Shenmue 3 Demo Review

10/10, flawless victory. Left me shook but in a good way. (y)
hahaha I wish you worked at IGN pal ;)

Herbs are not just for selling man, look in exchange. Too bad there aren't pawn shops in the demo... There are 3 moves to get via the herbs. New fighting will grow on them once they play some and Gold Tiger makes them seem like they know nothing. Then they'll spar, start doing the moves. Discover there's a method to the madness. I still say I haven't played something this fun that was new in years.

Yeah I know man :)
And I can see where Yu Suzuki is going with this.
There will be certain moves that you can only unlock with certain herbs or Items.
That way, the move will be dependant on some lucky hit plays, some herbs findings and possible other activities:)
Suzuki said many times that, the elements in this game will be much more interconnected.
I can see what he means now!
If one is up to collect all the moves in this game, he can expect to do may different kinds of activities to achieve that.

I love this mechanic!

Last edited:
It's impossible to review something that's inherently unfinished. To any complaints about the amount of content I'd say this: we've got less than 2 months to wait. Just be patient.

One thing's for sure, if you played the demo and didn't enjoy it, you're probably not going to enjoy the final game, so be prepared :coffee:

With that said, I think the general positivity surrounding the demo speaks for itself, and it has extended beyond the most hardcore fan communities as well, which is nice to see. The demo was mentioned on The Retro Hour podcast this week, and all the articles I've read have been positive. I've struggled to find any overly-negative impressions which is kind of kind of insane given the relatively high number of $100+ backers (yes, they're mostly fans, but you'd expect some level of expectation and scrutiny).
Read Kintor then on Kickstarter. I doubt he played it though, just saw the video. I stopped being mad, he's funny. You can tell he was never a fan. Might have given $5 to post on there. Great comedy though!

Read Kintor then on Kickstarter. I doubt he played it though, just saw the video. I stopped being mad, he's funny. You can tell he was never a fan. Might have given $5 to post on there. Great comedy though!
That would be the fake Kintor troll. The real Kintor posts here as well and is a fan.

That would be the fake Kintor troll. The real Kintor posts here as well and is a fan.
Yeah I've read about that there too. I wonder what those characters will do once it's out and it sells like crazy. How petty they'll seem. I swear I knew nothing, or cared nothing about Epic Games store. I installed Steam in the first place cause Skyrim demanded it. I found Steam annoying doing their ads after I played what I cared about. Sticking itself everywhere. But I figured it's a bloatware some games need. Later I got a few more on it. Got used to it, but never worshiped it. Moment one it was announced Epic was needed for Shenmue, I installed it. Also intrusive, ads for their games pop up too. The demo loaded very fast, played fine, updated fine. The demo, and I'm guessing the full can be loaded onto Steam, and use lots of Steam's configuration for controllers not just recognized by the game.

Why should anyone care what icon they click before clicking play? Especially if it can even be Steam if it matters so much... Why do decisions made by the companies producing games matter to the end user that has to do almost nothing different to play the game? I do care now, it made me care. I want Epic to succeed, I want them to go big and as Nintendo, SEGA, Sony and MS to steal IP from others for exclusives to do it. The Steam worship on PC must end. If their demon Tim Sweeney has that much money, and is serious, I want him to announce full funding for Shenmue 4, yes with an understanding that maybe even half of the profits will go to him after, same from Sony. I wish the exclusive was not for one year. It has to be cemented in their brains, it's a dumb icon you click to update a game if it needs it, check files if it's broken, and click play. Epic does that, it does it fast and no it didn't bother my PC playing the game with it's footprint.

Yeah I've read about that there too. I wonder what those characters will do once it's out and it sells like crazy. How petty they'll seem. I swear I knew nothing, or cared nothing about Epic Games store. I installed Steam in the first place cause Skyrim demanded it. I found Steam annoying doing their ads after I played what I cared about. Sticking itself everywhere. But I figured it's a bloatware some games need. Later I got a few more on it. Got used to it, but never worshiped it. Moment one it was announced Epic was needed for Shenmue, I installed it. Also intrusive, ads for their games pop up too. The demo loaded very fast, played fine, updated fine. The demo, and I'm guessing the full can be loaded onto Steam, and use lots of Steam's configuration for controllers not just recognized by the game.

Why should anyone care what icon they click before clicking play? Especially if it can even be Steam if it matters so much... Why do decisions made by the companies producing games matter to the end user that has to do almost nothing different to play the game? I do care now, it made me care. I want Epic to succeed, I want them to go big and as Nintendo, SEGA, Sony and MS to steal IP from others for exclusives to do it. The Steam worship on PC must end. If their demon Tim Sweeney has that much money, and is serious, I want him to announce full funding for Shenmue 4, yes with an understanding that maybe even half of the profits will go to him after, same from Sony. I wish the exclusive was not for one year. It has to be cemented in their brains, it's a dumb icon you click to update a game if it needs it, check files if it's broken, and click play. Epic does that, it does it fast and no it didn't bother my PC playing the game with it's footprint.

