Shenmue 3 got Major Exposure

19.6m subscriber base and over 400k views.

I'm getting so many mixed feeling, like I know we're niche but for a niche title, Its influence and reach in pop culture is so far and wide. Even Celebs and people in other professional field of entertainment knows Shenmue. Both East and West. :eek::oops::whistle:

A couple of those kiddies are insane, but whatever.

Yea, Shenmue is "basically" the new Lora Croft in the way it has broken cultural barriers, and is known by people not even in the know or even into the gaming scene.

That's nice. I used to watch all the react shows with these guys in. A few of them are usually pretty idiotic when it comes to video games (and a lot of stuff, now I think about it), so the comments don't surprise me. Then again, the E3 trailer is goofy as hell, if they had shown the new Prophecy trailer I think their reaction would have been a little better.

How does this trailer look like a PS2 game or a game that came out in the early 2000s?:ROFLMAO: People really need to check how games looked like back then.

Well, anyway. I guess some mainstream exposure can't hurt. Whatculture playing the demo would be great too.
Yeah I really dont know how anyone could take the ps2 comments seriously. Some ps2 games still had blocks for heads & even MGS 2 which is superb looking didnt have the character models of Shenmue in terms of detail.

Also on the topic of exposure, more aimed at wrestling fans, but via the 500k I saw that Kenny Omega backed Shenmue III on kickstarter.

Yeah the PS2 comments are pretty annoying. I mean you can say PS3 game based on these early trailers, but they clearly don't remember what PS2 games look like. They would quickly change their minds if they fired up a PS2 game up on an LCD TV and then they would be shocked at how ugly it would look, though PS2 games look rich and sharp on a CRT with s-video or component, yet even on a CRT, no PS2 game looks like Shenmue III.

I do agree that I wish they used a better trailer for the games myself. Either way, I feel like this with all of this going on, that we are indeed going to get some good sales for the game one way or another.

Last edited:
Apart from the one guy with the magic PS2 with graphics from the future, those college kids were pretty nice about the game! Especially so considering it's the old E3 stuff :)

Lots of people in the comments excited for Shenmue 3 and Cyberpunk. Maybe the Yu praising tweets from Gamescom had an effect !

Last edited:
Yeah the PS2 comments are pretty annoying. I mean you can say PS3 game based on these early trailers, but they clearly don't remember what PS2 games look like. They would quickly change their minds if they fired up a PS2 game up on an LCD TV though and then they would be shocked at how ugly it would look, though PS2 games look rich and sharp on a CRT though with s-video or component, yet even on a CRT, no PS2 game looks like Shenmue III.

I do agree that I wish they used a better trailer for the games myself. Either way, I feel like this with all of this going on, that we are indeed going to get some good sales for the game one way or another.
You can't honestly say PS3 either. It's an UE4 game. It looks better and is certainly running more effects than most PS4 games.

Yikes. I blame the awful trailer for the shitty PS2 comments. Not sure when this was filmed but they probably used the worst trailer going for the game. I saw a few casual gaming people who know jack shit about Shenmue say it looks like an old game when they saw this trailer.

It's the lip syncing, facial expressions, wooden animation, character design and the trailer's goofy direction that makes it look like a PS2 era game.

If I were a cynic trying to get Shenmue to make money, I’d turn all those negatives into positives through marketing. Kids are all about irony these days.

You can't honestly say PS3 either. It's an UE4 game. It looks better and is certainly running more effects than most PS4 games.

Yeah you're right about that. I was thinking of really early trailers though, but I wasn't thinking of the details.

I can't stomach this kind of youtube content so I didn't watch, but if they really did show the E3 trailer and nothing else, I'm surprised it received anything but negativity. That was by far the worst major trailer imo, the Gamescom one only 2 months later is the best all-arounder.

This pretty much confirms my suspicion that a lot of the "it looks like a PS2 game" people (the ones that aren't trolls) are kids who aren't even old enough to have played on an actual PS2 or haven't played on one since they were toddlers. To them, any game that doesn't aim for photorealism must look like a PS2 game. They have no idea how primitive the graphics in PS2 games really are because they've been looking at Xbox 360/PS3-level graphics or better for most of their lives. The irony is that the graphics in the first two games were so mind-blowingly good for the time that they almost seemed photorealistic.

Also, I love that trailer. I don't understand why so many of you dislike it.

I dont even think any of us here like this trailer, it's abysmal.
I don't think I like pretty much any trailer for the game so far from a marketing standpoint, I think a couple of them are decentish for fans but I really think alot of this games woes of attracting a new audience come down to how poorly made the trailers are. It really needed a trailer like the prophecy one that gives a good feeling of tone and story but then also have the gameplay showcase, it feels like all of them so far end well before when they should have and awkwardly end at that.

I don't think I like pretty much any trailer for the game so far from a marketing standpoint, I think a couple of them are decentish for fans but I really think alot of this games woes of attracting a new audience come down to how poorly made the trailers are. It really needed a trailer like the prophecy one that gives a good feeling of tone and story but then also have the gameplay showcase, it feels like all of them so far end well before when they should have and awkwardly end at that.
Everyone's ragging on the trailer they used here, but I think that's the best one to show the general public so far. It gives the best idea of what Shenmue is like. The Gamescom one was cool for fans, but to an outsider it probably just makes Shenmue look like this bizarre game that combines virtual mechanical arcade games and arena fighting. I bet most people would also find the "Hey mister" kid pretty off-putting, even though a fan can recognize that it's an homage to Shenmue I.

Back