Shenmue 3 engine, performance

Since I finished 3 and started with Uncharted remastered part 1 on PS4 a question came to mind which probably has been asked before.

How is it that the FPS for example when circling the character is so fluid? I know they have a bigger budget. But does it all come down to optimisation? Or is unreal not capable to pull this off?
That said, I love Shenmue 3

Well for one you are comparing a remaster to original game. Uncharted on PS3 constantly dropped below 30FPS with frequent screen tearing. The remaster remedied this with locked 60FPS performance as you can see from video by DF-

A lot of games this generation on consoles have suffered in performance on Unreal Engine 4. Either unable to keep a locked framerate or suffering from poor frame pacing. Many of us felt they should have locked the console version at 30FPS or at least had option for Pro users which would have provided a lot more stability than unlocked framerate.

The silver lining to this is with backwards compatibility we may get to run game at 60FPS like PC version on PS5.

Hopefully we get a complete edition down the line with some improvements, then or a ps5 version which should be similar to the PC version with a good rig in terms of performance and resolution

I bought a Ps4 and made my first playthrough of Shenmue 3 on the console's original 1TB HDD drive and noticed a lot of Pop in's specially npc's and also a significant performance hit in some areas of Niaowu.
Meanwhile I decided to buy an external 1TB SSD drive because my games library as been increasing with my PS4 Plus subscription and besides with SSD's games load much faster. With this in mind I transfered Shenmue 3 to the SSD drive and I can confirm that the loading times are much faster and I also noticed a slight boost in performance with less drops and much less npc's poping in, but I don't recomend buying an SSD just to improve the performance in Shenmue 3; but if you are thinking in increasing your PS4's storage space for your games and at the same time have a slight boost in performance and faster loading times then I highly recomend you to buy an SSD drive over an HDD one.

Back