With the amount of money that Epic paid for 1 year exclusivity, they may have helped greenlight Shenmue IV before III is even released.

With the amount of money that Epic paid for 1 year exclusivity, they may have helped greenlight Shenmue IV before III is even released.
I don't think Deep Silver is gonna invest anything of that money in Shenmue IV at least until III proves itself to be a success (and then if III is a success, IV probably would have happened anyway)

Ys Net may have received some % directly too. But I doubt that a fraction of the expected PC sales, which seems to be the key on determining how much they get, is nearly enough to green-light IV by itself.

I found Steam annoying doing their ads after I played what I cared about.
Steam > Settings > Interface > Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases.

If their demon Tim Sweeney has that much money, and is serious, I want him to announce full funding for Shenmue 4
You and I and everybody, I think. But that's not what Epic is doing.

I wish the exclusive was not for one year. It has to be cemented in their brains ...
Then Epic should pay more money. Or should your feud take priority over "the decisions made by companies producing games"? I'm not sure who is really the fanatic here now.

I don't think Deep Silver is gonna invest anything of that money in Shenmue IV at least until III proves itself to be a success (and then if III is a success, IV probably would have happened anyway)

Ys Net may have received some % directly too. But I doubt that a fraction of the expected PC sales, which seems to be the key on determining how much they get, is nearly enough to green-light IV by itself.

Steam > Settings > Interface > Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases.

You and I and everybody, I think. But that's not what Epic is doing.

Then Epic should pay more money. Or should your feud take priority over "the decisions made by companies producing games"? I'm not sure who is really the fanatic here now.
Before the attack on Shenmue 3 becoming an exclusive I didn't know, or care there was Epic games. But oh yes, now I'm very much a fanatic. We'll see what happens, but if it sells really good on PC at launch, much more than even people who love it here expect it to, you might just be surprised. For example, if Bill Gates personally bankrolled Shenmue 3 in 2002, I'd not only buy his Xbox, I'd have become an Xbox fanatic. Instead it was a move so much worse than anything PC gamers are so upset about now, it's nuts. Forcing U.S. users who don't know any better to pay for new hardware to play already existing Shenmue 2 in existing English. With just voice acting added, which so many hate the quality of still. I hope it succeeds on PC at launch. I really, really do... There's nothing wrong with the demo on PC for example being where it is. It was loaded fast, it almost never intrudes launching it. I saw zero negatives installing it where I did. Best of luck to them stealing even more exclusives. Making their store a bit better, and killing the Steam cult.

Before the attack on Shenmue 3 becoming an exclusive I didn't know, or care there was Epic games. But oh yes, now I'm very much a fanatic. We'll see what happens, but if it sells really good on PC at launch, much more than even people who love it here expect it to, you might just be surprised. For example, if Bill Gates personally bankrolled Shenmue 3 in 2002, I'd not only buy his Xbox, I'd have become an Xbox fanatic. Instead it was a move so much worse than anything PC gamers are so upset about now, it's nuts. Forcing U.S. users who don't know any better to pay for new hardware to play already existing Shenmue 2 in existing English. With just voice acting added, which so many hate the quality of still. I hope it succeeds on PC at launch. I really, really do... There's nothing wrong with the demo on PC for example being where it is. It was loaded fast, it almost never intrudes launching it. I saw zero negatives installing it where I did. Best of luck to them stealing even more exclusives. Making their store a bit better, and killing the Steam cult.
Well ... aren't you exaggerating now? I think most Americans prefer playing with an English dub (no matter how terrible), and many Shenmue fans love their Corey Marshall (no matter how terrible). Besides, I saw zero negatives playing imported games with Utopia bootdisk. It loaded fast too, lovely reindeer. And the Dreamcast was killed around that time, so what better time to buy new hardware and at the same time give Shenmue a fresh opportunity? Best of luck to Peter Moore stealing more exclusives for Liverpool too.

Well ... aren't you exaggerating now? I think most Americans prefer playing with an English dub (no matter how terrible), and many Shenmue fans love their Corey Marshall (no matter how terrible). Besides, I saw zero negatives playing imported games with Utopia bootdisk. It loaded fast too, lovely reindeer. And the Dreamcast was killed around that time, so what better time to buy new hardware and at the same time give Shenmue a fresh opportunity? Best of luck to Peter Moore stealing more exclusives for Liverpool too.
Again, fresh opportunity, a true way to get me and about a million more to buy his Xbox, would have been a huge announcement with Suzuki on stage about Shenmue 3. Not stealing Shenmue 2 after exactly what you said. I and so many more already played it in the U.S. The dub I bring up as far as others go. I liked the English dub for the main actors. Some passerby in Shenmue 1 sounded so horrible, so fake. I bet they were the techs working on localizing, and not any kind of actors. Corey Marshal was fine with the longer lines.

Back