Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

I mean this with all due respect, but I think Yu Suzuki is probably something of a control freak when it comes to the games he develops. I've read as much. I doubt there's anything anyone here could say to get him to change a single element of the game.

I don't think outsourcing that work was a good idea.

1. They didn't outsource the entire character model design work. The majority is being handled in house. They outsourced character model designs for mostly non-story related random NPCs. Without doing this, Suzuki stated that the number of characters in Shenmue III would be much smaller than either Shenmue 1 or 2.

(especially to India of all places)

2. Borderline racist... but okay. Lakshya Digital have worked on numerous acclaimed and well received games.

I mean this with all due respect, but I think Yu Suzuki is probably something of a control freak when it comes to the games he develops. I've read as much. I doubt there's anything anyone here could say to get him to change a single element of the game.

That’s a very good point, and, like all true auteurs, all the artistic decisions should get YS’ final approval (and they will).

At the same time, I doubt he’s personally researching these various tech companies himself. I assume he delegates such tasks to his entourage, who then bring him lists of suggestions. This is probably how we ended up with a company like Awesome Japan, who IIRC had been personally used by Kenji Itoso in the past.

Anyway, knowledge is power. It never hurts to hear about one more fantastic company that does incredible work for “cheap”. Who knows, we might even get lucky and avoid the “Awesome Japan” of facial animations this time….or, conversely, our man YS might just decide that Cubic Motion’s animations would look like crap in a stylized game like Shenmue, and that ____ is the way to go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think all of the characters from the new trailer are from Lakshya Digital. Lan Di looks almost exactly like Ryos model from last year (like seriously it looks like they just threw a wig on it). The characters we've seen from Lakshya so far have a different style to them.

Yeah I think Lakshya are more likely to have worked on the NPCs you can see when Ryo leaves the boat, which look great imo.

I don't think all of the characters from the new trailer are from Lakshya Digital. Lan Di looks almost exactly like Ryos model from last year (like seriously it looks like they just threw a wig on it). The characters we've seen from Lakshya so far have a different style to them.
I looked at a side by side comparison of modern Lan Di with Dreamcast Lan Di and I noticed very little difference. I'm serious. I think it'd be cool if we could do a thread of side by side matches so we can see how hyperbolic some people are being. Saying he looks like Ryo in a wig is pretty damn hyperbolic.

After the last trailer it was said the facial animation rig had to be re-done at the last minute, which explained why they looked so lifeless. Stupidly I believed that. What's the excuse this time? Could the person who animated Shenhua's lip-sync not also move her eyeballs, even just a little bit? I work as an animator and it'd take me 30 mins to do this for her monologue. My fear is that they never intend to animate the eyes in the final game. They will only ever stare forwards like sesame street puppets.

1. They didn't outsource the entire character model design work. The majority is being handled in house. They outsourced character model designs for mostly non-story related random NPCs. Without doing this, Suzuki stated that the number of characters in Shenmue III would be much smaller than either Shenmue 1 or 2.

2. Borderline racist... but okay. Lakshya Digital have worked on numerous acclaimed and well received games.

I could care less if you call me a racist, but that comment was fine. Shenmue is a Japanese series. Shenmue III wouldn't be the same if it were developed in its entirety elsewhere, and even just one element will likely stand out as seen in this trailer. As I said before, the reason they did it is cost. If they could afford it, I guarantee they would have either hired more modelers or outsourced to a Japanese company. Note that I never said anything about the quality of Lakshya's work. Even if their models were arguably the best in the world, I would prefer what fits with the game and with the series. What we've seen so far bears little resemblance to the Shenmue I & II we know and love.

Let's leave it there with the India thing please. Last thing we need is the thread derailing into this sort of debate.

Not going to lie, when I saw the trailer I first thought "why is Ryo wearing Lan Di's outfit?"

Environments look amazing, Shenhua's voice sounds good, general direction seems fine. Characters still need work, facial animations need a lot of work, fighting looked more like they were dancing. I hope these issues get sorted out before release.

I looked at a side by side comparison of modern Lan Di with Dreamcast Lan Di and I noticed very little difference. I'm serious. I think it'd be cool if we could do a thread of side by side matches so we can see how hyperbolic some people are being. Saying he looks like Ryo in a wig is pretty damn hyperbolic.
shenmue_iii_ryu (1).pngScreenshot_20180821-040401.jpg1534869686617__01.jpg
Its not even funny how the same it is

Do a side-by-side comparison of this Lan Di to the old Lan Di. They're not as different as you think. That's all I have to say about it.

Back