Shenmue 3 FREE on Epic Game Store 16/12/21 - 17/12/21

So did we ;)

In all seriousness this is a good move. I've already had a couple friends plunge on the originals pending this as well. So that's good news.

Now get all 3 on PlayStation Plus!

I got 2 copies for the ps4 already. My slacker backy copy and a digital one but I was getting the get pc version at same point in the future anyway. So i would be glad if Epcic games really gives the game away.

This can only be a good thing, but I do hope that YsNet get royalties out of this!

This can only be a good thing, but I do hope that YsNet get royalties out of this!
I expect it will depend on the uptake. The Epic exclusivity deal likely included a fixed purchase on Epic’s part (probably between 200,000 and 250,000 units). If Epic only sold 50,000 of those up until now, it’s possibly that they have enough left over to cover the amount of people who’ll be claiming a free copy and thus can give it away now without any additional cost. In the event that significantly more people take the free copy, I assume they’ll have a deal with DS already in place (maybe a dollar or two per excess copy) and that YSNet will take a cut of that in developer royalties.

Anyone else having trouble claiming the free copy? I got an error page the first time and then a "we couldn't process your order" error on my next attempt.

Other than that, looking forward to playing this version on my TV at some point so I can see how the environments look in native 4K resolution!

Anyone else having trouble claiming the free copy? I got an error page the first time and then a "we couldn't process your order" error on my next attempt.

Other than that, looking forward to playing this version on my TV at some point so I can see how the environments look in native 4K resolution!
I was getting this error until I learned that you must turn on two-factor authentification on in your account settings, then logout and log back in then redeem

Searching for Shenmue under Google News brings up the freebie Shenmue quite a lot, so that's a lot of publicity (although Eurogamer is the only one I dare click on as everything else is something I don't know).

Normally i'd be upset if something was given away for free after spending hundreds on it, but Shenmue is an exception. If it gets more people into the games > into the anime > into wanting Shenmue IV, then i'm all for it!

EDIT: Did see this comment on Siliconera which made me chuckle

1639693466957.png

Great news. I already have a friend who's struggling to redeem it though. Hopefully everyone can grab it!

Gotta have a chuckle at the same old sad sacks in the same old places, bitching about the same things they were bitching about 2 years ago. I don't know about you, but as an adult I tend to move past video game grievances pretty quick 🤫

I wonder if there is any reason for this.
why free? why now?
Maybe Ys Net and Epic games closed a deal for the development of Shenmue 4 and then they decided to give the game for free to celebrate !?
Epic could also be giving the game for free to see how many players pick it up to see if there are any new players interested in the series and if it is worth investing on a new game of the series.

Even if none of the above is applicable, we should be lobbying Epic to bankroll the rest of the series anyway.

They made $3.3 billion in revenue last year alone, a $50-60 million budget is a drop in the ocean for them, and they're certainly not adverse to, um, throwing money away (lawsuits, EGS freebies/exclusivity deals). For anybody else the sales metrics and profit targets would kill the idea stone dead before YsNet even got their foot in the door, but with Epic there's the chance they might do it just because they can. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, EGS has given away much bigger, more successful games than S3, and also much smaller, presumably less successful games. I don't think the giveaway says anything in particular about S3 besides the obvious: the game's pretty much hit its sales ceiling on EGS, it's not bringing in much $$$ at this point, so the exposure of giving it away makes sense for both EGS and Deep Silver.

That said, the fact they chose it as the first game in their giveaway is a compliment, I think. They want to grab headlines and kick it off with a bang, and judging by the store glitching and crashing, I'd say it worked.

Yeah, EGS has given away much bigger, more successful games than S3, and also much smaller, presumably less successful games. I don't think the giveaway says anything in particular about S3 besides the obvious: the game's pretty much hit its sales ceiling on EGS, it's not bringing in much $$$ at this point, so the exposure of giving it away makes sense for both EGS and Deep Silver.

That said, the fact they chose it as the first game in their giveaway is a compliment, I think. They want to grab headlines and kick it off with a bang, and judging by the store glitching and crashing, I'd say it worked.
You forgot people being upset at Shenmue 3 being given away for free, yet having no ties to the series lol.

Back