to get to them too.

In the games defense there is a narrative reason as to why Eike is considered less interesting than some of the characters he encounters - mind you Ryo has faced similar criticism for his interaction skills but I think both are more than serviceable and very likeable. But with Eike especially there is strong narrative reasoning, I won't spoil it but the games Ending D explains it all (I also think this is the most compelling ending of all!)

I'm sorting hoping after Konami's Release of Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2 on GOG that we me say this game get similar treatment. However, I'm not sure if they have the rights to the original voice acting. I don't know all the details but I know there was a lot of issue for Konami regarding the voice acting rights for Silent Hill 2 & 3 - which is why Silent Hill 3's HD re-release on PS3/360 had a new set of voice overs. Shadow of Memories got a PSP port which also features a new set of voice acting - not terrible but I prefer the original still. But I am wondering if this change is in the same vain as the Shilent Hill HD Collection & if so moving the PC release might not be as simple - As the PC release features the original voice acting.

Made another video, showing the dialogue variations of a particular scene when re-done. The last scene is pretty fun so I have started the video there but put all the previous scenes in the video for context:

I've also been adding some Artwork from the Japans official guide, not seen much media online for the game so thought I'd help. I've never used a Fandom site before so still getting used to it but you can see the artwork scans here:

Last edited:
Yes! I have now finished all the endings. I liked the B1 ending and the A ending. The Ex ending was good but..

Did Eckarts daughter (the baby) and his wife survive..? Were they never killed in this ending? Why did the ball kicking kid look like Hugo?If Margarete actucally was Eckarts daughter and the artificial being never came to life.. what happened with the past if he never mixed up the babies? Didn't Dana (dressed in Red) actually belong to the past?

I probably got something wrong. Other than that this game was amazingly good for being so old.
Sadly, there won't be a sequel or a remake of this one.

Yes! I have now finished all the endings. I liked the B1 ending and the A ending. The Ex ending was good but..

Did Eckarts daughter (the baby) and his wife survive..? Were they never killed in this ending? Why did the ball kicking kid look like Hugo?If Margarete actually was Eckarts daughter and the artificial being never came to life.. what happened with the past if he never mixed up the babies? Didn't Dana (dressed in Red) actually belong to the past?

I probably got something wrong. Other than that this game was amazingly good for being so old.
Sadly, there won't be a sequel or a remake of this one.
When it comes to the EX. Ending, I like to think of it as a 'What if' scenario rather than the canon Ending (Could be wrong on that though :p)

Some of the details you asked in regards to Miriam & the baby are explored within Chapter 6, it does take a little effort though :) But if you mean jsut by going on Ex's ending, that's up for interpretation. The incident could have still happened. Homunculus didn't shoot Miriam but turned up at the right time to snatch the baby. & Yes you're correct about the origins of the girls :)

As for the boy who looks like Hugo, my theory is going by Ex's ending both 'Hugo' & 'Eike' we see in that scene aren't them characters at all but future relatives from the Wagner family back in 1500. Throughout the game we see many relatives looking very similar so I think it is the case with these two individuals too.

Glad you had fun with it! I still keep finding little moments years later - Like in Chapter 1, I never knew if you waited unti lthe Bar opens in the past (14:00), you can actually inform the Barman of a fire! Usually I'd run to the back of the bar and chase the criminal away so to see an alterntative way to tackle this chapter was great!

When it comes to the EX. Ending, I like to think of it as a 'What if' scenario rather than the canon Ending (Could be wrong on that though :p)

Some of the details you asked in regards to Miriam & the baby are explored within Chapter 6, it does take a little effort though :) But if you mean jsut by going on Ex's ending, that's up for interpretation. The incident could have still happened. Homunculus didn't shoot Miriam but turned up at the right time to snatch the baby. & Yes you're correct about the origins of the girls :)

As for the boy who looks like Hugo, my theory is going by Ex's ending both 'Hugo' & 'Eike' we see in that scene aren't them characters at all but future relatives from the Wagner family back in 1500. Throughout the game we see many relatives looking very similar so I think it is the case with these two individuals too.

Glad you had fun with it! I still keep finding little moments years later - Like in Chapter 1, I never knew if you waited unti lthe Bar opens in the past (14:00), you can actually inform the Barman of a fire! Usually I'd run to the back of the bar and chase the criminal away so to see an alterntative way to tackle this chapter was great!
Very interesting!
Yeah I know he didn't shoot her, but who did it? I intuitively thought Hugo did it. I defenetly liked ending A.
But in a way Ex was better but it didn't have enough details I think.

Do you have any favorite character(s) in the game?

Maybe Hugo did, but I haven't seen much evidence to back this up - Maybe the motive was to blackmail Mr. Eckart? But I really think this was the action of desperate criminal in the Era - & Homonculus turned up at the right time for the Baby plan. As for Endings, my favourite is D as I feel it is by far the most compelling in how it shows Dr. Wagners fate and what it means for Eike.
As for characters there are many I adore, much like how I felt with Shenmue 1 many of the NPC's have so much charm and are very well defined. Oleg Franssen is one of my favourites with his quirky - & Powers which are to be reckoned with :p

My favourite however is Mr. Eckart. He's such a tragic character and the remorse he feels as he confessed to Eike is so tangible! One of my favourite quotes from any form of media is within that conversation:
That comb - it made me realize something. There are people in your life who care about you - such an obvious fact really. No one is alone, and for every death, there's hell to pay for everyone around them. Sometimes, it isn't just memories that are left behind, it's pain, and sorrow. I should know better than anyone else After everything I went through all those years ago.
How about you? :)

