Shenmue 3 FREE on Epic Game Store 16/12/21 - 17/12/21

I wonder if there is any reason for this.
why free? why now?
As other have pointed out already, Epic are always giving away free games, particularly at Christmas. As for why Shenmue 3, it’s possible that they still have copies left over from the exclusivity deal. It’s also a fairly old game at this point, so negotiating a deal for more copies with Deep Silver (a publisher they already have a pretty good working relationship with) likely didn’t cost them too much. Everybody wins though, really.

Damn, I already have it on Epic and steam, but still claimed it (Idk why it let me lol)

Epic Games is giving away 1 free game everyday from now through Christmas. Shenmue 3 was the first of those games. It's just part of a holiday giveaway promotion.
And the fact that S3 its the first game it's great. It's not a random place, it's the first one. It's a great move to put Shenmue series on the radar.

Even if none of the above is applicable, we should be lobbying Epic to bankroll the rest of the series anyway.

They made $3.3 billion in revenue last year alone, a $50-60 million budget is a drop in the ocean for them, and they're certainly not adverse to, um, throwing money away (lawsuits, EGS freebies/exclusivity deals). For anybody else the sales metrics and profit targets would kill the idea stone dead before YsNet even got their foot in the door, but with Epic there's the chance they might do it just because they can. 🤷‍♂️
We definitely need to brainstorm some big time players include in our shenmue tweets. Tim sweeny and epic are right at the top if you ask me.

Epic could easily fund shenmue 4 and make all the money back in a couple of dsys.

Id put the virtual fighter producer up there for a potential shenmue x Vf dlc pack, and id even include phil Spencer for the sake of it. Sega and RGG aswell

At one point Annapurna was really pushing for another Shenmue. They're a publisher. I don't think they've ever published anything as big as Shenmue...

https://twitter.com/AnnapurnaPics/statu ... 0126956544

For all I know it was just an errant social media manager that's long gone... but worth pushing if you're pushing Tweets at people, y'know? Of course this was all pre-Shenmue 3 as well.

Back