Shenmue 2 HD MIDI weirdness and modding

Just curious if anyone has taken a stab at fixing the MIDI weirdness found in Shenmue 2 HD?

It seems that the issues with tracks stem from:
  • Sustain / release is too long (ex. Queens St day flute, Menu theme warm pads causing undesired dissonance during chord changes before loop)
  • Voice sample incorrectly pitched (ex. Workers Pier, stringed instrument is off pitch slightly)

It's basically been done. You can replace using Forklift, although not all the tracks sound right in that Dreamcast-music pack either. There's a list of what file is what music, so the only thing left is a proper list of what tracks are broken in the rerelease and check if those are ok in the DreamcastMusic.7z ... and then repack only those I guess.

That's awesome. Do you know why there are some incorrect sounding tracks in the Dreamcast-music pack, out of curiosity?

That's awesome. Do you know why there are some incorrect sounding tracks in the Dreamcast-music pack, out of curiosity?
Two reasons:
1. Dreamcast music support uses the same playback logic as Shenmue 1 HD which is different from the music playback for the XBOX tracks. The Dreamcast player is better overall, but even in Shenmue 1 there are minor issues with a few tracks and we're stuck with those bugs until we replace the audio playback completely.
2. Someone figured out that the logic I was using to convert the instrument samples from Dreamcast to PC was still slightly incorrect in that version of the tracks that I uploaded. I updated DTPKUtil with a fix but never got around to uploading a new pack because I was doing other things and we never finished sorting out which DC tracks to include versus which were fine in the XBOX player as-is. I don't think the sample decoder bug would have affected any of the melodies though, there were just some instances where there could be some light crackling/static because it wasn't handling the upper volume range correctly.

Back