As for characters there are many I adore, much like how I felt with Shenmue 1 many of the NPC's have so much charm and are very well defined. Oleg Franssen is one of my favourites with his quirky - & Powers which are to be reckoned with :p

My favourite however is Mr. Eckart. He's such a tragic character and the remorse he feels as he confessed to Eike is so tangible! One of my favourite quotes from any form of media is within that conversation:

How about you? :)
I like Eckart, Margarete and Sibylla. I think I like Eckart the most because he feels more ´real´ and developed as a character.
But if Sibylla had more story to her as a character I might liked her as much as Eckart. She's so lonely. It's like she had a story of her own to tell.
Hugo was creepy, especially the old version of him. I did not expect to see that, I was like WHAT!?.

Since I've plugged in my PS2 playing this game I've started playing other PS2 games in my collection. Do you have any more titles you recommend?

Been a while since I've posted here, as I've been working hard on sorting out a Fandom Wiki Page for Shadow of Memories!

I wouldn't say it is finished, but it's certainly come a long way! I just wanted there to be a place where people can explore the game with Character Profiles, Location Details, Items, Artwork and more!

I've spent quite a while gathering screenshots (6'500+ At the moment...) and figuring out what NPC is in what location within each Chapter, and trying to make the place fun and accessible to navigate. I've tried my best to make it spoiler free too, I've separated all the plot details into separate pages and at least put Spoiler Warnings on the pages where it concerns.

So yes, if you have a moment, feel free to have a look, I really love this game and think it is something which can appeal to players who loved Shenmue for the sense of being in an active world. Of courser more than anything I recommend you experience the games itself :)

Shdow I see.JPG

Been a while since I've posted here, as I've been working hard on sorting out a Fandom Wiki Page for Shadow of Memories!

I wouldn't say it is finished, but it's certainly come a long way! I just wanted there to be a place where people can explore the game with Character Profiles, Location Details, Items, Artwork and more!

I've spent quite a while gathering screenshots (6'500+ At the moment...) and figuring out what NPC is in what location within each Chapter, and trying to make the place fun and accessible to navigate. I've tried my best to make it spoiler free too, I've separated all the plot details into separate pages and at least put Spoiler Warnings on the pages where it concerns.

So yes, if you have a moment, feel free to have a look, I really love this game and think it is something which can appeal to players who loved Shenmue for the sense of being in an active world. Of courser more than anything I recommend you experience the games itself :)

View attachment 10368
Well done mate. You're very good at this!
Man, it would be nice with a remake or even a sequel. It would be so awesome.
Btw I love that piano/harp music at Eckarts house.

I've played this and I absolutely love it. Not only is it one of the only games to actually succeed in accomplishing a good time travel narrative with little to no errors, but it has a great story, several enjoyable endings and even the bonus of playing through the game again with the protagonist fully aware of the events of the game.

It's part of the "charming small town investigation" games that Japan does so well, like Shenmue, Deadly Premonition and Mizzurna Falls.

Over the last year or so I've been working on a Fandom page for Shadow of Memories / Shadow of Destiny. I've most recently made a Youtube Channel which offers walkthrough guides and secret scenes. I was inspired to make this after getting stuck on a Resident Evil game and not knowing how to get an item and thought it would be neat to offer helpful videos to people whom should play Shadow of Memories. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and today I've completed a walkthrough guide for every item in the game! So I thought I'd post it here too! I have plenty more videos planned and work to do to the Wiki site but I feel it is in a decent enough state for peopel to see. So if you have a moment please feel free to check it out:
Youtube - https://youtube.com/channel/UC5iu997K9_zHim6xtfmx-vw
Wiki - https://shadowofmemories.fandom.com/wiki/Shadow_of_Memories_Wiki

There's also a realy good twitter fan page!

Dunno why I haven't played yet... been sitting on my shelf for a few years now and have the Pound HDMI for a couple years.

I also need to finally order my copy of the game. Always when I read about i really find it intruiging but then I always forget to get a ps2 copy .

@Vivi-gamer Thanks for sharing your yt channel and the fandompage i will check them out later.

In case anyone is interestd I have now added a Playlist for the Soundtrack - it's not every track in the game but the ones sampled in the Juxebox Mode:

I've also toyed with a video to show a sense of explorration the game has. It's a tour of the games Art Musuem - With short clips inspired by the paintings to jog Eikes memory ^_^

Last edited:
Just got a sealed copy in from ebay! While it is abandonware on pc, I enjoyed the game enough on my playthroughs about 2 years ago so I went and finally bought a physical copy. I'll open it whenever I get to my next playthrough of it.

20220214_152826.jpg
20220214_152845.jpg

Attachments

• 20220214_152845.jpg
    20220214_152845.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
So jelly! Our PC vesion is just in a standard DVD case :p I really wish they released it on PC via Steam or Gog.com like they did the Metal Gear games they did recently.

So jelly! Our PC vesion is just in a standard DVD case :p I really wish they released it on PC via Steam or Gog.com like they did the Metal Gear games they did recently.
Yeah kinda strange that there isn't a re-release. It has a cult following n' all. Anyway I couldn't help myself and decided to open it. Suprised that there is just a jewel case and an insert inside, I guess this was a budget PC release haha. Maybe I'll make some custom fan art for the jewel case someday, who knows!
20220214_235439.jpg

Back