Shenmue 1 - Satellite view & isometric view of the whole world (warning: very large images!)

Thanks to this great tool made by PhilYeahz and LemonHaze (and maybe other guys?), I've been able to extract the main parts of the map of Shenmue and stitch them together to create this satellite view of the world. It's a mix of regular and beta assets (available in the retail Dreamcast version of the game).

Yamanose and Sakuragaoka fit really well by default, as if at one moment they were supposed to be a single map. Next to Sakuragaoka there is a (closed) road to go on top of a moutain but there is nothing anymore here, guess there must have been another village or something to visit here but was scrapped during the development of the game.

SATELLITE VIEW: View attachment shenmueMap.jpg / Smaller version here
ISOMETRIC VIEW: View attachment threequarterview.jpg / Smaller version here

Last edited:
Fascinating to see the whole world pieced together!

Interestingly it looks like there's a submarine at the harbor (next to the warship) that's not in the final game which must have been from a beta version.

Amihama.jpg

Superb work. Nicely done

This is 1986 so it's probably got a bunch of nukes aimed at the Soviets on board.

When I download the image all I get is a black screen. The jpg it downloads is just a black strip. Is there an external link you can provide? I am very interested in seeing this image! Thank you.

Very cool dude! I'll be staring at this all day now lmfao...

I have waited patiently multiple times and it still loads a blank black image. Oh well. I will try again later on my computer rather than my smart phone. Thank you.

I have waited patiently multiple times and it still loads a blank black image. Oh well. I will try again later on my computer rather than my smart phone. Thank you.
Prolly too big a file for your smartphone to render, I've had that issue before...

Download it, instead of opening it in the browser.
I've tried that a number of times already. Thx tho. :)

EDIT: Magic happened. It worked! It is a beautiful image of the Shenmue 1's map. Great job Glumok. (y)

Last edited:
It is indeed a submarine, I have no clue what its purpose was!
index.php
Thanks for the close-up view. There are actually several subs stationed around Yokosuka harbor so it could have made a cool inclusion.

yokosuka-sub.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that submarine was a B plan to take Ryo to hong kong in case the boat didn't work.
However, a submarine ticket would be even more expensive.
We would have to work as a forklifter for a whole year.
It would be a pleasure for me tho.

Looking at the maps it would seem Shenmue could well have been a larger game than we got. Maybe hardware limitations got in the way?

Back