spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Matt sits down with Digital Foundry Legend John Linneman. They discuss the infamous cancelled Shenmue Remaster, Dragon and Phoenix, Anime and how DF actually manage to pump out the insane amount of quality content that they do!

Thank you to John for taking the time to talk to us.

Catch the Youtube version here:

Or on the podcast provider of your choice!

This is the last interview of 2021. Thank you to all who have supported this series in the year this has been running. The series will return in early 2022, with guests already lined up to come on the show!

Another fantastic interview. I absolutely adore John’s work at DF, his retro series in particular is so well presented and I think even if you aren’t overtly familiar with technical aspects he always makes things easily digestible and understandable.

The one piece of interview that I thought was very interesting, was when he spoke of speaking to former members of Shenmue’s original development and how many of them found that period extremely stressful, dare I say traumatic. I know Suzuki stated that getting his team to understand his vision and original proposal was very hard because there was no blue print to follow, nor really had a game this ambitious ever been created. The fact there is this hang over from a tumultuous development, it appears John thinks this is why Sega were very reticent to discuss or bring up Shenmue. If at all possible I would like to hear him expand on this but thought it was a very interesting kernel.

Also look forward to podcast series next year. These interviews have been informative and well put together so thanks for all the work @spud1897

Another fantastic interview. I absolutely adore John’s work at DF, his retro series in particular is so well presented and I think even if you aren’t overtly familiar with technical aspects he always makes things easily digestible and understandable.

The one piece of interview that I thought was very interesting, was when he spoke of speaking to former members of Shenmue’s original development and how many of them found that period extremely stressful, dare I say traumatic. I know Suzuki stated that getting his team to understand his vision and original proposal was very hard because there was no blue print to follow, nor really had a game this ambitious ever been created. The fact there is this hang over from a tumultuous development, it appears John thinks this is why Sega were very reticent to discuss or bring up Shenmue. If at all possible I would like to hear him expand on this but thought it was a very interesting kernel.

Also look forward to podcast series next year. These interviews have been informative and well put together so thanks for all the work @spud1897
Appreciate you taking the time to listen to them. It's crazy they've been going a year now.

I'll return early if we get someone from the Anime to agree to come on. Otherwise it will be early 2022 with my first guest all but confirmed.

We've got a podcast to record before Xmas so there's still content to follow!

Back