Shen-Pals: A Worldwide Play Through of Shenmue 1&2

Shenmue AM2 Podcast

Check us out on iTunes and YouTube
Hello,

Andrew from the Shenmue AM2 Podcast here!

I have a cool idea that I would like to try. I would like to assemble an international team of people to play through a single save file of Shenmue 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast.

My plan is as follows:

I would start a save file for the PAL version of Shenmue 1. I would play through the first disc of the game and then mail the memory card to someone else for them to play through disc two. They would then send the memory card to someone else to play disc three and so on and so forth. This would culminate with seventh person saving the game before entering the cave at the end of disc four in Shenmue 2 and the memory card being sent back to me, so I could finish the game. I would like to include a journal with the memory card that each of the seven people could write entries in and forward along with the memory card to the following person. Ideally each person would make notes in the journal about what details they are starting with when the memory card arrived in their mail box (gacha figures, items, money, moves, notebook entries, etc...) and it would essentially become a time capsule of the playthrough. Seven people playing through all seven discs of Shenmue on the Dreamcast.

So who exactly am I looking for? Well, here are the qualifications:

Must own PAL region copies of Shenmue and Shenmue 2 for the Sega Dreamcast
Must be able to both read and write in English
Must be willing to share their Shenmue origin story
Must be familiar with the details of the story and playthrough details of both games
Ideally, I would like a combination of male and female candidates
I am looking to make this as worldwide of a project as possible, so candidates from across the globe are welcome
Must not be a resident of Canada (I already have that part covered myself)
Must have reasonable access to a post office to be able to mail the items to the next team member
Must have a PayPal Account (I would need to reimburse you for some postal costs of shipping the items to the next person)

If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, please shoot me a message.

Last edited:
You want us to send you our Dreamcasts n Shenmue games?

You want us to send you love letters in reverse kanji? Coz I did that one already and you said we're just friends.

You want us to send you love letters in reverse kanji? Coz I did that one already and you said we're just friends.
Way ahead of you, babe:

gilf.png

Xia-san had to put a towel on the ground after reading that.

It doesn't sound like a bad idea tbh, especially with the clear cut-off points that the discs provide. It's just a shame that, whilst there's plenty of hidden content, the Shenmue games don't have branching narratives that can have a direct impact on the following player.

This is a really cool idea. Would love to get involved but sadly my Dreamcasts are all in storage back in the UK. Hope you’re able to get a team together though.

If not, I’d definitely be down for doing this through emulation. Might make things a bit easier that way whilst also allowing people outside of pal regions to get involved as well as saving on postage.

Back