Shenmue 1 US>PAL save convert not doing it

Salutations

Got a sweet deal for both for Dreamcast. I checked out bucanero's converter, go into Shenmue 2 and does not see it in continue

Then I fired up Dream Explorer AKA VMU Tool and checked the guide here to look @ the hex

..everything checks out. This a save left-over from previous owner of 4x card, file 1 says disc 3 cleared then disc 1 in progress then disc 3 in progress

Am I overlooking something here? Cheers!

Nevermind. I see that you are using the same one I linked.

Last edited:
Do what I did: import PAL Shenmue ch1.

Don't convert, just keep your file unmodified and use the cheat device code to let you import US and Japanese save files into the PAL version.

Import any region Shenmue 1 save file
0205AAA4 910B6241
0105AAAA 0000A003

If you don't have a cheat disc, I'd recommend burning a copy of Codebreaker since it works a little better with games than Gameshark did.

If you're using a burnt version of codebreaker, you have to use a bootloader made for it as well to get it running, so make sure the download comes with it which will be a separate disc.

Codebreaker burn doesn't change anything, it just doesn't work on CDs but I'm rocking the GDs my good feller

I must try those codes.. such a shame though because honestly I don't recall if I backed up the save untouched. Then again it still showed herself in Shenmue 1

Giving this a go near future, THANKS!

Codebreaker burn doesn't change anything, it just doesn't work on CDs but I'm rocking the GDs my good feller

I must try those codes.. such a shame though because honestly I don't recall if I backed up the save untouched. Then again it still showed herself in Shenmue 1
Yeah, I noticed your post that you bought them, implying they were originals.
If Shenmue 1 was still reading your save file, then you never modified it and you should be fine to import it into 2 via the cheat code. Shenmue 1 US version will refuse to start a new game if there is a PAL region save file on your memory card. I was so confused the first time this happened to me and now just leave my files in US format.

eSmO86N.jpg

Long time

Don't know if effective? Main menu I don't see import, am I supposed to get ingame first

Sorry not played enough Shenmues! I know my Shenmue 1 save has Disc 3 cleared, Disc 1 progress, Disc 3 progress

EDIT: I was 'sposed to hit New Game after all! Merry Holidays!!!

Yeah, I noticed your post that you bought them, implying they were originals.
If Shenmue 1 was still reading your save file, then you never modified it and you should be fine to import it into 2 via the cheat code. Shenmue 1 US version will refuse to start a new game if there is a PAL region save file on your memory card. I was so confused the first time this happened to me and now just leave my files in US format.
You can not even start a new game if the other version is inserted into the DC. It is really quite annoying. Anyone know why you cannot have two different versions on the same memory card or what purpose that is suppose to serve? I have two legit different copies, only using a cheat disc to get the Japanese version to boot up on the DC. I guess I will need to actually have two VMUs (I believe I do somewhere anyway...) to play both games. Do all DC games from two different regions demand this or just Shenmue?

You can not even start a new game if the other version is inserted into the DC. It is really quite annoying. Anyone know why you cannot have two different versions on the same memory card or what purpose that is suppose to serve? I have two legit different copies, only using a cheat disc to get the Japanese version to boot up on the DC. I guess I will need to actually have two VMUs (I believe I do somewhere anyway...) to play both games. Do all DC games from two different regions demand this or just Shenmue?
It varies on a game by game basis, but I don't know of any game other than Shenmue with this problem. They might exist.
Part of the problem is that the file name for the save file is the same for all regions despite the file having region lockout.

In cases of other games, they changed the file name between versions of the game so this problem would not exist. Like the original Japanese Sonic Adventure can co-exist with the US version because it's a different save file.

Ahh I re-read your post, got curious

I dug out VMU with Dino Crisis 1 PAL on it but Shenmue 1 US has started new game well I hit Load I hit Continue then New Game then when it decided to make the 80 blocks

Back